Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Thinking its a PSU issue?

This is a discussion on Thinking its a PSU issue? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My friends computer keeps randomly crashing and running extremely sluggish on boot up, the crashes usually occur when hes playing

Closed Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
Registered Member

My friends computer keeps randomly crashing and running extremely sluggish on boot up, the crashes usually occur when hes playing video games (Minecraft, WC3, Ect....) His computer is rather good to, He has a amd pc with a quad core cpu 2 Gb ram and a fairly decent ati card (dont remember specs he lives a state away from me) but i do know he has probably the shittest psu on gods green earth i looked up the model # on it (because theres no brand name on the sticker) it appears to be a deer PSU? It came with his logisys area 51 case
and hes been running it for about a year now and all of a sudden hes having these issues...

Ive ran him though all the troubleshooting steps i know and hes even reformatted his drives and stopped leaving his computer running 24/7. I had him downgrade from win7 to xp sp3, but its done little good it only slightly slowed the crashes down to not as frequent. So im kind of fishing for other peoples opinions here on what the problem could be, If its the PSU or it could be another component? Any input would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 03:06 PM   #2
Emeritus

The symptoms you describe certainly points to a power issue.
Deer PSU's are about as close to junk as you can get. They have been known to do a lot of damage to other hardware when they fail.
We would need to know the hardware specs to advise on a PSU.
PC Specs?
Pre-Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

Old 02-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #3
Registered Member

It will be a few hours before i can get a hold of him to get the specs for his PC.

The thing is though hes unemployed atm and cant buy a new psu so im going to get him one but me also not being able to afford a high quality psu brings this problem to an issue as i cant afford corsair seasonic or thermaltake psu's.. But i only need something that will keep his computer going untill he gets on his feet I was thinking something along the lines of this Newegg.com - RAIDMAX RX-450K 450W ATX12V Power Supply

I know its a cheapo but its the best i could find for my price range.. and he doesnt run anything heavy on his pc anyways just movies, light gaming, and multi tasking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

No one can tell you what is the best decision or whether a paritcular power supply will run a rig unless they know the video card you are trying to run, so we will wait for that info.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:25 PM   #5
Registered Member

Gpu: ATI HD 4350
Cpu: Amd Athlon II x4 620 2.6ghz
Ram: 2GB DDR3

Let me know if u need anymore info
Old 02-28-2011, 05:56 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

I would not go any cheaper than this >>>> and dont use it any longer than he absolutely needs too! its better than any raidmax but it aint what we think of when you buy a Corsair either!!

Newegg.com - CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 CMPSU-430CX 430W ATX12V Active PFC Power Supply
Old 02-28-2011, 06:01 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

if you could get this one for $55.00 (plus not more than $10.00 shipping) it would be a very smart move / Corsair VX-450 is a very good unit that would last 3 years without worry

Corsair VX 450W Power Supply - eBay (item 280636875348 end time Mar-06-11 12:48:38 PST)
Closed Thread