Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Think My PSU Is Failing

This is a discussion on Think My PSU Is Failing within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys. Lately I've been having an issue with my PC where I turn it on and it shuts itself

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 10:40 AM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Hey guys. Lately I've been having an issue with my PC where I turn it on and it shuts itself off. After a couple tries it stays on and runs fine. It's sorta like a car that doesn't want to start...

I figure it's the PSU cause it's pretty old and I planned on upgrading my graphics card in the next month or two so I figure it's time for a new PSU anyhow. Anyone have any suggestions as far as an upgrade for my PSU and graphics card? All I know for PSU's is to make sure they're bronze certified and a reputable supplier like Seasonic, and graphics cards I'm sorta in the dark on shopping for those.

My current specs r in my build info. R7 and a 450w? Seasonic I believe. Like I said, the PSU is old. It's easily 6+ years.

I'd like to keep PSU around 100$ and maybe set my budget for the graphics card under 400$.

Maybe something like this? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6146992&SID=iyg5i6eyrl002urt00053 ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2017, 06:30 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

It somewhat depends for the PSU wattage on what GPU you have, so let's find one for you first.

What type of games do you play and how much GPU power do you think you'll need?
Old 01-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #3
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Quote:
Maybe something like this?
That's a really good one.

Old 01-28-2017, 05:40 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterchiefxx17 View Post
It somewhat depends for the PSU wattage on what GPU you have, so let's find one for you first.

What type of games do you play and how much GPU power do you think you'll need?
I play Hearthstone, Path Of Exile, League Of Legends, Final Fantasies, and lots of other steam games. Currently I can run anything on the R7 that I've tried but I don't want to be limited by the graphics. If I spend what my budget is I want to be able to run everything on high settings and potentially do some streaming to the living room, and maybe dual monitoring in the future.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:34 AM   #5
Visiting Tech

My System

Seasonic is certainly a reputable brand. I also like EVGA, the upper tier models from Corsair and Antec. You want "at least" Bronze. I personally go for Golds as they are even more efficient therefore generate less heat and (in theory, anyway) will not have to spin their fans so hard, thus will be quieter most of the time.

I agree with Masterchief and you need to determine which graphics card you want before deciding on the size PSU to get.

I recommend you look at the eXtreme Power Supply Calculator to determine your minimum and recommended power supply unit (PSU) requirements. Plan ahead and plug in all the hardware you think you might have in 2 or 3 years. This might include extra hard drives, a bigger or 2nd video card, more RAM, etc. I recommend setting Computer Utilization to 16 hours per day and CPU Utilization to 100%. These steps adjust for capacitor aging and ensure the supply has adequate head room for stress free (and perhaps quieter) operation. These steps also add a little buffer for unplanned future upgrades or added hardware demands.

Note that all power supply calculators tend to pad their results to avoid ever recommending an underpowered supply. It is always okay to buy too big a PSU (except maybe for the budget) but always bad to buy too small. But the eXtreme PSU calculator is, by far, the most conservative (a good thing) when it comes to padding results, and that is due, in part, because it has the most flexibility.

That said, today's PSUs tend to be most efficient when running at or near 50% load, so don't buy too big. Most people would be surprised at how little power a modern computer really uses. Unless you are going for a two graphics card SLI or Crossfire setup, that 750W Seasonic is probably way overkill.

As seen here, with your current setup but with an AMD R7 265 graphics card and 3 x 120mm case fans, a good 500W supply will suit your needs just fine.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 01-28-2017, 10:17 AM   #6
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by shewillnotdie View Post
I play Hearthstone, Path Of Exile, League Of Legends, Final Fantasies, and lots of other steam games. Currently I can run anything on the R7 that I've tried but I don't want to be limited by the graphics. If I spend what my budget is I want to be able to run everything on high settings and potentially do some streaming to the living room, and maybe dual monitoring in the future.
If anything, I'd see a GYTX 1060 being perfect for you. Then for a PSU upgrade, a 550W is more then enough.
Old 01-28-2017, 10:42 AM   #7
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

Seasonic is definitely a great time. Stick with Seasonic brand as they make pretty good power supplies.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:22 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Thanks for the input fellas. Okay, my future upgrades will include the graphics card, upgrading RAM to 16gb, and eventually an additional ssd.

So when I type in gtx 1060 there are like a hundred different kinds on newegg. Not to sound like a noob but I'm really unfamiliar with what sets each specific one apart besides the obvious, like the ports. https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&Description=gtx+1060&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1 How exactly do I determine which one is the best selection? I see an asus, an evga, msi, gigabyte, etc. Some with dual fans, some with just one.

And can we all agree this exact psu will be a solid upgrade then? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-VigLink-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=6146992&SID=iyg5i6eyrl002urt00053 I'm very okay with OVERKILL.

EDIT: This one's fan configuration seems interesting? https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814126115&cm_re=gtx_1060-_-14-126-115-_-Product
Old 02-01-2017, 02:49 PM   #9
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I'm very okay with OVERKILL.
Way overkill is not good. As I noted, power supplies (in particular, 80 PLUS Certified power supplies) are most efficient when run at 50% load (hover over the 80 PLUS logos in that link to see what I mean). It is likely your system will be pulling less than 150W the vast majority of the time. That's just 20% load. When a PSU is running at less than optimal efficiency, that means it is wasting more energy in the form of generated heat! Note the last line of my signature. Extra heat in electronics is never good.

Do not think that more PSU than you need is a good thing. A little head room is good. But overkill is not.

As for the fan of that graphics card, it makes sense to me. It draw in air and blows it directly onto the GPU where it is needed. Then the cowling directs the air over the other heat sensitive devices and straight out the back of the case. That is much better than dumping the card's heat back into the case interior.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:07 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Bright View Post
Way overkill is not good. As I noted, power supplies (in particular, 80 PLUS Certified power supplies) are most efficient when run at 50% load (hover over the 80 PLUS logos in that link to see what I mean). It is likely your system will be pulling less than 150W the vast majority of the time. That's just 20% load. When a PSU is running at less than optimal efficiency, that means it is wasting more energy in the form of generated heat! Note the last line of my signature. Extra heat in electronics is never good.

Do not think that more PSU than you need is a good thing. A little head room is good. But overkill is not.

As for the fan of that graphics card, it makes sense to me. It draw in air and blows it directly onto the GPU where it is needed. Then the cowling directs the air over the other heat sensitive devices and straight out the back of the case. That is much better than dumping the card's heat back into the case interior.
I mean I understand what you're saying. However when looking at what you linked it says loading 20% gives u an efficiency of 87% and 50% efficiency of 90%. So we're talking 3% less, to have one that will be able to handle any upgrade I do in the far future. So I don't see the harm in getting the one I linked.

I believe I'm going to go ahead and purchase the psu and card at the same time. I thought I was going to have to spend upwards to 400 for a decent graphic card upgrade, but if I can do it right at 300 or less I can afford it now with 120 limit on the psu.

Before I purchase though I want to make sure these are all compatible with my current hardware. I shouldn't have any problems running the linked seasonic psu, and the gtx 1060 with my current hardware right? Also I want to make sure I get the best gtx 1060 since there are so many too choose from. Would this one with the different style fan be the best to choose from all the options for gtx 1060 on newegg?
Old 02-01-2017, 05:39 PM   #11
Visiting Tech

My System

I don't get your point about "different style fan". If you look here, there are 1060 cards with dozens of different styles - some with 1 fan, some with 2 fans, some with 3 fans. Who's to say what is "different"?

ASUS is a quality brand. I say if that card has the necessary ports you need, go for it.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
I don't get your point about "different style fan". If you look here, there are 1060 cards with dozens of different styles - some with 1 fan, some with 2 fans, some with 3 fans. Who's to say what is "different"?

ASUS is a quality brand. I say if that card has the necessary ports you need, go for it.
I mean just that! There are all different brands and configurations for the same single card. The gtx 1060. Are they all literally just the same specs with different "looks" and "brands" so it doesn't matter which I pick? I mean if someone wants to purchase a 1060, goes to newegg, and sees like a dozen different 1060s, surely some are better than others right? Cause they're not all the same price. I'm just unaware how to differentiate the MULTIPLE 1060s to find the best one.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:33 AM   #13
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

They are all based on the same GPU chip (nVidia GP 106), and will perform similarly. There are models with 3GB and 6GB of VRAM available. The nVidia reference models have a single fan, blower style cooler and are clocked at 1500MHz (1700MHz boost), and memory speed of 2000MHz.

Licensed manufacturers may produce cards with the reference design or as 'overclocked' versions, and/or with their own cooler designs and features. As stated, they will all perform similarly with less than 5% difference in frames per second in most games.

Read a few online reviews in deciding on which model is best for you. This one compares cards from several manufacturers.
https://uk.hardware.info/reviews/713...-models-tested
Old 02-02-2017, 06:39 AM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Extremely helpful information gcavan ty! So It appears ASUS really is right at the top there when comparing them. While its not the strix OC in their test, I still think I'll go with ASUS and grab the geforce 1060 TURBO. Out of curiosity if you had to choose a 1060 which would it be?
Old 02-02-2017, 06:53 AM   #15
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I mean just that! There are all different brands and configurations for the same single card.
It is important to remember that most computer parts are made by just a small handful of makers. For example, there are only 2 major graphics processor unit (GPU) makers; AMD and NVIDIA. And each GPU has a bunch of associated components (chipset) that go with that specific GPU, and these GPUs and chipsets are compatible with only a limited number of other associated parts. So these resellers (Gigabyte, ASUS, MSI, EVGA) really have few options to make their version stand out from the crowd.

It is similar to GMC and Chevy pickup trucks. The undercarriage, engines, transmissions, etc. are almost identical. Thus they perform almost identically too. Only the exteriors looks different. While GMC and Chevy may have the same parent company, they are still in competition with each other in the same way MSI wants you to pick their card over ASUS' version of the same card. That's not to say the cards are identical otherwise but in general, electronics are reliable. Stick with a major brand and there's no reason you cannot expect years of reliable service.

As I noted above, you need look at your monitor(s) and see what ports/interface needed. If you have two monitors that require HDMI, you don't want a card with 1 HDMI and 1 DisplayPort, or 2 DVI ports, for example.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:59 AM   #16
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
Out of curiosity if you had to choose a 1060 which would it be?
Don't forget your card needs to fit inside your case. Not all cases support long cards. Also, RAM slots on some boards have been known to interfere with long cards. In those situations, you may need to ensure you get low profile RAM.

I like MSI cards, but would not turn down a Gigabyte or ASUS.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Okay this information helps a ton ty. My current card is nvidia and this new one is nvidia according to the specifications so that should be fine.

My current r7 is:

Card Dimensions (L x H)
8.9" x 4.72"

Slot Width
Dual Slot

And the gtx 1060 I'm looking at is about 1.5" longer and still dual slot. That shouldn't be a problem as far as I can tell. I have a large case with lots of room. And the ripjaw ram I use isn't very bulky.

I'm gonna go ahead and purchase the PSU now since I still have random startup problems. And order the 1060 when I get payed next week. Also, this way I can verify I have a clear extra 1.5" of space length wise while I'm in there installing the new psu. Tyvm for the discussion fellas it was very informative.
Old 02-03-2017, 07:40 AM   #18
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
My current card is NVidia...

My current r7...
Ummm, the R7 series are from AMD, not NVIDIA.

Old 02-09-2017, 01:22 PM   #19
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Ummm, the R7 series are from AMD, not NVIDIA.
This is a link to my current r7.... https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121725

It says: Chipset

Chipset Manufacturer
NVIDIA

? ? ?
Old 02-09-2017, 06:18 PM   #20
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

It's an nVidia GTX 650Ti. So why do you call it an R7?
Closed Thread