Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

The right (compatible) memory to get

This is a discussion on The right (compatible) memory to get within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Here are some pages from my motherboard book? Having any trouble reading the text pages? They look ok after I

Closed Thread

Old 01-07-2018, 06:30 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Here are some pages from my motherboard book? Having any trouble reading the text pages? They look ok after I resized them with IRfanview on my desktop, after I uploaded them to photobucket they look bad.

Anyway, what is CAS latency? Here's a DIMM of RAM from my machine, I think it was made my micron, it has no manufacturer info.

The page with the types from each manufacturer is a little confusing. I want to get eight 8 GB DIMMS. The clock frequency will be adjusted it says. So I can get with a higher frequency but it will only work with at a lower one, so you don't have to worry about one that runs too fast.

I want to put heat spreaders on all of them as, even though the one I will get will have a lifetime warranty. Do those need to be glued on to the DIMM's?

I was thinking 2 of these would work.

https://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/...D3N9K4_32G.pdf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Actually there are two more pages of compatible RAM. But, I want to know first if you can read the ones I posted.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:51 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Remember, Bing Google is your friend.

What is CAS latency?

One of the easiest ways to look for compatible RAM is to visit RAM sites and use their memory wizards. These either run a small (and safe!) program on your computer or you manually enter the details of your motherboard or computer. The wizard then provides a list of compatible RAM. Here are some common brand sites.

Corsair Memory Finder (manual data entry only)
G.SKILL RAM Configurator
Kingston Memory Search (manual data entry only)
Patriot Memory Finder (manual data entry only)

You don't have to buy from these sites but typically if you do, they guarantee recommended memory is compatible and will work.

If you don't want to buy any of these brands, just make sure you buy RAM with the same specs as suggested RAM.

BTW, I see you already have 32GB installed. Understand that is already a massive amount. It is highly unlikely you will see any performance gains by adding more RAM, except, maybe, on paper. You already have a nice CPU and graphics card. If me and I was looking for more performance and I already had 32GB of RAM installed, I would look into migrating to SSDs instead.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2018, 07:43 PM   #4
Registered Member

What exactly are you trying to improve on? Seeing your specs makes the post hard to understand.
Closed Thread