User Tag List

Task Manager

This is a discussion on Task Manager within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Help Please, Is there a restore defaults button for Task Manager? I've stopped a few tasks here and there when

Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 12:22 AM   #1
Registered Member

Confused

Help Please,

Is there a restore defaults button for Task Manager? I've stopped a few tasks here and there when I could find no other way of removing frozen sites from the display.

However, I am guessing really. There seems to be a vast amount of processes running for this wee note-book and what I use it for; On line shopping, a bit of photo editing, occasional look at i tunes and lately watching free streamed content from Amazon Prime. Hmmm, perhaps that is quite a bit.

I don't want to stop anything which will harm things but have no idea what should or shouldn't be running for optimum performance.

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

Restarting the PC restarts all the running processes.

Did you remove any bloatware that may have came with the PC?
Old 08-14-2014, 07:55 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
Is there a restore defaults button for Task Manager?
No.

Quote:
but have no idea what should or shouldn't be running for optimum performance.
Remember, Bing Google is your friend. If unsure of a process, plug it in your search engine and see what it is for. But note it is typical for there to be dozens of processes running. I have 80 on this W8.1 system.

The problem is not really an issue with how many, but how they are using your system resources, especially when "in the background".

Is your computer fully updated? Have you scanned for malware? Are you starting programs with Windows (including the above mentioned bloatware - stuff like toolbars, browsers, and updaters installed with other programs, or installed at the factory that you don't need or want?

How much RAM does this notebook have?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
Registered Member

Ctrl+Alt+Suppr
Old 08-23-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
Team Manager
Microsoft Support

OS: Windows10. In the past CP/M, DOS, Windows 95, 2000, 98SE, ME, Vista & Windows 7

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by khichaya View Post
Ctrl+Alt+Suppr
OP can already see what's in the Task Manager. For English speakers Suppr=DEL.

The stability of an OS is in direct proportion to the stability of the user.
Old 08-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #6
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
For English speakers Suppr=DEL.
I was wondering if that was real, or spam. Thanks for clarifying.
Closed Thread