Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

System wont shut down

This is a discussion on System wont shut down within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Not sure if this is a power supply issue or not, let me know if you want it moved to

Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2007, 06:42 PM   #1
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

OS: XP Home SP3 x3 /XP Pro SP3/Vista Ultimate SP2/Win7 Pro 64-BIT

Not sure if this is a power supply issue or not, let me know if you want it moved to a more appropriate forum.

I have an old Toshiba desktop, Pentium lll 450MHz cpu, 256MB memory, 20G H.D.
The power supply needed replaced so I used an Antec 350W (brand new), it Booted up fine but when I go to shut it down it shows the Windows is Shutting Down screen and then the screen goes black but the power is still on the system. I tried another power supply, 300W (used) and it does the same thing. I installed the Windows 98 Shutdown Suppliment update and it did not help.
The only way to shut it down is pull the power cord out of the power supply, when you plug the power cord back in the power supply it starts up the system.

Any thoughts on where to look?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2007, 01:33 AM   #2

Refix the SMPS Power supply to ur Mother Board Otherwise Please Check whether that smps supports ur Motherboard.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:19 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

I am going to stab here and say windows has a bug and isnt finishing the shutdown 100%

have you tried running the system file checker and scan disk ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2007, 06:26 AM   #4
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Quote:
have you tried running the system file checker and scan disk ?
No I havent, will do though
Old 03-22-2007, 06:30 AM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Also
Geekgirl, check through the bios menus on that toshiba in regards to shutdown, power-off, or something of that nature.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:30 AM   #6
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Ran sfc and scan disk, no change. Nothing in the BIOS in regards to shutdown or power-off

Wanted to add, after the screen goes black, the monitor stills shows a green light, it does not change to amber, also the power light is still on the tower but no hard drive activity is shown
Old 03-22-2007, 09:23 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

well seeing as you have tried a diff PSU with the same result, then the next path if not windows problem is a motherboard problem.

you could "test" this guess by booting into a bootable CD like>>>> Barts PE then shut down from within that environment, if it still hangs than it rules out windows and then turns hardware.

If you are not sure how to make a Barts CD then PM me with a mailing address and I will send you one.

Barts PE will give a desktop look just like XP with the same start/ shutdown buttons ??

https://www.tweaksforgeeks.com/Setup_Barts_PE.html
Old 03-22-2007, 09:29 AM   #8
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Actually what I am leaning towards is some type of power management software, these older pcs either require or respond better to their manufacturer software. I am in the process of searching for the mobo drivers or system drivers for this system. Its a Toshiba Value-Priced 3200.
I have Micro 2000, a Universal Diagnostic Toolkit that I can test the hardware with.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:52 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I think your going to find its your motherboard

however; by testing your machine with a bootable media and DOS environment you can eliminate the problem being either your OS or the windows power managment, because if the machine wont power down propoerly while running the Barts PE, which has no power management features then you are in a hardware troubleshooting arena.

Do you get where I am coming from with this GG, did I explain it correctly?

often times what you want to say doesnt coem out
Old 03-24-2007, 03:59 PM   #10
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

I used Micro 2000, the Linear Video Memory test failed. All other tests passed
Removed the video adpater and it wont show nothing on the monitor using the on-board video. Did have it working earlier but its sporatic.
Old 03-25-2007, 04:41 AM   #11
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
The power supply needed replaced so I used an Antec 350W (brand new), it Booted up fine but when I go to shut it down it shows the Windows is Shutting Down screen and then the screen goes black but the power is still on the system. I tried another power supply, 300W (used) and it does the same thing
GG-
There is an outside chance that you happen to use 2 bummers, even though the antec is new.
Old 03-25-2007, 08:33 AM   #12
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

I tested the used power supply, I also placed it in another machine and it is running fine. I am not sure what happened to the Toshiba, my sister was using it and then all the sudden she said it wouldnt power on. This is the 3rd power supply to go into this computer. It was my uncles from S.C., he brought it back on his last visit. I put in a used psu and gave it to my sister, she didnt use it more than a week and the psu needed replaced again. This is where I am now with it.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:00 AM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

GG
Its hard to see with the naked eye, well, at least mine, but with a magnifing glass do the capacitors look ok?
Old 03-25-2007, 09:26 AM   #14
TSF Team Emeritus
Microsoft Support

Yes they look fine, no bulging or leaking of any sort

EDIT:
I just spoke with my sister, she said it always shut down properly for her and she does not recall any power surge happening at the time the psu went out on it. Just doesnt make sense. Only thing different that I have used is of course a working psu (used & new) and the power cord being connected to my ups.
Old 03-25-2007, 10:06 AM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

Take a look at this.
https://support.microsoft.com/kb/238096
Old 03-25-2007, 10:10 AM   #16
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

check apm and pnp are enabled in the bios

Old 03-26-2007, 03:29 AM   #17
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

https://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.htm
https://aumha.org/win4/a/shutdown.htm
There may be a conflict involving the 56K robatics and certain video drivers.
Closed Thread