Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Swapping PSU from one PC to another and no power?

This is a discussion on Swapping PSU from one PC to another and no power? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Got a question. I change power supply in a PC to one that is capable of the PCI-E plug for

Closed Thread

Old 06-05-2016, 04:54 AM   #1
The Patriot

My System

Send a message via AIM to Real_Bullet

Got a question. I change power supply in a PC to one that is capable of the PCI-E plug for video card, but it wont power on, working Power supply. So far the computer only works with the original power supply it came with, its a HP brand.

The PC in question is a Hewlett-Packard p7-1233w and I was going to use an Antec Earthwatts EA-650 on it, all connections fit, but it does not power on.

Any clues?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #2
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

HP doesn't manufacture psus and any Psu should work in it if properly plugged in so I would say your Antec psu is defective based on what we know. Is it new or pulled from a working pc? Have you looked carefully to be certain you didn't dislodge a ram stick or pull another wire off somewhere?

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 06-05-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

Try the bare essentials method and see if that helps at all. Only connect the power supply, motherboard, cpu, one stick of RAM, and the video card.

Also, when you can check the model of your motherboard. When you find it, list the model number here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2016, 11:24 AM   #4
The Patriot

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
HP doesn't manufacture psus and any Psu should work in it if properly plugged in so I would say your Antec psu is defective based on what we know. Is it new or pulled from a working pc? Have you looked carefully to be certain you didn't dislodge a ram stick or pull another wire off somewhere?

It came from a working unit. I had to plug the original PSU back into it and it would work fine.
Old 06-05-2016, 01:45 PM   #5
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

If you are certain you had every plug in properly, then I really don't know what to say as it sounds rather impossible every plug was in its proper place.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 06-05-2016, 06:55 PM   #6
The Patriot

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
If you are certain you had every plug in properly, then I really don't know what to say as it sounds rather impossible every plug was in its proper place.
first time ive ever encountered this problem, I did look at the wide cable that plugs into the motherboard and notice slight different wiring but I dunno if its great enough difference to cause it.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:22 PM   #7
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

The Psu works in another unit but not in this one and the old psu does work in this one so the only real possibility is something that wasn't plugged in properly. If it was something wrong with the cables then it wouldn't work on any unit. There has to be something you are missing. Unless of course I am missing something.

Old 06-06-2016, 12:00 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

Hey Rich,

I've found this multiple times where an HP (or Dell or Gateway) PC has a proprietary, non-standard pinout for the PSU. Could this be one of those cases? Only an exact replacement from the manufacturer would work in these cases.

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 06-06-2016, 12:30 AM   #9
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Was thinking the same thing Wizmo, but the motherboard in the pc in question, a MSI MS-7778 (code name Jasmine), is a standard uATX with 24 pin and 4 pin ATX power connectors. Also, the spec sheet of the PC states the power supply is a 300 watt internal ATX.

PS: I've seen a similar issue several times where a perfectly good motherboard, will simply not POST with certain perfectly good power supplies. Though this was only with a few ASUS boards and traced, I believe, down to the voltage tolerance of the pwr_good circuitry being too tight.
Old 06-06-2016, 04:33 AM   #10
The Patriot

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcavan View Post
Was thinking the same thing Wizmo, but the motherboard in the pc in question, a MSI MS-7778 (code name Jasmine), is a standard uATX with 24 pin and 4 pin ATX power connectors. Also, the spec sheet of the PC states the power supply is a 300 watt internal ATX.

PS: I've seen a similar issue several times where a perfectly good motherboard, will simply not POST with certain perfectly good power supplies. Though this was only with a few ASUS boards and traced, I believe, down to the voltage tolerance of the pwr_good circuitry being too tight.
I know when using the Antec PSU in the HP, when I flip the on and off switch and hit power button, once a while their was click coming from something on the motherboard, but that was it and wasnt all the time.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:32 AM   #11
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Don't know. All I can do is ask that you confirm (again) that all plugs are fully and securely inserted into their respective connectors. Note that the 24-pin main power plug is often a split 20+4, of which the 4-pin section can become detached and can easily be missed when inserting.
Old 06-06-2016, 10:52 AM   #12
The Patriot

My System

Ok, solved the problem.

Threw me off good, apparently pulling the Antec PSU out of a working PC and swapping it to the HP caused the PSU to go "bad". Wouldnt work in the HP, swapped it back to the PC it came out out of, same issue, getting green light on the MB though but it wouldnt power on either, bought a new PSU for the HP, and it works.

Strange a PSU goes bad in between the swap though.
Old 06-06-2016, 11:16 AM   #13
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Wow that had to be or something equally unlikely, so glad you found it this one was getting to me because so little made sense and the unsolvable ones drive us all crazy sooner or later where you just start throwing away parts and eventually solve it by luck.

Old 06-06-2016, 01:36 PM   #14
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Agreed. Personally, I despise swapping out a part because I 'think' the component is bad. I prefer to be able to prove it is bad first.
Old 06-06-2016, 05:49 PM   #15
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Exactly. Good example was a time when I was positive the pc had bad ram yet I ran every version of memtest86 and it showed nothing wrong. I changed the ram and fixed the unit and that was the only time that has ever happened to me.

Closed Thread