Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Surprise shut down

This is a discussion on Surprise shut down within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer (Lenovo L420 8Mb Ram 500G HD Intel i5 2520M) shuts off at seemingly random times. It's not a

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-2016, 01:02 PM   #1
Registered Member

My computer (Lenovo L420 8Mb Ram 500G HD Intel i5 2520M) shuts off at seemingly random times. It's not a shut down, and it does not restart - just a black screen. It happens very quickly - no notice, and I lose unsaved work. I can't tie it to any program or other activity. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2016, 07:18 AM   #2
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
Any thoughts?
First thought is heat. Then failing PSU, failing RAM, failing motherboard, or failing CPU.

I would start by ensuring the interior is clean of heat trapping dust and all fans spin freely. Inspect for any bulging or leaking capacitors. The capacitors are soda can shaped and should be flat on top. If leaking, you will see white to dark brown, dried foam oozing out typically from the tops or bottoms. If bulging, they are under excessive pressure and will likely soon start to leak.

If the interior is already clean, caps look good, your temps are not excessive and fans spin properly, then swap in a known good PSU since everything else depends on good, clean power.

After that, if still shutting down, if your RAM is in two sticks, try just one at time.

You might also look in Event Viewer at the seconds before it shuts down to see if there are any errors logged. But note if the shutdown is too sudden, there may not be any log entries.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Mid-2011 iMac won't shut down
Hello! Glad (bittersweet) to be back, but been struggling with this issue for awhile now on my Mac. Whenever I shut down the Mac properly (Apple dropdown > Shut down > Shut down), it begins the shut down process (I have closed all running applications), then hangs up on the desktop with just the...
Autorita Mac Support 3 10-15-2015 10:23 AM
Computer won't shut down
Like it says in the title, my laptop won't shut down. Not even when I do a force/hard shut down. When I do try to shut down or restart through the Start menu, nothing happens. When I hold the power button, it hibernates instead of shutting down. Any idea what's going on? Additional...
cheesiscool Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 6 08-04-2015 04:36 PM
computer wont shut down.
yes hello to all i have a question as per title my computer refuses to shut down the only changes that i have done is put in the xeon x5460cpu so idk if this could have something to do with it or not i mean i will shut it down and it will go through the process of shutting down u know it will say...
1033ruben Motherboards, Bios & CPU 2 05-17-2015 03:02 AM
Acer Aspire 5742G - Repeated Sudden Shut Downs
For a while now my laptop has been experiencing semi random shut downs. It turns completely off as though someone pulled the cord. Afterwards the laptop will not turn on unless I plug it into a power supply. Initially I thought it was an overheating problem and didn't think much about it...
Topiary Laptop Support 4 03-24-2015 10:52 AM
[SOLVED] Computer won't shut down correctly
I have had a lot of trouble lately with my computer freezing up and not shutting down correctly. One time I shut down my computer (through shut down button) and I left for a meeting. When my husband came home 4 hours later, the computer still said "shutting down", so he shut it down using the...
flydonna Windows 7 , Windows Vista Support 5 10-06-2014 12:58 PM