Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Sudden shut down

This is a discussion on Sudden shut down within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Mobo: ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1 LGA 1150 Intel Motherboard CPU: Intel 4th Generation Core i7-4790K LGA1150 Haswell Processor Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce

Closed Thread

Old 12-17-2016, 12:35 AM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Mobo: ASUS Z97-A/USB 3.1 LGA 1150 Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel 4th Generation Core i7-4790K LGA1150 Haswell Processor
Graphics: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 GAMING 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 Graphics Card
Power: Thermaltake TR2 600W ATX12V V2.3 Power Supply
Ram: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Vengeance
Storage: Hitachi 1TB 5400RPM HDD
HD: Samsung 120GB SSD 850 EVO
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

I built this PC about a year ago, almost exactly, and only just this evening did I suddenly experience a shut down while the computer wasn't under any stress. Once it had shut down it attempted to restart automatically and had only made it past POST before shutting down once more and refusing to start up.

After leaving it unplugged and power cycling the machine for a few minuted I was able to restart and got as far as the Windows login screen before it shut off once more. Upon trying to start it I get a flash of my case lights then nothing.

My suspicion is the PSU as it was where I sorta cheaped out on this build. I don't have a spare to test at the moment, but I wanted an opinion on whether this seemed most likely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2016, 09:58 AM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

You should never cheapen out on the power supply. If it fails, it can take down your entire system with it.

Can you get into the BIOS?

From what you are describing it does sound like a bad PSU. A good XFX or SeaSonic replacement unit is what may be in store.
Old 12-17-2016, 10:21 AM   #3
Registered Member

I had that same problem before, however I ignored it and then one evening the PC switched itself on and then off several times before it made an almighty bang and then a small puff of smoke went up. Fortunately the hdd was in tacked and I managed to salvage all the data and files. I don't want to put the sh*ts up you but get it sorted sooner rather than later.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2016, 12:54 PM   #4
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Does sound like Psu and Clearconfusion no doubt that was your issue.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread