Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

strange problem - random 50% cpu usage

This is a discussion on strange problem - random 50% cpu usage within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey, So my computer has been having a very strange problem for a while now... So I will be running

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2007, 06:28 PM   #1

Hey,

So my computer has been having a very strange problem for a while now...

So I will be running a program and then all of a sudden my computer will "freeze" and my cpu usage goes to exactly 50% due to one program. Many things may cause this issue - opening some in explorere, clicking on the task bar, using outlook... or even firefox.

What is interesting is that this problem never occours when my memory is below a certain mark as reported by taskmgr. However, when it goes about about 700MB my computer starts to do odd things....

I have 2GB of RAM in this laptop.

So i decided to do a memtest with memtest86+ that was installed with ubuntu. The result - computer shutdown when the test was not even finished yet. I did it three times and the furthers it got was 30%.. so i thought maybe one of my ram cards was bad.. so i took one out.. the test got to 70% then failure on both cards running independetly of each other...

So then i am not quite sure if it is a RAM card issue or a RAM slot issue or mother board issue...

When in XP since hte proc goes at 50% my fan goes on high and my computer starts to heat up and is very unresponsive.. i end up having to restart...

do you guys have any suggestions or am i posting in the wrong section?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2007, 03:06 AM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to MaverickUK

I would suggest you try another RAM module that is compatible with your motherboard, that you know is in working order (if possible). We will require you to post your system specifications, please include everything in the next post - this will further help us in our investigations.

Regards,
Nick.
Old 04-19-2007, 10:38 AM   #3

Ok, System Config:

OS - XP Prof. SP2
RAM - 2GB (unsure of type)
Processor - AMD64 TurionX2 1.6GHz
Networking: Wireless - Broadcom b/g Wired - nVidia nForce Network controller
Graphics Card - nVidia GeForce GO 6150 (integrated)
Hard dirve: 1.16GB/73GB free

Laptop type: hp dv2000z CTO
Hope this helps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Try testing your RAM using this program.
https://www.memtest86.com/
Try running it overnight.
Old 04-19-2007, 02:16 PM   #5

i have tried this already. memtest86 was installed when i installed ubuntu so i tried it. the result - computer crashed less than half way day. it just shutdown abruptly. even when only one ram card was in the same error occoured. (i tried both separately)
Old 04-19-2007, 04:16 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Its probably a bad ram chip but
What antivirus / malware programs are installed?
Prop the laptop up on all 4 corners to get it to breath better and possibly cool down.
Laptop coolers are a good investment, as these units run hot just by design.
Old 04-19-2007, 07:14 PM   #7

I have to ram cards, and i put one in one slot. crash. put the other in other slot. crash.

hmm yeah, it does get quite hot.

i use avg antivirus (free), zonealarm firewall (free) and adaware prof.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:58 PM   #8

ok so i did some more tests and stuff...

first i did the windows memory diagnostic test - it went through the first pass fine, but during the second pass it shutdown... so i tried to reboot to win.. shutdown.. so i tried linux, and looked at the GPU temp and proc - GPU 108C proc ~80C so i think it shutdown to overheating.. but how in the world would hte GPU get so hot!?

also, i updated to memtest86+ to 1.7.. same result as before.. GPU was at 115C when i booted up to linux... about same proc temp

why is the GPU getting hot of all things? it doesn't make sense
the GPU - nvidia geforce go 6150 is integrated.. so it like would try to access my physical memory or something when running.. .....

any ideas?
Old 05-01-2007, 07:08 PM   #9

so i did a memtest w/ a fan blowing on the comptuer while elevated:

all 8 tests for the first pass were fine. I didn't have time for a second pass.

So i'm not sure if it is the ram anymore...

I'm going to do a HDD checker tonight and if that passes... then i have no clue. I am also gonna defrag the hdd as well....
Old 05-01-2007, 08:36 PM   #10
TSF Team, Emeritus

Use this program to check your temps and power supply voltages.
https://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html
Old 05-02-2007, 02:10 PM   #11

how will this help me?

Anyway here is what it says when i'm not doing anything, but my fan is on:
CPU 74C
GPU 85C
HDD 53C

Why is the GPU so hot? i'm not doing anything graphics intensive.
Old 05-02-2007, 07:27 PM   #12
TSF Team, Emeritus

Those temps are to high for idle temps. What did the voltages look like?
Closed Thread