Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Storm and lights dimming - pc still on

This is a discussion on Storm and lights dimming - pc still on within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello. I have an question. There is a storm in my country today. Power is on . But there is

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2017, 02:05 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello. I have an question. There is a storm in my country today. Power is on . But there is random lights dimming in house. Pc is still on, and laptop is still on. So why both computers are on and wont turns off when lights are dimming? Thanks. And is this harmful to pc?

Ah i dont have UPS.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2017, 02:32 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

You don't say what country or what power system/voltage. In the US, we use 110-120VAC. If power drops below that (brownout), lights will dim, but many electronic components will not shut down until power drops below a certain threshold, maybe 90VAC or so.

Yes, it can harm components if it recurs often enough.

One thing a UPS will do is adjust/boost power output if the input drops. Get one.
Old 10-05-2017, 02:34 PM   #3
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Since your laptop has a battery to run on, a power brown-out shouldn't be a problem.

Your PC may have a PSU (Power Supply Unit) that was designed to continue running on AC voltage of anywhere from 100 volts to 125 volts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2017, 02:58 PM   #4
Game Team Tech

It's best to turn them off at the mains to prevent further damage to them also any electronic devices like tv set top boxes, if you have a storm lights will dim like in a thunder storm. I have mine connected to a surge protector. Hold the power button on you pc and laptop until they power down then wait 5-10 mins before trying to boot them up.
Old 10-06-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
Registered Member

I have PSU Corsair 750 RM.

So it can harm pc if during storm my lights in house flickered for 1 seconds? How can i check if my pc is ok?

Yesterday in my house lights flickered for 1 second few times. But pc not shutted down,and laptop not shutted down too. ( laptop is without battery ).
Old 10-11-2017, 03:43 PM   #6
Game Team Tech

normally your lights are on a different supply to your mains sockets, and have there own fuse on the fuse box in the house, unless they turn off they will be fine.
Old 10-12-2017, 06:49 AM   #7
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confounded Also View Post

One thing a UPS will do is adjust/boost power output if the input drops. Get one.
Ditto!

Compared to the cost of all of the equipment they protect, they are cheap.

If money's a bit tight at the moment, a good surge protector is better than nothing.
Closed Thread