Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Starting Computer Up Issues

This is a discussion on Starting Computer Up Issues within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey, i posted here around a week ago in regards to a problem with the booting up of my pc.

Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2009, 01:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

Send a message via MSN to andrew123

Hey, i posted here around a week ago in regards to a problem with the booting up of my pc.
heres the link:
https://www.techsupportforum.com/f210/solved-starting-up-computer-issues-419188.html
All seemed well when replacing the power supply however a few days ago it began to do what it did before, only this time it never actually boots up properly. I've tried several power supplies and have had the same results. When it boots up you can kind of hear a few stutters as if it is repetitively restarting. The fan stops after these noises then starts again, however nothing happens. Here are my specs which i got from a thread ages ago.
> Mainboard : Gigabyte 8I945P Pro

> Chipset : Intel i945P

> Processor : Intel Pentium 4 630 @ 3000 MHz

> Physical Memory : 1024 MB (2 x 512 DDR2-SDRAM )

> Video Card : Nvidia Corp GeForce 6600

> Hard Disk : ST3200822AS (200 GB)

> DVD-Rom Drive : PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110D

> DVD-Rom Drive : HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8164B

> DVD-Rom Drive : IV9218L CPZ856S SCSI CdRom Device

> Monitor Type : ViewSonic VX715 - 17 inches

> Network Card : Broadcom Corp BCM5789 NetLink Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express

> Operating System : Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.01.2600 Service Pack 2

Since then nothing has changed. If you also need the power supply details i can post them up, but not sure which one to post since i have 3 ones that im alternating.
Any ideas?
cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 02:41 AM   #2
Registered Member

ok so i removed parts and put them back in and i actually got it to beep and start up like normal, however at the time all that was connected was the power cord so i didn't see if it booted up windows. Anyways, i moved it back to the initial spot and it started doing what it did before. I checked through and noticed that the CPU was very hot, to an extent that some glue or paint on the metal protection of the battery had melted and went on my finger. Even the fan itself was quite warm. It seems probable that this may be the issue, any thoughts?
Cheers.

Edit: Actually not sure if it's CPU but its the big fan on the motherboard that contains the battery or such underneath. Since it's getting that hot i assume the PC is now turning off to prevent damage. I guess it's ANOTHER power supply issue like last time?
Old 10-09-2009, 04:03 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

what supply are you using?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2009, 04:51 AM   #4
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

brand
model
wattage

of all 3

Old 10-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #5
Emeritus

If you replaced the PSU with a low quality unit you may be facing the same problem as before. It is also a possibility the failed PSU did some other hardware damage.

Old 10-17-2009, 02:26 AM   #6
Registered Member

sorry about the late reply but here are the three power supplies i have:
1. Sun Pro: ATX- 550W
2. not sure what brand but its ATX 480W, this is the one that came as stock in the case
3. PT-AR550-T 550 W

Today i had a go at fixing it again for first time in around a week and found something that tells me that the power supply isn't the issue here. Ok so today when i tested it out i found that these plastic things on the clips of the CPU fan have snapped off, so now it doesn't really fit in the 4 motherboard holes around the CPU. This may have been why the CPU was getting too hot. To test this i firmly pressed my hand against the plastic above the center of the fan, and when i turned on the computer it would boot up normally, until i took the force off. If it moved slightly it would turn off, however if i took off the force without moving it, the computer would still be on, however it seemed as if less power was going through. What this did is it would freeze, this would explain why my computer was freezing prior to my problems. I tried putting a few things on it to weigh it down, however this would only work for maybe 20 seconds. Because the little plastic things (kind of hard to explain, could take a photo of it if necessary) have broken off, the CPU fan isn't stable.
Is there any way i could accompany for the broken plastic in order to hold it in or any other ideas?
Anyways any help would be appreciated, hope my post makes sense.
Cheers.
Old 10-17-2009, 04:51 AM   #7
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

the first 2 are low quality and i cannot find anything on the 3rd so would suspect it is the same
you need this quality

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...corsair%2b550w

your problem looks like it is caused by the cpu push pins not latching down and locking into place

it's a common problem with the push pin system,the only way to be sure they have locked down is to fit with the board out,so you can at check the back of the board

the paste needs renewing each time it pops up

https://www.arcticsilver.com/arctic_s...structions.htm

i prefer the bolt down after market h/sink and fan,i would change it over rather than chase up another pin

Old 10-24-2009, 09:45 PM   #8
Registered Member

ok so i got the new parts and the computer boots up properly every time now. Everything seems normal but it then asks if i want to start windows normally, in safe mode, etc. When i proceed with one of these options, ill immediately get a blue screen error which reads the following:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this appears again, follow these steps:

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF79B6524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Any ideas, by the sounds of it maybe my hard drive is damaged? any ideas? hopefully it isn't the hard drive as i had a lot of things on my computer, not to mention installing everything again, etc.
Cheers.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #9
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

when a computer is running underpowered it can cause the file system on the drive to become corrupted if a unexpected reboot occurs

run the chkdsk /f

Old 10-24-2009, 10:02 PM   #10
Registered Member

i cant actually get into windows, right when it starts loading this error comes up. Is there a way to run it before, such as in BIOS or something?
Old 10-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #11
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

run from the recovery console

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Old 10-24-2009, 10:29 PM   #12
Registered Member

it says it cant find any hard disk drives and to check if it is powered and all that. There is no H.D.D light on either at the front. Last week i took out all the parts and when i put the motherboard in i wasn't entirely sure where everything went, but i looked at an identical computer and i think they are all in the correct place. Does it matter which power supply connection i use for the Hard drive?
Old 10-25-2009, 01:17 AM   #13
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

any provided you only plug in one power plug into the drive

some have the option of either a molex or sata power plug

what psu are you using

Old 10-25-2009, 01:43 AM   #14
Registered Member

im using the PT-AR550-T 550 W one, and i can hear the hard drive working. In BIOS is it recognized however it's doing nothing.

As a last resort would this work to backup my files:
https://www.ubuntu.com/GetUbuntu/download
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...dows-computer/

Im not sure it would because my hard drive isn't recognized when i used the Windows XP disc to repair it, but i dont know much about how the program works so i can't really comment.
Closed Thread