Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] weird power supply issue

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] weird power supply issue within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello everyone. I've encountered a weird issue with my power supply. It used to be as quiet as could be

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello everyone. I've encountered a weird issue with my power supply. It used to be as quiet as could be but now it's started making a noise almost identical to the noise a cd/dvd drive makes when it's reading or writing data(kind of like it's "chirping" Morse code). I'm positive it is the power supply that is making this noise. I bench tested it and what i find rather strange is that the sound persists until the unit itself is powered off from the switch on the back or unplugging the cord. However the sound is much quieter whenever there is no load on the unit.

This psu always worked great unit tonight. I also just moved into a new place and was wondering if it could possibly be the power itself causing the issue? Or maybe something on the inside of the power supply got tweaked a little during the ride???

Any ideas as to what could be causing this would be greatly appreciated, Thanks Guys!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2012, 08:29 PM   #2
Registered Member

Perhaps the fan fell loose during transport, if it's slightly rubbing against some part of the chassis it can mimic the sound of a HDD arm movement. Try to get a look at the fan while the PSU is on.
Old 05-16-2012, 05:41 AM   #3
Emeritus

If a PSU is making any noise, other than the movement of air by the fan, it most likely needs to be replaced.
PC Specs?
Pre- Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built- Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2012, 04:12 PM   #4
Registered Member

The pc was custom built. Specs are as follows:

> GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
> Intel core i5 cpu @ 2.7ghz x 4 cores
> 4 Gigs of Ram (can't remember manufacturer)
> Radeon HD 5770 video card
> The power supply unit is a 550watt Antec

I agree with you about it needing replaced. It hasn't caused me any issues yet but i'm sure it's getting ready too. I removed it from the pc and the sound was still there until it was either unplugged or power switched off. I even (and you may scold me for doing this) took the cover off of it to see if there was anything visibly wrong (whatever warranty expired sometime ago, so that didn't bother me), and couldn't find anything. There must be an electrical component going out :/
Old 05-16-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
Emeritus

$80 through 5/21 with Promo Code: Newegg.com - CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W ATX12V v2.31/ EPS12V v2.92 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC High Performance Power Supply

Old 05-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #6
Registered Member

Much appreciated, I'll be picking that up. I was actually looking around newegg right before you posted that reply and was having an issue finding one that I liked that was reasonably priced, but that one looks perfect! Thanks for the assistance!
Old 05-17-2012, 06:21 AM   #7
Emeritus

That's a very good deal on a top quality 650W PSU and it will fulfill your needs.

Closed Thread