Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Unsure of what problem is...

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Unsure of what problem is... within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello, A few days ago I bought some new parts to upgrade my computer, and I have put them into

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 01:43 PM   #1

Hello,

A few days ago I bought some new parts to upgrade my computer, and I have put them into the correct slots, and hooked up the cables (I think correctly). However, when I start the computer, it gives me a long high pitched continuous beep, with two short beeps and then 8 medium length beeps. The harddrive spins and all of the fans fire up, except for my new graphics card fan. I don't know if I need to hook up the graphics card to my power supply or not... I'm not sure if my powersupply is even adequate for my new system. It only has the 20 pins where my motherboard has the 24 pins. Here's my specs with the new parts...

Foxconn A79A-S Motherboard
AMD Phenom 2 Quad core 3.0 Ghz
Geforce 9800 GT
2 GB DDR2 ram
I'm not sure exactly what the power supply is, it says 12V Turbolink Switching Power Supply Model lc-a420atx

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 02:50 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

Well, right off the bat, I doubt that even a great 420 watt power supply would power that video card (9800gt), and yours is certainly not a quality power supply. You need to be thinking about a 650 watt major brand power supply in this rig IMHO. Quality supplies are:

Seasonic – Any Model
Corsair – Any Model
PC Power & Cooling – Any Model
Thermaltake – “Toughpower” Series Only
Coolermaster – “Real Power Pro” Series Only
Old 02-18-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Yep, doubt that the 420watt jobbie has a 6 pin pci-e connector that needs to be
hooked up to a 9800GT. Or the ability to produce enough stable power to run it, as
Tumbleweed36 rightly pointed out.
The card may have come with an adapter to convert two 4 pin molex connectors into
a 6 pin pci-e, but that psu just won't cut it for long. Power supplies that come with
cases are almost always junk, with a very very few exceptions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2009, 07:19 PM   #4

It sounds like I need a new power supply then... Is it really necessary to choose one of the brand name ones? I'm checking on Newegg and the offbrand ones are half the price... If they're just going to be junk though, I'll buy the namebrand ones; I'd just like to save a bit of money if possible, since I just bought all these other parts. Could you let me know if there's any good offbrand ones?

What about somthing like this: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817339024
Old 02-18-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
TSF Team, Emeritus

The one you have selected = Junk.

Here is a great deal on a Corsair 650TX power supply = $79.99 after Mail in Rebate. This is a top of the line supply and about as good as it gets and the price is a steal:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139005
Old 02-19-2009, 05:07 AM   #6

alrighty, thanks guys for the help. I ordered the power supply from tumbleweed's link, so I will let you know if I get it hooked up and running once I get it.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:02 PM   #7

I got the power supply, and am up and running now...thanks, it works great.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:09 PM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

That is great news and we are happy you are up and running. Have a great week and don't be a stranger on the forum.
Closed Thread