Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Ram Upgrade

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Ram Upgrade within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with 512 MB of Ram. I want to get two sticks of 1 GB

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2008, 01:04 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via MSN to Dragon Wizard

I have a Dell Dimension 4700 with 512 MB of Ram.

I want to get two sticks of 1 GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400).

However, I cannot determine if it will be compattible. Some sites say the computer can use PC2 6400, whilst others say it can only hold PC2-5300 and PC2-4200.

Can the computer hold the PC2 6400?

If it can, the Ram I want to get also supports Dual Channel mode, however it says the mobo ram voltage needs to be set to 1.9v. I have no idea how to do this, or even if there would be a benefit to running dual channel mode?

Please help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2008, 08:32 PM   #2

open your tower, check you RAM card, if it says PC-6400 your okay.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #3
I helped the forums.

OS: XP-Pro Sp2 & XP-Pro Sp2 Tablet Edition, Vista Ultimate, Win 7

My System

Dragon, there may be several versions to you computer, as I am Newb sugessted open the tower(while its off) and check the sticker on the memory to see what modules you currently have installed and buy a matching pair of modules to take advantage of dual channel operation. There is a definite gain in performance running in dual channel mode. Since it is a Dell brand computer you will probably not have the options in the bios to set the memory voltages, thus I would suggest that you check out Crucial's website for compatible memory...... https://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=Dimension+4700+Series
Closed Thread