Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] ram question

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] ram question within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I just finished reading the sticky about IMPORTANT READ BEFORE YOU BUY RAM . I went to my motherboard manual

Closed Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 11:28 AM   #1
Registered Member

I just finished reading the sticky about IMPORTANT READ BEFORE YOU BUY RAM.

I went to my motherboard manual it has this statement about the ram I purchased.

"Supports one pair of modules inserted into either the yellow slots or the black slots as one pair of dual-channel memory configuration."

I take this to mean that my Asus P5Q motherboard can only support 2 (G.Skill F2-8500CL5D-2GBPK) memory sticks?

I have 4 and when I right click my computer to see my processor and memory it only states 3gigs. This could also be that I'm running XP (32bit) as it mentioned in that post that XP (32bit) only supports 3gigs and under.

my question is if I buy another type of memory that is supported in the same manner will I be able to get to 8gigs ram? (i'm upgrading to WIN7 (64bit)).

Or do i have to buy all new ram that is listed under this statement

"supports 4 modules inserted into both the yellow and black slots as two pairs of dual-channel memory configuation."

I'd like more ram for video editing and rendering as well as gaming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2011, 07:28 PM   #2
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

A 32 bit operating system can only address a maximum of 3 to 3.5 GB of memory. Adding more/different memory will have no effect.

The only way for your computer to fully utilize 4 or more GB or memory is to install a 64 bit OS.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:28 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I believe the P5Q series motherboards can support up to 16 GB of RAM. I'm looking over the specs of the Deluxe, Premium, and SE PLUS motherboards on the Asus website.

I think what your manual is saying is just that you can use dual channeling if you put a pair of sticks in the same-colord slots.

So if you're getting 64-bit Windows 7 you should be able to install 8 GB fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2011, 07:00 AM   #4
Emeritus

The Mobo can/will support up to 16GB of RAM but it will only see up to about 3.25GB using a 32 Bit OS. Using a 64Bit OS will allow the Mobo to see over 4GB. There are no games and few apps that can utilize over 3GB of RAM.
We commonly suggest using a matched pair of 2X2GB RAM as that is more than sufficient and you avoid any Voltage issues that may occur when filling all the RAM slots.

Old 03-07-2011, 04:35 AM   #5
Registered Member

ahh okay...thanks fellas. 64bit os here I come!
Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #6
Registered Member

win7 installed 8gigs baby...comp rips now yes!
thanks.
Closed Thread