Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] psu overheating?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] psu overheating? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. this ocurred a month ago when i played a game when a sudden burn smell came from the computer. reboooted

Closed Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 12:46 PM   #1
Registered Member

this ocurred a month ago when i played a game when a sudden burn smell came from the computer. reboooted and thats when the random computer shutdown ocurred. I did a RMA for graphic card but nothing faulty, Bought a new motherboard but this still shuts down my computer. After isntalling the motherboard it took only 2 hour for the computer to shut down. After that it shuts down the computer faster 30 minutes to one hour. it then came wierd burned smell inside the computer. I couldnt pin point where the smell came but i did noticed my psu was extremely hot.
If i put my fingers on that psu i cant hold it longer than 3 seconds otherwise it will hurt my fingers

my computer spec is

E6600
Asus striker II formula
3 gb ram 6400
XFX 8800 GTS 640 mb
Seasonic S12 600 watt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

RMA that Seasonic, it is most likely faulty. The PSU should not be that hot and that company is great on returns. You are also asking a 600 watt power supply to do something that needs a 700 to 750 watt supply. That particular card needs a lot of juice. That can cause heat buildup when it tries to pull more than it is capable of.

You should be able to sell that Seasonic (it is one of the very best brands made) on Ebay for a decent price when you get it back from the RMA, and use that cash to purchase a new and more powerful supply.
Old 12-26-2008, 01:04 PM   #3
Registered Member

But 600 watt was sufficent for me to use for the last 2 years with no issue.
the issue was that i never cleaned the psu fan for 2 years so it collected a dust of wall.
Think seasonic will repair it within the warranty?

according to asus page i only need 550 wattt i just use 2 ram sticks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dfg.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	40123  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2008, 02:38 PM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Seasonic has one of the best warranties (not length of warranty, but service) in the business when it comes to replacing a faulty unit. I would give it a try. My personal opinion is that 600 watts is very light, but if any 600 will run that card, a Seasonic would be the one that could. It is just a Superb power supply. Give them a call and see and don't mention you not cleaning the dust out.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:22 PM   #5
Registered Member

they said the local eu importer will contact me 5th january. So i hope they will repair it free of charge thanks.

Have an another issue, a friend of mine are unable to boot when he install a new sata hd as secondary hdd or install just the new hdd alone on his computer. No error message just cant boot at all, when he install his older ide hdd he can boot it
Old 12-26-2008, 04:00 PM   #6
TSF Team, Emeritus

Like I mentioned, the Seasonic is great with RMA issues. I don't think they will fix it, I think they will send you a new one or at least a factory refurb that would be better than your two year old supply. BTW, I have one of those same model supplies in my spare computer (I only use Seasonic in my personal computers), so I know something about the quality of those units.

On your friends issue, here are some things to consider. If this doesn't help, then post the issue in a separate thread and we can take a look at it:
Please ignore what is not appropriate for your setup.
  • In the bios, you should have the Sata set to IDE mode IF you are NOT using Raid, do you?

• In the Bios, you should have all the Sata options enabled, do you?

• Have you loaded all your chipset drivers from the motherboard disk?

• When you start to load the OS, did you load the Sata drivers at the F6 prompt, you should if you have Windows XP? You don't need them for Vista unless you are doing Raid.

• Are you certain you have the Sata hooked to the correct connection on the motherboard?

• If not using RAID, are you certain you have Raid turned off in the bios?

• Do you have the Bios set to boot as follows:

CDRom - 1st
    Floppy - 2nd (if you have one)
    Hard Drive - 3rd
  • Do you have the Hard Drive Priority in the Boot area set with the Sata listed FIRST?

• Have you tried the Disk Manufacturer’s Hard Drive Utility to see if it recognizes the drive?

• Is your motherboard Sata II compliant or Sata I compliant. Some Sata drives have a jumper that you need to set if your Sata drive is Sata II and your motherboard is Sata I. Give that a look and see! (BTW: Hitachi drives use a software patch to do this instead of jumpers.

Post back with questions/issues/concerns.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:53 AM   #7
Registered Member

my friend did rma withthe hdd and when he got a new one it was working fine

seasonic total reseller maxpoint who deals with rmaprocedure for seasonic retreived my package this friday and they toldme since they didnt have enough technician there they sent me a brand new psu and quite alot of caple ties, new power cord. They sent is this tuesday and i already receieved the package today thursday :) they sent it using ups so im happy with the fast delivery

anyway my computer runs just fine now and thanks alot for the help =)
Old 01-15-2009, 09:12 AM   #8
TSF Team, Emeritus

You are most welcome and now you know why I only use Seasonic in my personal computers. They are a great company with products that are unequalled in quality and service.
Closed Thread