Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] PSU is making noise

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] PSU is making noise within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Greeting. I have my dell dimension 9100 for 3 years now. I only use it for web browsing, so no

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 08:41 AM   #1
Registered Member

Greeting.
I have my dell dimension 9100 for 3 years now. I only use it for web browsing, so no heavy stuff on it. It is a fine machine until recently, it starts making noise. So I open its cover and find out the noise comes from the PSU which vibrates the most. I guess the fan inside the PSU is dying. My pc is in factory configuration except I upgraded the RAM from 1 to 2 GB a few monthes ago. The problem is, even though my computer is still functional like before, the noise from PSU and I worry about it. Do I need to replace the PSU? Or somehow fix the fan inside?
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
TSF Team, Emeritus

First of all, take a can of compressed air and blow the dust bunnies out of there and see if that helps your problem. I would not advise anyone without very detailed expertise to open up a power supply, because even when off, the capacitors in there can still hold a charge that can be dangerous. Give the can of compressed air a try and see if that solves it. BTW, do that for the rest of your case/fans/heatsink(s) while you are at it.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #3
Registered Member

For Tumbleweed36:
I forgot to mention it. I already did that with my pc when the cover was open. Now my pc is bascially dust-free. Still, the noise is coming.
According to your response, I have to get a new PSU then. Do you know any reliable web site that retail PSU?
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 10:31 AM   #4
TSF Team, Emeritus

Take the side off the computer and look at the power supply and tell us what brand name and how many watts is in there. That should help us. The best online retail establishment in my opinion is NewEgg.com They are the cheapest on most things and there service is outstanding.
Old 12-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #5
Registered Member

Sure, I will do that later tonight.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:05 PM   #6
Registered Member

OK. Here is the PSU model. M375P-00. Input is 100-120V~11.4A, 200-240V~6.1A. Output is 375W.
I took a picture of it if I did not provide enough info.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:14 PM   #7

I had a PSU that was doing the same thing. I cleaned it also. Reduced the noise for about a week until it crapped out on me completely.

Valdeam
Old 12-06-2008, 07:17 PM   #8
Registered Member

Update!
It is like a miracle. Tonight when I restarted my pc, the noise was gone! It works just like before. I guess it is fine now. Anyway, thanks for your help Tumbleweed36, and hopefully it won't crap out on me.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:44 PM   #9
TSF Team, Emeritus

We hope it doesn't exit this world. Glad to hear it is working now.
Closed Thread