Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Psu for server

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Psu for server within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Have just built a windows home server and had a psu laying around that I don't intend to keep in

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
Registered Member

Have just built a windows home server and had a psu laying around that I don't intend to keep in it for long..
It's 1000w icute (yes I know it's crap) and too powerful

Right the setup is,

Pegatron violet6 mini atx mobo (from an old pc)
Athlon ii dual core I think 3. Something
1x500gb (os)
2x3tb
2x2tb
2x1tb
2 basic raid/sata expansion cards (they don't require dedicated power cable)
3'case fans and 1cpu fan

I'm looking for a smaller psu that's reliable and not expensive,
At the minute I'm using molex to sata cable converters as there weren't enough sata to go around

Any suggestions would be very helpful
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
Registered Member

Oh and 8gb ddr3 ram
Old 12-30-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

My System

A XFX or Seasonic branded PSU with 450Ws or higher will do the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Emeritus

You can never have "too much" power but quality is the key to a reliable PSU and iCute are not.
SeaSonic, XFX, Antec HCG are top quality.
If there is no dedicated GPU, 450W would be fine.

Old 12-30-2013, 11:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

Thanks guys,
Correct there is no gpu, just the inboard chip

https://m.novatech.co.uk/products/com...450s-x2b9.html

That's the xfx 450w core edition 80+

Does that seem okay?
Old 12-31-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
Emeritus

The 450W XFX should be fine.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

However, you will still require one (or more) molex to SATA cable adapters if you intend to install more than 6 drives. (XFX Core 450 has just 6 SATA power connectors)
Old 12-31-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcavan View Post
However, you will still require one (or more) molex to SATA cable adapters if you intend to install more than 6 drives. (XFX Core 450 has just 6 SATA power connectors)
Already thought of that, I have 2 of them in use in the system at the minute
Old 01-02-2014, 02:01 AM   #9
- Design Team
- Networking Team

My System

Real server power supplies are typically made by Delta, Etasis, Zippy/Emacs, or Ablecom (there are a few others as well).

If you're looking for reliable and inexpensive, a redundant supply such as an R2W-6500P-R (500W) fits the bill. That particular supply case doesn't have many connectors, so you could get an R2W-6460P-R (460W) without PSU modules and put 500W modules into it. The backplanes are compatible with either module. The only problem with that particular supply is that it's designed for 3U rackmounts, and needs an ATX adapter. If you're handy with sheet steel or aluminum, they're easy enough to fabricate. I like these in particular because they're practically bulletproof, and when a module does fail they can be replaced for $20-$30.

A nice Delta supply, though not redundant, is the FXXRIGT670WPSU (designed for Intel, but usable in anything). They're 670W and tend to run under $100.

A good 800W redundant supply is the Zippy MRG-5800V4V.

AbleCom makes a 600W triple-redundant supply, the SP602-TS.

Those are a few of the enterprise supplies that won't set you back several hundred dollars. Buying used redundant supplies is a lot safer than buying used consumer PSUs, since the electronics that fail are in the replaceable modules. The backplane circuitry in them hardly ever fails, since they don't really hold major components. They're mostly comprised of large power traces and connectors for the external wiring.

These manufacturers tend not to make it onto consumer review sites due to the fact that they are rarely found outside of high-availability servers. If you're looking for maximum uptime you can't beat a redundant PSU. They'll outlast pretty much anything you'll find on the consumer market.
Closed Thread