Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] power supply to mother board help

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] power supply to mother board help within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. hello everyone, new to the site and hopefully someone on here can help me out. i have a gateway dx4822-01

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

hello everyone,

new to the site and hopefully someone on here can help me out. i have a gateway dx4822-01 model desktop and blew the power supply. i ordered a replacement power supply but cant remember what wires go where or even what wires i would be using. i tried gateway and didnt get anywhere with them. i am very very very limited to what i know in computers and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 08:07 AM   #2
ROG Enthusiast

OS: Windows 8 Pro, Windows 7 Ultimate SP1, Windows XP SP3, Windows Server 2008

My System

Hello Carofchoice and welcome to TSF!

Could you please post the make and model of your replacement power supply?
Most of the PSU wires will only fit into the right part of your motherboard.

Thanks,
Altec

Please post Hardware Specifications of your computer.(Including Power Supply!).
Memtest86+ | Seatools
How to Benchtest
Info & Selection of PSU's
Old 03-10-2012, 08:48 AM   #3
Registered Member

the original one is a FSP group inc fsp300-60tha
the replacement one is the exact same except it has a power on/off button on it.

i think i got it all in and plugged in but now when the computer powers up is states "please reboot and select boot media". i have no clue what that means. thanks

when i got the new power supply in i plugged in a square 4 pin next to the fan and a big pin. not sure if there was anything else i needed to do. the HD and the cd drive is hooked directly to the MB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

There are also power connectors that need to be plugged into the HD and optical drive.

That would be the reason for "please reboot and select boot media"
Old 03-10-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgn View Post
There are also power connectors that need to be plugged into the HD and optical drive.

That would be the reason for "please reboot and select boot media"

even if the drives are already connected to the MB's sata slots?
Old 03-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

yes, both drives require power
Old 03-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #7
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shotgn View Post
yes, both drives require power

yes i understand that but both drives dont get the power from the MB? i really need to take a class for this stuff.
Old 03-10-2012, 09:43 AM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

The sata cables are for data transfer. Depending on the hd or optical you will use a sata power or molex(4-pin) power

Example of the 2 different power for HD and optical drives
Old 03-10-2012, 10:07 AM   #9
Registered Member

ok i plugged the only sata cable that came with the new power supply and it started up with the windows login screen. the cd drive wasnt working so i plugged what i thought was the power for it and a little chip on the mb fried. now the light for the power button doesnt work and nothing show up on the screen. the fan is still working and when i hold down the power button it shuts down. not sure what i did but im sure it wasnt good when there was smoke. i really appreciate your help in this but i think im going to just go buy another computer and use this one for parts. im just going to stick with working on cars. much easier!!
Old 03-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Sorry to hear about that. Smoke from the MB is never a good sign.

I agree...sometimes cars are alot easier than trouble shooting a stubborn PC.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Sounds like you put a power plug in with unit on and if it's the white molex plug, that is what fried it. You might be able to use it by getting a sata type cd drive to replace the ide type and then get sata cables and a splitter sata power cable for psu and at least use it for secondary pc.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
Sounds like you put a power plug in with unit on and if it's the white molex plug, that is what fried it. You might be able to use it by getting a sata type cd drive to replace the ide type and then get sata cables and a splitter sata power cable for psu and at least use it for secondary pc.

yes power was still on at the time. this computer was a decent one, am i able to pull the parts off of it and use it on a lesser computer to make it better? it has a 1tb hd, 6gb ddr2 memory, windows 7
Old 03-10-2012, 11:12 AM   #13
Registered Member

also it wasnt the molex plug that i used. it was a smaller white plug that has 4 inputs on it plus the top of it has what looks like 4 more slide into it. so yes 8 prongs total but smaller than the molex one.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:50 AM   #14
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

The white plug is the molex plug and as I said you might still get this to work by buying a sata cd-rw and just getting the few cables you need to hook it up. Does the pc run with the cd drive unplugged, because if it does then all you have to do is change the type of drive.
The odds are that most of the hardware in there is too old to go forward and to try to buy old boards and cpus can be done, but it places us at the mercy of eBay which isn't always a bad thing, but you started here with issues, why add to them today!

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
Registered Member

the cd drive is a sata drive. the old power supply had 4 sata cables on it and the replacement supply only had one. the computer still turns on but the power light doesnt light up anymore and nothing shows up on the monitor either. when i hit the power button i can hear the thing start up and the fan turns on but thats about all that happens right now. maybe ill check it again tomorrow. would like to just take it somewhere but i just moved to germany and dont know of anywhere yet. thanks for your help again.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #16
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Ah ok this unit is newer than I thought. The problem with it is the small inadequate psu that is really expensive and there is nothing better offered. I love taking these slimlines and buy a micro pc case then use everything except for the board and the psu to rebuild and you can get a lot of use out of it.

Old 03-10-2012, 04:07 PM   #17
Emeritus

If your new PSU only has one SATA power plug it needs to be replaced with a good quality unit before you do even more damage.
Post your PC specs and we can advice on an adequate PSU.
PC Specs?
Pre- Built (Dell-HP-etc.) Brand & Model Number
Custom Built- Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 03-11-2012, 11:42 AM   #18
Registered Member

well i solved the problem.... just bought a new computer and will stick with working on cars. my wife begged me not to use the other parts on the new computer so i guess im done with it.lol thanks for the help and i really appreciated it.. jeff

mods you can lock this one out.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:48 PM   #19
Emeritus

Glad to hear you resolved your problem.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and effectively.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:08 PM   #20
Team Manager - Hardware

My System

Great why not mark this solved in the first post under "Thread Tools" in the first post.

Closed Thread