Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] possible PSU failure?

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] possible PSU failure? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay techies, my friends pc went tits up. when he tries to turn it on, the fan buzzes for a

Closed Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
Registered Member

Okay techies, my friends pc went tits up. when he tries to turn it on, the fan buzzes for a few seconds and powers down, then it keeps doing that by itself until interrupted by holding the power button. am I right in assuming that this is a power supply unit gone dead? He has no other psu to try out, unfortunately, so the easiest method is out.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 10:12 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

When did the symptoms first appear? My previous PC did the same cycle after being hit by lightning and turns out my PSU was fine but my motherboard was blown.
Old 12-25-2011, 10:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

Today, only a couple of hours ago. PC worked fine with no issues before then, as far as I'm told.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #4
Enthusiast

My System

Please post your full computer specifications inlcuding make and model of power supply.

If your system is oem i.e one you have bought from a shop such as a dell, hp or compaq please post the model number.

Posting your specs can help us to help you better.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:31 PM   #5
Emeritus

Your description sounds like a power issue but we need to know what we're working with to offer reliable assistance.

PC Specs?
Pre-Built Brand & Model Number
Custom Built-Brand & Model of Mobo-CPU-RAM-Graphics-PSU.

Old 12-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #6
Registered Member

Welp, apparently my friend deduced the actual problem lies in the power button...apparently he needs to whack it hard enough for it to engage properly or something. The PC then goes into BIOS and when he exits without saving, windows starts booting up. Guess a mod can lock this up then.
Old 12-26-2011, 06:22 AM   #7
Emeritus

Glad it is resolved.

Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PSU or RAM?
Specifications- PSU: DYNEX atx 350w Motherboard: GA-M61PME-S2 CPU: AMD phenon x2 (not sure of Ghz think it is somewhere around 3.3ghz) GPU: Nvidia GeForce 8600GT RAM: DDR2 2gigs sticks, the Motherboard can hold 2 sticks I do have a few psu's that i have been trying but all are 350w or...
Splawn RAM and Power Supply Support 8 07-29-2011 05:38 AM
[SOLVED] Graphics card or PSU problem?
Hi there, I was just wondering if anyone could help me. Me PC for the last couple of days has been crashing (mostly while gaming) and I'm not sure if the problem is caused either by the Graphics card or PSU. Here are my system specs (self-built): PNY GeForce 9800 GX2 Unbranded (was pretty...
Tom1122 Video Card Support 5 07-18-2011 10:03 AM
Installed new PSU, now Desktop lights and fans turn on and off
Hi, So far having a crappy weekend, my computer turned off yesterday after I started smelling a slight burning smell which seemed to be coming from the PSU (an X-Power 858 PSU). So being the weekend and probably not being able to get any technical support help from any big companies, I figured...
espinetm RAM and Power Supply Support 5 04-10-2011 12:15 PM
new PSU won't turn on.
Is there something I must do for a brand new PSU to turn on? Like simply plugging in the power cord, wait a few minutes or so till enough power is collected in the psu? Well I just plugged in my PSU earlier today after receiving it a few days ago after plugging in the power cord. I've tried several...
heyitskin RAM and Power Supply Support 8 01-01-2011 08:03 AM
Power Supply Information and Selection
:smile: CHOOSING AND UNDERSTANDING A POWER SUPPLY UNIT The power supply unit in today’s modern computer assumes a role probably more critical than any other single component in your system even when compared to the CPU and motherboard. Therefore, there are multiple factors that must...
Tumbleweed36 RAM and Power Supply Support 0 07-09-2006 03:41 PM