Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] PC Not Starting After Re-Inserting RAM Cards

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] PC Not Starting After Re-Inserting RAM Cards within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I had opened my pc up to get some information since I'm 'planning' on doing some upgrades on my pc,

Closed Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #1

Exclamation

I had opened my pc up to get some information since I'm 'planning' on doing some upgrades on my pc, and I took the ram cards out to read the information on them. Then I put them back in and closed everything, I then tryed to power the pc and it starts but it doesn't send anything to the screen and it only powers on and doesn't proceed to start up.

Conditions
No signal is ever sent to the screen, screen light stays yellow.
The power light stays lit since the pc is on, and the cpu activity light stays solid lit.
All the fans start up with everything like the pc normally does, but doesn't send any video signal and doesn't boot or continue to start the pc- basicly everything starts up except the video and the pc doesn't progress any farther then that.
The power won't shut off on the pc when the button is pressed, so it needs to be held to get it to turn off.
No active light on the motherboard when things are powered and running, but I'm not sure if my desktop's motherboard has a light when the pc is turned on anyway- since I hadn't looked at the inside with the power on before this happened.

Things That I Tried
It was a bit dusty inside the pc, so I carefully got most of the dust out.
I've tried the ram cards in many slots, and made sure that they were all inserted and locked in to the slots properly. Tried them in their original slots, tried only using 1 card and in each slot, tried everything that could possibly be tried regarding that.
I've tried resetting the cmos settings, but that didn't help either- the only noticable effect was the fans running at full speed now.
Took out and re-inserted the video card, also didn't help.
Checked all of the wires to make sure that they were tight in place, and that nothing got knocked out or anything- I also checked to make sure that there wasn't any loose hardware either.

It's still possibly that there's some dust places, but I doubt that that's what's causing the problem- since I didn't spread the dust around when I first took out and re-inserted the ram. It's possibly that I touched the contacts on the ram cards, not sure if that caused this since people just say to not touch it and not the possible consequences of doing so- my hands are always clean though.

There's 2 ram cards in total, and everything in the pc has been working fine for years and until before I took out and re-inserted the ram cards today. I never have static so I highly doubt that anything was fried, I was careful regarding that.

So it comes down to this, I'm not sure what's wrong with it and tried what I could find or think of to try and fix it- but to no avail. So I'm posting this topic as my last resort regarding this matter, since I normally only ask people if I can't solve the problem no matter what. I've run out of things to try besides taking the entire thing apart and putting it back together, which I don't really want to do- I don't have a multi-meter and it's mainly for the power supply anyway I've read.

I don't have any other ram cards to try either since I haven't made the order for any new parts yet, but both ram cards were working perfect with the pc before I took them out and re-inserted them- so I'm not sure if they're the problem or not. And I don't have any other desktop's to try putting any parts from this into, as to check and see what could be causing the problem.

So if someone can identify the problem and respond ASAP, then it would be very much appreciated- thank you for your time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 03:52 AM   #2
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

What brand and model PC do you have? OR if custom built the PSU, MB, Video card brand and model?

Do you see the CPU fan spinning?
IF it's a socket 775 motherboard check that one of the legs for the cpu heat sink didn't come loose on board.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:07 AM   #3

I have a Compaq Presario Desktop SA4000T, I customized it on their website years back.

It's socket 775, I checked the screws and everything is fine with it though.
All 3 of the fans are spinning in the pc, the graphics card one, the cpu one and the cooling fan.

https://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...427582&lang=en
https://www.sparepartswarehouse.com/C...ter,Parts.aspx

Model: Compaq Presario SA4000T (P8657L)
Operating System: Windows XP SP2
Processor: Intel Pentium 4 540 3.2 GHz with Hyper-Threading
RAM: 1GB DDR2-533 RAM / PC2 4200/4300 (2 DIMM)
Harddrive: 250GB at 7200 rpm SATA hard drive
Graphics Card: 256 MB DDR ATI Radeon X600 SE
Optical Drive 1: Double Layer 8x DVD+RW/+
Optical Drive 2: 48x maximum speed CD-RW
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS with front audio ports
Card Reader: 9-in-1 Media Card Reader + one USB, two additional USB 2.0, one IEEE 1394
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Double check the Data cables from the drives to the motherboard on both ends. also check the power cables on the drives are fully seated.
IF you find nothing there then clear the CMOS by unplugging the power press the power button several times to remove any residual power in the capacitors, remove the coin cell battery for at least 1/2 an hour. there is usually a jumper on those boards labeled Clr_Rtc or similar if you see it move the jumper from pins 2&3 to pins 1&2 and then back again (I could not find the exact instructions on the Compaq site) Reinstall the Battery replug see if it will boot.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:12 PM   #5
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Double check the Data cables from the drives to the motherboard on both ends. also check the power cables on the drives are fully seated.
IF you find nothing there then clear the CMOS by unplugging the power press the power button several times to remove any residual power in the capacitors, remove the coin cell battery for at least 1/2 an hour. there is usually a jumper on those boards labeled Clr_Rtc or similar if you see it move the jumper from pins 2&3 to pins 1&2 and then back again (I could not find the exact instructions on the Compaq site) Reinstall the Battery replug see if it will boot.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:35 PM   #6

The harddrive starts up like the rest of the hardware does and makes the usual sound on start and shutdown of the pc, I checked all of the wires for it and they were in properly. And I reset the cmos again, took the battery out for an hour just to be safe. And moved the jumper switch back and fourth from slot to slot, then I put the battery back in and tried starting the computer- but it's still not working.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:08 PM   #7
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

At this point I would either test the video card in another PC or a different video card in this pc.
Old 02-07-2009, 02:36 PM   #8

I have a new video card ordered already, and will be getting it in around a week probably. But you think that the video card would also stop the computer from continuing to start? Because it's not like there's just no video, like I explained in the first post the pc starts up but it doesn't progress besides the hardware just turning on.

Question 1: Can the video card cause that to happen?
Question 2: Could it be the RAM instead? And should I go out and buy some from the store to check and see?
Question 3: Is there anything else that could have possibly caused this, and need to be replaced?
Old 02-07-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razken View Post
I have a new video card ordered already, and will be getting it in around a week probably. But you think that the video card would also stop the computer from continuing to start? Because it's not like there's just no video, like I explained in the first post the pc starts up but it doesn't progress besides the hardware just turning on.

Question 1: Can the video card cause that to happen?
It could
Question 2: Could it be the RAM instead? And should I go out and buy some from the store to check and see?
You could use more ram but I doubt you could have damaged both sticks
Question 3: Is there anything else that could have possibly caused this, and need to be replaced?
Yes It could be a power supply strange that R&R of the Ram would happen at the same time OR it could also be a motherboard if pushing the ram in caused it to crack but I usually find it to be a heat sink loose causing the CPU to heat up very quickly and shut itself down.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:22 AM   #10

I tried replacing the graphics card, that didn't fix the problem. I originally thought that what went wrong was either the RAM cards, the Graphics Card or the Motherboard- I didn't think that the power supply would cause it since it wasn't touched when I was working on the PC. I asked on here to confirm and make sure that it wasn't something else, so I could go ahead and order stuff then. The RAM fixed the problem, it turns out that both of the old RAM sticks died. Also one of the 4 RAM slots on the motherboard, one which wasn't originally used of the 4 doesn't work- tried 2 different cards on it(1 already tested and was working, and still does in another slot). I bought 4 RAM cards overal, but it doesn't hurt to have an extra I suppose- 3GB of RAM is enough. These are the RAM cards that I got, they work great- some of the best to go with after researching a lot.

Thank you for your assistance in helping me deal with this matter.
This topic can be considered Solved now, since everything has been dealt with.

Also a hint for buying from newegg, even though they say that they don't ship to PO BOX's they actually do depending on shipping service used. If you use their egg saver shipping which ships through dhl, then they'll hand it over to usps. It takes some extra time for them to transfer it to usps, but you'll certainly get your package at the PO BOX. Some items can't ship with egg saver shipping, and to be able to order with egg saver shipping you can only order 1-2 items(1 of each or 2 of 1 item) at a time. Some items make you have to order one of them at a time alone since adding anything else or increasing the amount of them that you're buying takes away the option for egg saver shipping, but this is a great way to save on shipping and it allows you to make small orders.
Old 02-19-2009, 12:34 AM   #11
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Microsoft MVP

Glad to hear you have it resolved:)
Closed Thread