Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] Is my RAM x16, x8, or x4?

21K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  greenbrucelee 
#1 ·
I am trying to find out if my 1gb pc3200 ddr ram are x16, x8 or x4. I have used CPU Z and it does not even have a manufacturer or model. The same with SIW. The stickers on the RAM dont have the info either. Can anyone help me?

#3 ·
Re: Is my RAM x16, x8, or x4?

I am trying to find out if the RAM in my system is x16, x8 or x4 as I have another tower which I want to make my main tower as it has a faster processor and can hold more RAM. According to the service manual it only supports x16 and x8, and does not support x4.

#5 ·

the service manual for the extra tower I have that I want to put the stuff from the tower I am currently using says that it only supports x16 and x8 ddr sdram and that x4 is not supported. the x16, etc refers to the dram organisation (info from wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR_SDRAM) here is link to service manual for tower i want to put RAM in. http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00068051/c00068051.pdf the bit i refer to is towards the botoom under a category called memory which is just before the index

#6 ·

what is the actual make of the ram you have bought.

The reason why people have been thrown by you saying x16 is nobody really refers to the make up of the ram any more basically what it mean is if you have say a 2GB stick then it will be double sided and each chip on the stick will be 128MB making 2GB etc etc

most people these days just go by a qvl list for the motherboard and buy what ram manufacturers modules that work for that board.

#10 ·

Well all you can do is try it. If POST displays that you have more ram and windows does too then you can assime it works. if your ram count doesn't go up then it isn't supported.

you may also get error beeps.

#11 ·

ok. I got the RAM out of the machine and I found the following printed on the chips on the RAM.
Infineon HYB250512400BT-5 on 1 stick and
Hynix 628AA HY5DUI2422AT-D43.
Upon googleing this I still cant find out the DRAM organisation.
They dont work in the other tower so im guessing they are x4.

#14 ·

Upon browsing ebay for suitable RAM I came across the existing 1GB RAM sticks I have and the info in the add says they are High Density and are not compatable with intel chipsets, which is what I was trying to put them into. So there we have it my question is kind of answered and I now at least know I have to buy all new RAM for this Intel Chipset tower I want to use. Thank you all for all the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.