Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Is my PSU okay

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Is my PSU okay within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My build is: 2x 2GB G. Skill 1066 RAM Gigabyte EP45-UD3R Q6600 @ 3.2, ~1.2x volts 2x 7200 RPM HDD

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My build is:

2x 2GB G. Skill 1066 RAM
Gigabyte EP45-UD3R
Q6600 @ 3.2, ~1.2x volts
2x 7200 RPM HDD
1x 10,000 RPM WD Raptor
1x GTX 480, overclocked to 1.088v
2x optical drives
2x 1 AMP Rexus 120mm fans
1x 140mm fan
2x slipstream fans
Zalman HSF (with Red LED)
*All fans except the Zalman go through my 6 channel Sunbeam fan controller

I have used a 750W PC Power & Cooling PSU (warrantied to get a resistor changed due to voltage on the 12V rail), a Corsair HX 1050, and now I decided to go back down, so that I don't waste power, to a Seasonic x750. I was concerned that it might not be enough because I really wanted the extra comfort zone of an 850W unit, but after looking at more of the specs, I noticed that my original 750 was only 80 PLUS and was already a couple years old and it still managed the load. The new Seasonic PSU is GOLD rated and better reputed, as well as being brand new.....I also don't plan to expand the system anymore. It's maxxed out as far as what I can add to it and I would just like an opinion on the system as is, without regard to future upgrades.

The power calculator in the sticky put my power needs at 616W. My current PSU provides ~20% more.....and I think that there is enough headroom with such a stout PSU (which according to testing performs better under demand) and a static power need.

I will welcome opinions, thanks-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 04:55 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

seasonic and corsair are both made by seasonic apart from the gs and cs units and are far better than the pc power and cooling however you are slightly confused. A power supply does not produce its full wattage all the time it only uses what it needs so if you had a 1050w psu it would not used 1050w if it didn'nt need to.

the x-series seasonic are fanless power supplies I would not recommend a fanless psu for a system that is a gaming/power system especially if overclocking is invloved.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:46 AM   #3
Emeritus

A good quality 750W PSU will be sufficient for your hardware.
If you already have a new 1050W Corsair I would advise using it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

I saw a youtube video a while ago (pretty sure it was a video card/power supply comparison video) that showed an increase in power draw from an overpowered power supply vs a mild power supply.

Regardless, I've ditched the PC Power & Cooling and put it into another computer, and still have the Seasonic in my main PC (it is so quiet! I actually noticed it and would like to keep it that way). The Corsair 1050 is going on my test rig. Hopefully the Seasonic tests out fine since I just installed it yesterday and it hasn't been tested at all.

With regards to the Corsair, I will use it when I have a system that demands more power. Right now, my system only has a one video card limit so I can't put it to use, and the cables aren't as varied as the Seasonic. The Corsair has cables that are way too long, and I only have a mid-tower. Seasonic just works better for me, but I wanted to make sure that it could take the power demands.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #5
Emeritus

SeaSonic is the top of the line and your Corsair is also made by SeaSonic.
A bigger PSU will not cause more power draw.
A PSU (Power SUPPLY Unit) does as its name implies, it supplies power. Components "draw" power and no more power will be consumed than is required from the components the PSU supports.

Old 02-03-2012, 06:28 AM   #6
Enthusiast

My System

that psu in the video mys have ha something causing more power drain. I used to test them for a living. A psu uses what it needs and only what it needs.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:36 AM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenbrucelee View Post
that psu in the video mys have ha something causing more power drain. I used to test them for a living. A psu uses what it needs and only what it needs.

very accurate info
Closed Thread