Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Infinite Rebooting Loop

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Infinite Rebooting Loop within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello TechSupport Community, My brother's computer has hit a snag. The story he told me that I tell you now

Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #1

Hello TechSupport Community,

My brother's computer has hit a snag. The story he told me that I tell you now is thus. He was playing WoW when the game itself froze. As both of our computers have a tendency to do overheat (we set up external 9 inch fans to solve this mine being on my video card) he thought nothing of it and rebooted his computer. This is where the loop started. There is no sign of being able to start windows at all. Pressing F8 and starting windows with DOS, networking, last known safe configuration, and safe mode, all end up rebooting and starting all over again.

What I've tried to do thus far, and please if I've screwed anything up thus far please point it out. I get the original XP CD (Home Edition) boot up the recovery console, and look at my options. The first thing I did was create a new boot sector. That didn't help. Also when I did a DIR command, it came up with an error occurring during directory enumeration.

I tried loading up Ubuntu (Live CD) which looking at the original ISO file states it as 8.04. This failed as I got two repeated errors:

Buffer I/O error on Device fd0 internal block 0
Buffer I/O error on Device sr0 internal block 32/33

Only reason I did this was to see if I could get some functionality out of the machine. My thought is that I'm unable to access the hard drive and thus causes a reboot when there isn't anything to boot off of. Any additional thoughts solutions are greatly appreciated;

This somehow got posted in the wrong place. Meant to post in the Windows XP; Didn't even set foot in here. I wasn't logged in at the time of the creation if that has anything to do with it. Can this be moved to prevent a double post?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

what
cpu
video card
m/b
power supply
brand
wattage
check tempretures and voltages in the bios and post them
check the event viewer to see if anything is listed at the time of the reboot
if you receive any error messages post them in full
check the cable into the hard drive is secure
download and run the h/d makers diognostic utility on the h/d
run
chkdsk /r /f

Old 05-02-2008, 11:14 PM   #3

Uncletiki,

I'm also curious about Dia's questions but would also ask when this problem started to occur and if it is a new problem, what has changed with the PC prior to this problem (i.e. software installs, hardware installs, driver upgrades, windows updates, BIOS changes, etc.).

If this problem has ALWAYS been an issue, that's one thing - but if it just started - then SOMETHING has changed either with new software, OS updates, config changes, BIOS alterations or updates, driver updates, etc.

Please ADD any of the above questions to your reply to Dai's post and hopefully we can narrow down what's going on.

- John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2008, 11:10 AM   #4

CPU-AMD Athlon 64bit Processor 3700+
-Speed 2200 MHZ
-RAM 1024K

Video Card -GeForce 8500GT

M/B - Asus A8N-SLI Delux
-Chipset NVIDIA NForce USLI

Power Supply - Allieo
- Don't know what else you need in this category

Temps (Degrees Centigrade) At room temperature, case is open.
-CPU temp 31
-M/B temp 33

Voltage
-Vcore Voltage 1.36V
- 3.3Voltage 3.29V
- 5.0 Voltage 5.08V
- 12.0 Voltage 11.96-12.03V

First time I've heard of event viewer; looked it up and don't know how to access it without windows. I check the cable already before I posted and made sure it was secure. I could not locate the H/D CD to run the diagnostics.

CHKDSK /f Is non existent as far as I could tell. CHKDSK /R found and fixed one or more errors. I also tried CKDSK /r /f which didn't want to work either.

This is the first time I've seen this problem with this computer. It started Thursday and nothing had been changed to my knowledge. Anything else required that I missed and how would I go about doing it?
Old 05-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

need the name numbers
i.e.
AL-A400ATX
12v+ line amps
from the psu

Old 05-03-2008, 07:18 PM   #6

Never mind fellas, Its fixed.

After the CHKDSK was run windows booted up, problem was it seemed have problems running Windows Defender. Also all network connections were gone, and would let me install the drivers and utility. So I drop in the Windows CD, Hit the repair option instead of the console, Windows fixes itself right up and the machine is back to normal. I'll let y'all know if I get a relapse.
Old 05-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

i will mark it solved if it reoccurs post back to this thread

Closed Thread