Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] increasing ram

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] increasing ram within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Computer has 1 gig of Kingston hyperx Ram. (Has 2 1 gig sticks ddr2 4300 not 4200) The part number

Closed Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Computer has 1 gig of Kingston hyperx Ram. (Has 2 1 gig sticks ddr2 4300 not 4200)

The part number finishes with 1G, according to kingston websight they are 1 gig sticks I'm guessing working together(matched set)

I entered in my motherboard spec (ASUS p5ld2) and this is what they recommond.

Kingston Technology Company - Kingston Memory Search - Search Results for:

Would you say this is a go for purchase.

My mother board runs in dual channel configuration or can i change that??

I ask because I have the exact same mother board on a 2nd computer running 2 1gig sticks of OZC gold edition ram and it actually sees 2 gigs of ram where as the computer with the kingston, I remove 1 stick and it reads 512mb ram. I thaught one of my kingston rams died.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

hi,

according to your motherboard specs you can have up to 4 GB of ram. each slot holding 1gb so the ram in your link should work.

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:44 AM   #3
Emeritus

Have you tried using each of the sticks one at a time in each slot of the Mobo? Perhaps one stick or one Mobo slot is problematic.
You could also try the OZC from the other PC to insure the RAM slots are good.
Memory standard for your Mobo is 4 x DIMM, max. 4GB, DDR2 667/533/400.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 12:44 AM   #4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
Have you tried using each of the sticks one at a time in each slot of the Mobo? Perhaps one stick or one Mobo slot is problematic.
You could also try the OZC from the other PC to insure the RAM slots are good.
Memory standard for your Mobo is 4 x DIMM, max. 4GB, DDR2 667/533/400.
Yeah, I switched the ram from one computer to the other, the OZC ram reads 1 gig for each stick, the kingston ram when I remove one stick read 528mb even though the last number on the part number reads "1g" for 1 gig., from what i figured out, correct if I'm wrong, is they are a matching set and work together. Just like what I look to be buying from the link provided.

The kingston sight gave me a list of individual sticks of ram or a set. The last number of each stick ends with "2g" but the pair of them together is 2 gigs of ram and that after entering my motherboard number.

I went with matched ram like as the set that is already installed on my computer but i'm going from 1 gig of ram to 3 gigs of ram.

On a side note. My OCZ ram has the numbers 3-3-3-12, should i just let my motherboard find the best speed and set to auto or set to manual and adjust my clocks to what the ram says on the sticker???
Old 11-10-2011, 06:16 AM   #5
Emeritus

What happens if you try ONE stick at a time? Do both sticks read as 1GB?
Are you using Onboard Graphics or a dedicated GPU?
Using 3 sticks of RAM will put you into Single Channel Mode and performance will be decreased. Mixing the HyperX and the new RAM will most likely result in problems.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:31 PM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
What happens if you try ONE stick at a time? Do both sticks read as 1GB?.
Both sticks end with the part number "1G" but if I remove 1 stick, no matter which one, I only get 528mbs of ram.

Quote:
Are you using Onboard Graphics or a dedicated GPU?
I'm currently running Radeon saphire x1950 pro 528mbs

Quote:
Using 3 sticks of RAM will put you into Single Channel Mode and performance will be decreased. Mixing the HyperX and the new RAM will most likely result in problems.
I will not be installing 1 additional stick of ram, I am looking at buying 2 more sticks as in the link provided, its a "set of 2", both made by Kingston although the original pair currently installed is hyperx, the one i'm looking at buying is kingston value ram because it matches up to the hyperx 533mhz currently installed on my computer and hyperx from what I found does not support 533mhz anymore.
This is what I want to buy " KVR533D2N4K2/2G 2GB 533MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL4 DIMM (Kit of 2)"
Old 11-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #7
TSF Enthusiast

My System

maybe take a picture and post it here of your ram sticker of copy exactly as it reads

(for ram cap check purposes)

do you remember how big the ram was when you purchased it ?

if they really do checkout to be 1gig sticks and you are only reading 512mb for each ,

safest way is to just not use those 2 sticks and buy new ones

this is what your other link said

Description: 2GB 533MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL4 DIMM (Kit of 2)
Detailed Specifications: Standard 128M X 64 Non-ECC 533MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (DDR2, 1.8V, CL4) (Datasheet)
Mfgr's System P/N's: N/A
Form Factor: Memory Module
Pieces/Unit: 2 (Two 1GB modules, totaling 2GB)

, it looks like maybe your other ram was something

similar like this :

1gb 533 mhz ram (kit of 2)

anyway , even if it is the way its supposed to be , i don't think its too safe to have 1gb

ram sticks side by side with 512mb sticks?

although i have done it before i wouldn't usually recommend it .

like tyree quoted x2 and x4 is probably better , but i have heard using all 4 ram slots

might cause north bridge voltage problems D:
Old 11-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyza View Post
maybe take a picture and post it here of your ram sticker of copy exactly as it reads

(for ram cap check purposes)

do you remember how big the ram was when you purchased it ?

if they really do checkout to be 1gig sticks and you are only reading 512mb for each ,

safest way is to just not use those 2 sticks and buy new ones

this is what your other link said

Description: 2GB 533MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL4 DIMM (Kit of 2)
Detailed Specifications: Standard 128M X 64 Non-ECC 533MHz 240-pin Unbuffered DIMM (DDR2, 1.8V, CL4) (Datasheet)
Mfgr's System P/N's: N/A
Form Factor: Memory Module
Pieces/Unit: 2 (Two 1GB modules, totaling 2GB)

, it looks like maybe your other ram was something

similar like this :

1gb 533 mhz ram (kit of 2)

anyway , even if it is the way its supposed to be , i don't think its too safe to have 1gb

ram sticks side by side with 512mb sticks?

although i have done it before i wouldn't usually recommend it .

like tyree quoted x2 and x4 is probably better , but i have heard using all 4 ram slots

might cause north bridge voltage problems D:

Hyperx ram installed in computer "khx4300d2k2/1g", its a kit of 2 totaling 1gig of ram and currently installled in dual channel (slot A1 and B1)

I baught the ram I was trying to decide apon at the beginning of the thread "kvr533d2n4k2/2g" and plugged it in slots A2 and B2.

Start computer and everything looks good, posts says the ram is running in dual channel interleaved whatever that mean at 4300 totaling 3 gigs. everything looks to be running fine..........
Old 11-16-2011, 09:52 PM   #9
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

good to hear that

Mark thread solved under thread tools when issue has been resolved.
Closed Thread