Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] I have a good hunch, but need 2nd opinion, PSU related

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] I have a good hunch, but need 2nd opinion, PSU related within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey whats up, Any ways, I have a good hunch in thinking its my power supply, (generic pos!). Heres my

Closed Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 02:23 PM   #1

Question

Hey whats up,

Any ways, I have a good hunch in thinking its my power supply, (generic pos!).

Heres my problems:
It just recentely started acting up, (at the perfect time,) when i ordered my new power supply.

After playing some demanding games like Bioshock, ArmA, Crysis, etc. high settings - above, I start seeing stuttering, no artifacts, heat in the case and on my cpu, video card, etc are fine, so i open up the Task Manager, and I notice I'm using 90-95% of my cpu.

Which is strangely ODD because before it was around 50-60%, through out a time frame of an hour to 3 hours of pure gaming. Now within a few minutes it is actually hitting the stutter phase.

I have opened up my computer, re-applied some AS5, reseated the Heat Sink, cleaned out the computer with Co2, replugged in ALL the hdd's,video card,cpu,everything.

It just recentely started happening, has no virus' malware, or any other junk at all. So I am thinking its my power supply failing. Could i be right on this ?

Also I'm 90% sure on this other thing im about to ask, I seated a more demanding gpu in the board, plugged it in, and powered it up. Everything was as normal, computer booted, but my monitor was blank. I'm thinking this is what sparked my already weak psu to start failing. Is it possible that im underpowered ? Are these signs towards this suggestion ? My power supply wont be in for another few days. So i'm looking for a little insight.

And say when my other psu does come in, 1000w ABS Tagan series, does come in, it should give enough power to the video card and i would then be able to see off the new gpu through the monitor right ?

P.S. (don't ask what cpu, videocard, psu, etc that i am running please. I know what i am running and its in my box for you to see if you click it, though i believe the psu is wrong. Just looking to see weather this is a common psu problem for underpower.)

Thanks

(forgot to mention, it runs windows absolutely fine, internet, music, etc. Just during heavy gaming, my cpu usage jumps to around 100 which it never did until now. I also added a new keyboard, mouse, and headset ontop of a booming stereo system to the pc. Which is all powered by my pc, which is another reason im pretty sure its due to under power in the psu.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #2

hmmm i guess no one here knows ?

All im asking is if the new power supply "should" fix the graphics card problem where the monitor is not recieving input, and that the cpu "should" stop going under that much load due to inadequate power.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

yes you are on the right track high powered systems require quality psu's

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2009, 11:24 PM   #4

alright thanks dai, was just wondering. Appreciate it man
Old 02-28-2009, 02:02 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Things to think about...in relation to the negative effects of heat on the computer...That can be caused by the power supply.

Manufacturers test their PSU's at a set temperature...from this their rating is determined... for most this No. is 25 degrees Celsius...which falls short of the temperature that most computers are capable of achieving.

Given that a PSU will actually lose 2-5 watts per one degree of heat above the 25 Degree Celsius testing temperature...coupled with the fact that computers tend to run at 10 degrees higher than room temperature... In the summer time when the room temperature can easily reach 80 degrees F... your computer will be running at 33 Degrees C. or 90 Degrees F.

So the...math can make...your 500 watt power supply into a 460 watt unit.

In addition to this...what needs to be taken into account is that each degree that your computer components are operating at...under powered...adds more heat to the equation.

Consider also...the possibility...that ratings given by the manufacturer of single components...such as graphics cards...need to be treated with skepticism...Manufacturers may minimize support issues and under rate the power required...in order to make a larger profit.

The above has not taken into account...the issue of high quality vs poor quality units...Power supplies convert voltages from wall outlets to lower levels used by the PC. During this conversion, some power is lost as heat. The efficiency level of the PSU determines how much extra power must be put into the power supply to run the PC. A high quality PSU can help reduce the noise and heat generated within a computer system. The higher the efficiency rating the less heat the PSU has to deal with.

Therefore heat is the computers enemy...The hotter the temperature your PSU is forced to run at...the poorer the supply of power the rest of the components will receive...which has been known to lead to such things as crashes, freezing, rebooting, BSODís, and video distortion, as well as partial and complete failure of other components.

The fact is very few PSUís are capable of producing the wattage that the companies advertise.

I suggest...a quality 550w PSU...as the minimum one should purchase...to provide power to a PCIE card. But for a very good comprehension of recommended brand names, wattage, and models in listed categories...Plus much more...check out this link. https://www.techsupportforum.com/f210...on-192217.html
Old 02-28-2009, 02:41 AM   #6

Thanks Net Jockey, noted.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:15 AM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

Quote:
I suggest...a quality 550w PSU...as the minimum one should purchase

start with a 750 watt thermaltake tough power.

corsair
silverstone
coolermaster
seasonic
pc power and cooling
Old 02-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #8

I've got a ABS Tagan series 1100W coming in, in around 2 days.

Just wanted to know if it would clear up the problem with the gpu not sending signal to the monitor.

As for the cpu load jumping to 90%+, it was definetely the powersupply.
I unplugged 2 of my speaker sets, and a few other USB things, and viola, no more cpu jumping around.

I'm positive it was not receiving enough power.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:26 PM   #9
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

i don't think the 2 previous posters read the thread through

Old 02-28-2009, 07:08 PM   #10

hahhah agreed.

still, i appreciate it.

Thanks again dai
Closed Thread