Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Crashing within a few minutes every time

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Crashing within a few minutes every time within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hey guys, I created a thread in Windows 7 which you can look over here if you'd like. Windows 7

Closed Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 07:18 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hey guys, I created a thread in Windows 7 which you can look over here if you'd like.

Windows 7
x64
I built this computer
Age of system hardware - 8 months to 3 years and up
age of OS - 2 months
CPU - AMD Phenom II X4 945 (3.0GHZ, 2MB L2 CACHE)
GPU - nVidia 8800GTX
Asus M4A79XTD EVO
Rosewell 550 Watt PSU

In short, I had a ton of BSODs and crashes when watching TV through media center and playing WoW, we traced the BSODs to a failing hard drive. I just got my replacement hard drive and re-installed windows only to find that I'm still crashing. On the plus side, my computer is much quicker thanks to the caviar black HD.

If I launch wow + media center TV, I am pretty much guaranteed to crash within 5 minutes. I don't BSOD, it just goes black. Look at the videos to see what I mean. Any one have any ideas? This is driving me nuts... I'm starting to think it's a dying video card... But the video card doesn't fail when I run the EVGA OC stress test that they recommended I do (I've started a RMA with them).

YouTube - Computer Crash To see it crashing. But you can still hear the audio briefly after it dies... And as you can see, all temps are WELL within acceptable...

So i figured I'd try voltages, so I DLed ASUS's program to view voltages (because speedfan reads +12 as 5.7 volts...) and here's what I saw. This was a quick crash, literally crashed in less than 30 seconds.
YouTube - Crash2

Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 08:10 PM   #2
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

Check the voltages in BIOS. Speedfan is unreliable and the Asus system monitor is showing your +12V at 12.4V just before the computer crashes.

If anything is overclocked, go back to default clock speeds for now.

The Rosewell 550W is a low quality PSU with a less than 70% efficiency rating and barely enough +12V amps to power an 8800GTX. 2x18A is not enough (approx 25A taking efficiency and quality into account).

As the +12V line powers the graphics card and hard drives, the weak Rosswell could have been responsible for the drive failing and could also be causing problems with the graphics card. As the first step in fixing your problem, I would test the card in another computer with a more suitable PSU. If it works ok, replace the Rosewell with a good quality 550/650W that has over 40A/+12V.

Disable Social Media Buttons: adblockplus.org/en/features#socialmedia
Old 09-09-2010, 09:23 PM   #3
Registered Member

Yeah, just tested video card with a separate power supply and it still crashes under load. I doubt that it's my power supply. Any other ideas?

I'm leaning towards video card dying.

Ok, so thinking over it. If my PSU were the cause, would it be normal to see it spike up to 12.4 rather than down to 11ish? I started thinking about when I noticed this, and it would be about the time I installed a TV tuner card into my computer...

I have 5 fans, a quad core processor, a 8800GTX, 2 audio cards, 2 CD drives, 3 hard drive, Cathode Tubes, and LED lighting off of my 550 watt PSU. I've had this PSU for years and never had a problem, with this similarish setup (dual core CPU and no TV tuner).

I'll unplug all unnecessary components and try it again to see if it crashes. I can't just swap the GPU into another computer because my desktop has the biggest PSU. My roommate's dell has a 250 watt OEM psu...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Brand / model of PSU you used? I would agree that it seems likely to be the Rosewill PSU that is deteriorating and bringing down your system.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:01 AM   #5
Registered Member

Damn... I just unplugged 2 hard drives, 2 CD drives, and all of my lighting and I STILL crash very quickly when watching TV + WoW. It will do either one PERFECTLY alone, just not together...

I was watching the voltages too and the extremes that I saw were 11.9 to 12.4. Do you know if there's a way I can see what voltage the video card is getting? Perhaps the video card is on a separate rail? In the software that is. And BIOS readings are pretty solid at 12v... But I can't see it under load that way

Can someone come up with a reason why my computer crashes when watching TV + WoW, but not if I double box in Wow? My friend just played for 3 hours without a crash, but as soon as the media center opens to a TV station (HD channels speed the crash up), screens go black and computer restarts... Just like in my earlier videos... So irritating.

I'm trying to find all ways to make sure it's not the video card, because the video card has a lifetime warranty, and I'd have to buy a new PSU, and being a college student, I'm strapped for cash atm... But in a week I'll have a little extra... I just want to be absolutely sure before I shell out $100 for a PSU... I just shelled out $120 for my hard drive 3 days ago and another $20 for shipping some headphones that died on me 2 days ago, and I just had to buy 4 new tires for my car after a nail penetrated the sidewall on Monday and the rest of my tires were worn. I'm sure having some ****** luck these past few days...

Hey guys. So I decided to just make damn sure it was my PSU and I went out and "rented" a 850 watt thermaltake from bestbuy (it's the only brand they had, I looked at the ratings and it has a 69A +12 rail that is wayyyy more than sufficient for my setup. I plugged it all in, and well... Same exact thing as usual. Crashes very quickly. Sigh. Nothing's overclocked...

How ever, this time it crashed and when it restarted, windows saved some info, but it's the usual 0x124 crash. I'll post the log with my desktop since I'm on my laptop now.

BTW, before you say it's my ram:

And just got a new HD, and re-performed a long DST on all of my 3 drives, to which all passed.

Here's the video of what it does, as you can see, happened within seconds of the game loading, seems to crash faster now :/
YouTube - Crashing with brand new 850 watt PSU

EDIT: Uploaded crash files. Opinions would be great because I'm really really starting to get frustrated now :(

Anyone have any ideas? This is difficult :( it crashed again but the video froze onscreen and became corrupted. It was weird red and blue. I'll post pictures

Here are the pictures of what i walked in on... Bizarre way to crash.

I'm thinking video card, anyone else? the guy i'm talking to trying to RMA it is trying to blame it on everything he possibly can.

You can see the closed captions from the TV i was watching on the left and the wow menu on the right monitor...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	427.5 KB
ID:	78293  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Crashfiles.zip (23.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 09-10-2010, 03:28 AM   #6
Registered Member

I never plugged the floppy back in so that's not the issue. I checked out the GPU clock speed in the BIOS, but didn't see anything for PCI-E bus speed (are they the same thing?). If so, how high should I be putting it? The allowable range was 150-2000, but it started at 500 so 2000 seems like a big jump.

Sorry again for the big gap in responses, college is starting again soon so I've been out of town a lot for the end of summer!

Anyways, my computer is still hanging. I don't think I can increase PCI-E bus speed in BIOS, at least I can't find it. I did increase the GPU clock speed a bit but it didn't seem to have any effect. Any other ideas? Thank you guys for all the help so far, this issue is driving me crazy.

Ok, I was working in a text editing program while watching a recorded TV show and it crashed with 0x124 again, under seemingly NO stress... when watching TV my CPU is at about 10-15% load. I downloaded this program and I'm trying to run it, it won't let me run the GPU and PSU test because it says my DirectX 9 is out of date... lol, I'm running Windows 7...

What ever, I'm downloading DX9 for 7 now and I'll give it another shot. I'd be super pissed if it were something as simple as out of date direct x? Shouldn't graphics drivers from nvidia include these updated directx libraries?

Also, sensor views pro is also inaccurate with my +12 and +3.3 rails. Terribly inaccurate, reads them at 5.05 and 0.03! So since the PSU has a single +12 rail, I'll just use a multimeter and read it under load.

Bah, it's kind of irritating that you can only edit your post for 15 minutes.

Anyway, I downloaded and installed Directx9 for windows 7 and i'm running the PSU stress test as we speak. My temps/voltages were are folows for idling:
5v 5.05v
12v 12.09
CPU 32 c
GPU 62c
Sys 38c
Aux 37c

Now, I don't know if it's the program, for the fact that my GPU is using the bottom slot which has really bad air circulation, but I have never seen my GPU temps get so high ever, I may stop the test and install ntune so I can manually set my GPU fan speed to 100% and I might even relocate my GPU back to the better air-flowing spot. It's been running for 10 minutes now and it's at 90* c. That is retarded hot. I could nearly boil water. Funny thing is that it hasn't crashed at all yet. CPU temp has never gone above 44* C

Sys is at 49*c
and Aux is at 48*c

as for power supply, well at idle it was 12.09v, and all the way through load so far it's been a 100% steady 12.08 with no flucuations. This new PSU is boss.

It's been running for 15 minutes now and no crashes. I don't think this is hardware related :S or at least not what it's testing. all CPU cores at 100% for a period, then it goes to 25%. If my GPU and CPU are running at max temps with no problems for over 15 minutes when it normally dies within 2 minutes running simple games that don't stress it.

:/ Maybe direct X was the issue? My GPU just hit 91*, but went down. After 20 minutes I'm stopping the test because these temps are making me nervous. I'll relocate my video card and go again.

Wow.. Ok so i ran your test. No crashes.... Once I relocated my video card the max it got to was 81*, which is acceptable. Processor never went about 44*.

So I ran it for an hour, it made it with 0 crashes. So I was like, Ok, maybe it was a fluke? And I ran it AGAIn for another hour with no crashes.

So it's ran this program for 2 hours with no crashes, but it will crash with Windows media center and another program within 2 minutes. Hmmm...

I'm starting to suspect a driver issue between windows media center and my video capture card? What is weird though is that I crashed when I was watching a recorded file through media center and working in a text editor....

Guess I'll pull the capture card out and try it agian...

EDIT:
Spoke too soon. I took my capture card out, fired up windows media center and started watching a recorded HD video and fired up wow. I crashed within 30 seconds. god damn this is irritating!!!! 0x124 AGAIN...

lol, sorry for so many posts, it would be easier if I could just edit.

Something very weird just happened. I opened wow, and left it at the login screen while I opened the HD video in windows media player, it opened started playing and crashed within 2 seconds of playing. It was so strange. I'll try to record it

Please tell me this isn't accurate -_-

As that'd make it sound like my motherboard is the cause of this for some reason. Even though it ran your stress test for 2 hours without problems.

and to make things worse, I came across this https://forums.amd.com/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=383&threadid=130737.

Same problem, same motherboard -_-

EDIT: I should also mention that I've disabled on board audio, pulled out all of my expansion cards, all i have is my GPU in my PCIe slot, i've unplugged my CD drives from the motherboard, so the only things plugged into it are the bare minimums...

Also, When i was loading something, my screen went black for a moment, then came back with a message in the bottom saying
"Display driver stopped responding and has recovered
Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 258.96 stopped responding and has successfully recovered." if that means anything

bump, any thoughts? Still locking up pretty frequently.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	***.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	133.4 KB
ID:	78983  
Old 09-11-2010, 11:54 PM   #7
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

your psu needs to be a quality unit of 650w 80+ or better

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...corsair%2b650w

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...corsair%2b750w

Old 09-12-2010, 07:29 AM   #8
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

The Thermaltake 850W (Toughpower range?) that you're now using is a big improvement over the Rosewell 550W. You say you've only rented it, but I would keep it rather than going back to the Rosewell.

It's possible that your graphics card has been damaged over time by the weak +12V amps from the Rosewell PSU, which are lower than the recommended minimum amps for PCIE cards, so your next step it to replace the graphics card with a known-good one and test it with the Thermaltake.

From https://www.sevenforums.com/crash-loc...-what-try.html
Quote:
Generic "Stop 0x124" Troubleshooting Strategy:

1) Ensure that none of the hardware components are overclocked. Hardware that is driven beyond its design specifications - by overclocking - can malfunction in unpredictable ways.

2) Ensure that the machine is adequately cooled. If there is any doubt, open up the side of the PC case (be mindful of any relevant warranty conditions!) and point a mains fan squarely at the motherboard. That will rule out most (lack of) cooling issues.

3) Update all hardware-related drivers: video, sound, RAID (if any), NIC... anything that interacts with a piece of hardware. It is good practice to run the latest drivers anyway.

4) Update the motherboard BIOS according to the manufacturer's instructions. Their website should provide detailed instructions as to the brand and model-specific procedure.

5) Rarely, bugs in the OS may cause "false positive" 0x124 events where the hardware wasn't complaining but Windows thought otherwise (because of the bug). At the time of writing, Windows 7 is not known to suffer from any such defects, but it is nevertheless important to always keep Windows itself updated.

6) Attempt to (stress) test those hardware components which can be put through their paces artificially. The most obvious examples are the RAM and HDD(s). For the RAM, use the in-built memory diagnostics (run MDSCHED) or the 3rd-party memtest86 utility to run many hours worth of testing. For hard drives, check whether CHKDSK /R finds any problems on the drive(s), notably "bad sectors". Unreliable RAM, in particular, is deadly as far as software is concerned, and anything other than a 100% clear memory test result is cause for concern. Unfortunately, even a 100% clear result from the diagnostics utilities does not guarantee that the RAM is free from defects - only that none were encountered during the test passes.

7) As the last of the non-invasive troubleshooting steps, perform a "vanilla" reinstallation of Windows: just the OS itself without any additional applications, games, utilities, updates, or new drivers - NOTHING AT ALL that is not sourced from the Windows 7 disc. Should that fail to mitigate the 0x124 problem, jump to the next steps. Otherwise, if you run the "vanilla" installation long enough to convince yourself that not a single 0x124 crash has occurred, start installing updates and applications slowly, always pausing between successive additions long enough to get a feel for whether the machine is still free from 0x124 crashes. Should the crashing resume, obviously the very last software addition(s) may be somehow linked to the root cause.

If stop 0x124 errors persist despite the steps above, and the harware is under warranty, consider returning it and requesting a replacement which does not suffer periodic MCE events.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
Registered Member

When I say i'm renting the power supply, I could keep it, but it's $140, I'd rather spend $90 on newegg and get the 650 watt corsair and get the $30 update.... How ever I do really like the detachable cables for the Thermaltake's 850 watt PSU

BTW, EVGA decided to grant my RMA approval and they'll replace my card once they get it, so hopefully all this will fix these issues.

Do you think that the dying video card could be the cause of my 0x124 bsod?
Old 09-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman
several points of discussion; take them for what they are

A) a power supply will lose approx 15-20% of its rated capacity each YEAR of operation; when you say your rosewill is several years old; it makes me shiver to think of the degree the capicators have diminshed in that unit

B) when you ran memtest on your memory sticks; did you test each stick solo or did you test multiple sticks deployed? memtest works at its most through when only testing one stick at a time for two hours per stick. when a user tests multiple sticks errors can hide very easily as the cpu and memory are faster than memtest program can trip up defective sticks with mathmatical equations

C) when gaming on WOW and watching TV (not sure how you do that' but hey you must be a MUCH better multi tasker than me; LOL) did you check your cpu temps / system temps / system voltages etc

I use this program (30 day free trial) to watch these items: record all temps after a fresh start when computer is idle for 20 minutes then play WOW and run movie or whatever that other resource stress point is you have and record temps again

https://stvsoft.com/

D) and the answer is YES, a PSU can also over volt when stressed instead of under volting; a dying unit can do just about anything it wants

some good reading here

https://www.legionhardware.com/articl..._series,6.html

quote:

Therefore it is recommend you allow for at least 20% wattage that is required if the power supply is intended to be used for more than 1 year, and even more if you run the system 24/7. For almost all high-end gaming systems, this makes the 750 watt version a smarter choice.

one good thing is your video card is made by EVGA which has the best customer support in the video card biz; but I fear you will toast the new card if you return to using your old PSU

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!https://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

https://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ml#post2598903
Old 09-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #11
Moderator Hardware Team

My System

The video card is one possible cause for the 0x24 BSOD. Let us know if EVGA get back to you with a diagnosis of the card.

If you prefer PSUs with detachable cables and you want to go with Corsair instead of Thermaltake, Corsair has the modular HX Series. Same high quality, but more expensive than the non-modular TX Series.

Corsair 650W HX - $99 after rebate - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139012
Corsair 750W HX - $140 after rebate - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139010
Corsair 850W HX - $160 after rebate - https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817139011

The same PSUs in the TX Series are 650W-$60, 750W-$90, 850W-$120, so you're paying extra for the ability to remove some cables.

Old 09-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I agree with Koala; the Corsair 750-tx is probably the best valued high end psu on the market for yet another year

If you think a poor quality power supply cant make weird issues; think again!https://www.techsupportforum.com/f15/...ot-458103.html

Old 09-12-2010, 06:14 PM   #13
Registered Member

Alright guys, thanks for all the input.

Linderman, I don't actually play wow anymore. In my room, I use my computer as a TV and my roommate's computer is garbage so he would come into my room and play wow and I would lay on my bed and watch TV on the other monitor. WoW + TV is the only way to crash my computer, so I just turn em both on. If you see in the videos, I don't do anything in wow but look around and fly lol.

I did think of checking temps and voltages, but voltages reported by various programs vary greatly between programs, so I take it with a grain of salt, but they all have reported within spec voltages (+/-5%).

As for memtest, I ran it with both sticks in, but I ran the test 3 individual times with around 10 hours run time each, i got a 12 hour run in on another. All came back without errors. I can test each stick alone if it would really make a difference.

I guess I really do need to look into replacing the PSU... 550 watt and I've had it for several years, and my desktop runs 24/7 :S So every red flag you listed I do :P

Maybe i should lean more for a 750 watt than a 650 since I keep it running all the time.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:42 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My System

keep us posted; at least now I dont feel like such a dud! LOL

I thought i was headed for the city dump because I cant play WOW and watch TV at the same time LOL

hell I get pawned trying to play any game forget the multi tasking

Old 09-13-2010, 04:49 AM   #15
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

also study the caps on the board, check for any bulged or leaking units.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #16
Registered Member

Yeah, I'm pretty confident that this issue stems from the video card. I put in a secondary video card I have and set it to the HD channel and opened WoW and logged in and left for class. 5 hours later it's still running just fine... I mailed my video card off to EVGA today so hopefully by next week. Looks like I'm going to be shopping for a new powersupply too, even though i really lack the money at the moment... >_<

Ok guys, So i got my new Corsair 650 TX PSU and a brand new GPU from EVGA and plugged it all in, only to find that I STILL crash.

Same ****, same way it crashes. I don't get any BSODs, it just dies like it always had, going straight to black. But what gets me is that when I was waiting for my replacement GPU, I was using one of my older ones, in the same slot, and could watch HDTV and play WoW, I turned them both on and walked away for HOURS and came back to a still running computer. But back to my 8800GTX replacement, same **** as before?! How is this possible with a brand new video card?

I tried leaving just 1 stick of ram in my computer. So I tried WoW + TV with 1 stick, crashed. Replaced stick with other one, crashed. Moved stick to other slot, crashed.

So I'm still pretty damn sure it's not my ram...

I tried moving my TV Tuner card (which was originally in my 2nd 16x PCIE slot) to a 1x PCIE slot, and I still crash.

I'm going to keep trying to crash it to see if I can figure something out.

Anyone have any ideas?

So far I've replaced (with brand fking new components)
1) Hard Drive
2) Power Supply
3) Video Card
4) Absolutely clean install of Windows 7 x64 and installing all my video drivers.

xxxxxxxxxx I've spent around $200 that I really didn't have to spend and I'm still getting the same fking problem.

Ideas?

90 nm process
It crashed again, this time windows said it has recovered from an unexpected shut down.

I could upload the minidump, but it doesn't seem there's a point because it through the same fking 0x124 code it has been from the very beginning.

WOW!

I removed the off color language and replaced it with x's. Please refrain from using that type of language.
Thank You,
Tyree

Sorry, can't edit my post any more...

Here's what my minidump ended up in when I ran it through windbg
Quote:
Symbol search path is: srv*c:\symbols*https://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols
Executable search path is:
Windows 7 Kernel Version 7600 MP (4 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS Personal
Built by: 7600.16617.amd64fre.win7_gdr.100618-1621
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`02a55000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`02c92e50
Debug session time: Wed Sep 22 17:18:14.627 2010 (GMT-5)
System Uptime: 0 days 0:00:09.970
Loading Kernel Symbols
Loading User Symbols
Mini Kernel Dump does not contain unloaded driver list
The call to LoadLibrary(ext) failed, Win32 error 0n2
"The system cannot find the file specified."
Please check your debugger configuration and/or network access.
The call to LoadLibrary(exts) failed, Win32 error 0n2
The call to LoadLibrary(kext) failed, Win32 error 0n2
The call to LoadLibrary(kdexts) failed, Win32 error 0n2
The call to LoadLibrary(ext) failed, Win32 error 0n2
The call to LoadLibrary(exts) failed, Win32 error 0n2
The call to LoadLibrary(kext) failed, Win32 error 0n2
The call to LoadLibrary(kdexts) failed, Win32 error 0n2
* Bugcheck Analysis *
Bugcheck code 00000124
Arguments 00000000`00000000 fffffa80`0537f8f8 00000000`00000000 00000000`00000000

RetAddr : Args to Child : Call Site
fffff800`02d0fa89 : fffffa80`0537f8d0 fffffa80`039ff680 00000000`0000000c 00000000`00000001 : nt!WheapCreateLiveTriageDump+0x6c
fffff800`02bf1667 : fffffa80`0537f8d0 fffff800`02c6a5f8 fffffa80`039ff680 00000002`00000005 : nt!WheapCreateTriageDumpFromPreviousSession+0x49
fffff800`02b59c45 : fffff800`02ccc360 fffffa80`04997be8 fffffa80`04997be0 fffffa80`039ff680 : nt!WheapProcessWorkQueueItem+0x57
fffff800`02ad2961 : fffff880`00dcfe00 fffff800`02b59c20 fffffa80`039ff680 fffffa80`039ff680 : nt!WheapWorkQueueWorkerRoutine+0x25
fffff800`02d69c06 : 00000560`00000000 fffffa80`039ff680 00000000`00000080 fffffa80`039739e0 : nt!ExpWorkerThread+0x111
fffff800`02aa3c26 : fffff880`02d63180 fffffa80`039ff680 fffff880`02d6dfc0 00000560`00000000 : nt!PspSystemThreadStartup+0x5a
00000000`00000000 : fffff880`02fc5000 fffff880`02fbf000 fffff880`02fc40f0 00000000`00000000 : nt!KxStartSystemThread+0x16
Old 09-22-2010, 05:10 PM   #17
TSF Enthusiast

My System

try this

use driver sweeper (free) to remove all video card drivers use both nvidia and ati removal just to be sure

https://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

then perform a complete shut down not just a restart / then download the newest driver for your card

Old 09-22-2010, 05:36 PM   #18
Registered Member

No go. I'll give it another shot with older drivers.

Why would it work perfectly with my older ATI PCIe video card but crash with a 8800GTX everytime when doing both things?

Driver issue?

EDIT:

nope.... still crashing.. Replacing the hard drive, PSU, and video card did nothing >_< I don't get why my old video card was just FINE THOUGH!!! irritating. all crashes that reported an error came back with a 0x124 though...

And I tried moving the video card to my other PCIe x16 slot. Nothing :/ Still crashes.

So it also seems it's not just wow that makes it crash. Seems any application using the video card heavily will.

I took my audio card out too because I heard that it can cause 0x124 sometimes. So the audio is going off of the integrated audio card now.

YouTube - More Crashing
If you listen to how it crashes, it sounds kinda scary.

Anyone have a clue?
Old 09-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #19
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

0x124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR and is described as "A fatal hardware error has occurred."

d/load and run the h/drive makers diagnostic utility on the h/drive

https://www.tacktech.com/display.cfm?ttid=287

if you don't know the brand run the hatachi one

if it comes up clear run

chkddsk /f

what does the bios list for your cpu temp,the sound is like a siren sound usually indicates overheating

Old 09-22-2010, 10:46 PM   #20
Registered Member

Thanks for the idea, but I've been down this road. It's what led me to buy a new hard drive.

Temperatures are all WELL within acceptable. I had a box fan blowing air onto the computer too just to make sure! CPU was at 36* C, GPU hovers around 60*C, and all other temps 30*-40*C. All those temps are while under load (watching HDTV and gaming). when idle it's much lower.

It's definately not heat related. I wish it were that simple :(

No over clock, brand new GPU, PSU, and hard drive that I replaced because I was told these are probable causes.

I'll run the hard drive check utility again and let you know.

And I'll attach 5 mem dumps, perhaps the combination of them can point us somewhere? All errors are 0x124 though... :(

EDIT: Thinking about what you said with overheating, is it possible either the north or southbridge heat sink isn't seated properly and causing it to overheat? I know the motherboard has a temp sensor, but I don't know what it's on. Perhaps I should dig the motherboard out and try checking it?

Thought I'd throw in that I ran 3 different HD tests and all my HDs passed :/
Guess I'll take a shot at checking heat sinks this weekend? Why would it only crash when both 3d game + TV are running and not any other circumstance?
Attached Files
File Type: zip dumps.zip (54.7 KB, 20 views)
Closed Thread