Tech Support Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

[SOLVED] computer will not boot

960 views 14 replies 3 participants last post by  dai 
#1 ·
When I turn power on the cpu fan comes on for second only. I have reset the bios and ram to no avail. I have installed three different psu's, a 350,450 and a 550 watt new corsair. This computer was running fine until I installed the corsair. The computer is a custom built with no video card, two hd's and two dvd's. I have unplugged all but one hd (C). Any help/suggestion will be appreciated.

#2 ·
Re: computer will not boot

am I right in thinking you had a psu in there then changed to a new corsair before this problem happened?

if so what was the psu before?

did you unplug the system from the wall and switch the old psu off before disconnecting?

#6 ·

what are you running
video card
cpu
m/board
ram
power supply
brand
wattage

check the listings in the bios for voltages and temperatures and post them

have you plugged the aux power plug into the m/board
Display is via/s3g km400/kn400 display adapter
cpu is amd athlon, athlon xp and duron
m.b. is msi ms-6734 v1.x m-atx
ram is 624 m.b.
power supply is 350 watt ez media
check listings -- can't do that-it want boot.
The four pin atx 12v plug is connected to m.b.

#5 · (Edited by Moderator)
I take it the motherboard has onboard graphics?

do the PSUs you have tried have active PFC or do they require you to set the voltage for the country you are in? I take it they will be PFS active.

If you have tried 3 corsair PSUs then I very much doubt it is a psu problem as having 3 knackered power supplies especially corsair ones would be extremely unlucky.

My feeling at this point would tell me motherboard or ram is faulty.

try taking the ram out completely and turn the system on and see if anything happens, it should go to boot but you will get a series of beeps as the ram is not installed. Try this first.

sorry I should have asked. Have you made sure the 4 pin connector from the corsair psu is in the slot next to the cpu?

#10 ·

Thanks greenbrucelee. Should it run on one slot of ram? It's running with one but no video. Also would you tell me more about your first response -did you unplug the system from the wall and switch the old psu off before disconnecting?

#11 ·

you can run a system with one ram stick in yes, if your not getting any video then you will need to make sure the system is set to run from onboard video. if it is selected to run from onboard video then you may have a faulty motherboard.

By unplugging etc. I meant before you installed the new psu did you switch the pc off, turn the old power supply off and unplug from the wall before disconnecting the power supply. If you didn't do that then the psu you removed could have over volted the motherboard or the ram and therefore damaged the system.

#12 ·

Thanks again. I mislead you in my first post. I have one corsair, the others are old xx brands. I shipped the corsair back to corsair for a replacement yesterday. Should have wated. The corsair is for a newer computer. Maybe I can install it with less problems.

#14 ·

Quick update - The pins on the ram stick had some crud in one spot. I used a pencil eraser to clean all the pins and it worked. The video problem was, it was not plugged in all the way. All is well. Thanks to all for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.