Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

[SOLVED] Computer revs up before starting

This is a discussion on [SOLVED] Computer revs up before starting within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello gents, So for the past 2 weeks, my computer has been revving up before actually booting. To elaborate: I

Closed Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:33 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hello gents,

So for the past 2 weeks, my computer has been revving up before actually booting. To elaborate: I would turn on the power, hit the power button, and everything would start spinning, lights come on et cetera. However, after approximately 2 seconds, that is even before anything came up on the monitor or the motherboard gave the "all is well" beep, it would power down, and repeat this process. This always happens at least once, and at most 3 times. Then, the computer would boot normally. I originally attributed this to a hard disk problem I had, but after recently changing my hard disk, this issue persists.

My question here would be: Is this a serious problem? My startup time is roughly 10 seconds longer than usual, but it doesn't quite bother me. However, is there a chance that this may result in hardware damage over the long run?
If so, how should I go about diagnosing and repairing the problem?

Thanks for reading, and I hope to hear from you guys. Cheers!

P.S. I hope this is in the right forum! If it is more of a motherboard problem, kindly move this thread for me, apologies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 10:02 AM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

well first it would be helpful if you told us what computer you have or the specs of the parts in your computer. We need to know the psu make too.

turning on and off very quickly either means you have a heat or power problem.
Old 10-23-2014, 10:47 AM   #3
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

Yes, please post your computer specs. By knowing the specs of your computer, it would definitel help us troublshoot your computer more efficiently. I am suspecting that the problem could be power supply related. May I ask, do you have any spare power supply that is compatible with your computer that you can test on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Registered Member

Shoot, I knew I'd forgotten something, sorry fellas.
Intel i7 950 3.06GHz Quad
Asus Sabertooth x58
Kingston 2GB DDR3 1333MHz x 3
Palit GTX 460 2GB
Seasonic M12-II 520W PSU

No DBCooper, I do not have a spare PSU lying around unfortunately, although I could probably borrow one somewhere, but it may take awhile.
Thanks for the swift replies guys!
Old 10-23-2014, 11:27 AM   #5
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

Seasonic is a very good brand but just because it's a very good brand, doesn't mean it's immune to problems. Try another power supply when you get a chance. If you need to buy one as an interim, do so for testing purposes but keep the receipt. I recommend another Seasonic brand or XFX...can't go wrong with these two. Hope everything works out well for you.
Old 10-23-2014, 12:45 PM   #6
Registered Member

Thanks for the help you both!
Just checking, does this sound like it may cause hardware problems in the long run? Because it is honestly not a huge issue to me (as I've mentioned,) so unless continual "revving" is going to damage some important bits, I doubt I will be going through all the trouble to cut 10 seconds off my boot speed.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:28 AM   #7
Enthusiast

My System

powering on and off very quckly doesn't usually cause an issue but if for some reason the psu is over volting (which I doubt with a seasonic) then it could cause damage to components.

One question have you made sure the cpu power connector is fully inserted into its slot and cannot move? I ask because if the connector is not in correctly or is moving then it can cause the system to think there is no power to the cpu and it will shut off and then try to boot again.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:20 AM   #8
Registered Member

Thank you Bruce Lee, I checked all my connections and took the liberty of resetting my CMOS as well, and miraculously that seems to have solved the problem. I am unaware which technique fixed the issue, but regardless, thank you to everyone for your time, cheers!
Old 10-25-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
Enthusiast

My System

you probably didn't have the cpu power connector fully inserted and it was coming loose.

well done.
Closed Thread