User Tag List

RGT

This is a discussion on RGT within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. With a Toshiba AD/DC power cord, when overseas, does one need a power converter or just the plug adapter. You

Closed Thread

Old 12-16-2016, 11:44 AM   #1
RGT
Registered Member

With a Toshiba AD/DC power cord, when overseas, does one need a power converter or just the plug adapter. You would think the retailer would know, but.......no luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-16-2016, 04:02 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

It depends. If you are from the UK travelling to the US, then the plug should be enough. Going from the US to the UK, then it may be best to use a power convertor to keep items safe.
Old 12-16-2016, 04:26 PM   #3
RGT
Registered Member

Grin

Thank you

I am from Canada so will follow your advise and get a converter:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2016, 08:05 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

My System

The charger WILL be labeled with it's input capability and output voltage and connector configuration. I note my Toshiba notebook charger clearly states, "Input: 100 - 240VAC, 50 - 60HZ".

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 12-17-2016, 02:33 PM   #5
RGT
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Bright View Post
The charger WILL be labeled with it's input capability and output voltage and connector configuration. I note my Toshiba notebook charger clearly states, "Input: 100 - 240VAC, 50 - 60HZ".
I see that thank you. You are telling me then that all I need is a plug adapter and NOT a power converter too?
Old 12-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #6
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
You are telling me then that all I need is a plug adapter and NOT a power converter too?
IF your charger clearly says it supports the voltage and current frequency, then no, you do not need a power converter. Those chargers are designed for "universal" use. This is intentional so Toshiba (and the others) can sell the same charger all around the world, instead of a different charger in every country. That would add significantly to the costs (for them and us consumers) and to the logistics needed to maintain inventories for every type.

I note many, if not most, of those chargers (like mine) uses a detachable power cord from the charger to the wall. My Toshiba notebook, for example, runs on +19VDC whether used here in the US, or in China. So all Toshiba (and you and me) need to do is use the correct cord for that country (and not have to worry about separate adapters).

Even most PC power supplies are "universal" these days with the only difference being the wall end of the power cord. This is easy to do when the computer components inside the computers run off DC voltages, not AC. The +12VDC, +5VDC, and +3.3VDC voltages used by PCs are the same +12VDC, +5VDC, and +3.3VDC voltages whether here in the US, the UK, Brazil, or China.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread