Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Replacing a PSU

This is a discussion on Replacing a PSU within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I replaced an (old Iím informed) Seventeam st-300BLP 20 Pin Connector, 4 Pin 12V, 5 x Molex Connections, ATX with

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By xtechnouser
Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 03:52 AM   #1
Registered Member

I replaced an (old Iím informed) Seventeam st-300BLP 20 Pin Connector, 4 Pin 12V, 5 x Molex Connections, ATX with an Aerocool Integrator 500W 12cm Power Supply Unit all fitted AOK as I replaced the connections one by one so there was no mistakes. Connected up pushed the switch no action, since everything was replaced I looked at the Power on/off switch the replacement is shorter and there is a spur with two jack connector, so this must be my problem? Advice needed, I'm no tech but I get by. I usually get posting wrong so I hope I attached the image file correctly. BC
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	onoff.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	320250  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2018, 04:19 AM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Send a message via Skype™ to xtechnouser

I think, based on your picture, you are connecting the PCI-E Connectors to CPU Connectors. The PCI-E Connectors can be disassembled in 6-Pin plus 2-Pin, which in your case, your currently holding. The CPU Connector, the one that should be connected to thee motherboard, can be disassembled in 4-Pin plus 4-Pin. Both the PCI-E and CPU Connectors have a total of 8-Pins, but the PCI-E Connectors cannot be disassembled by 4-Pins plus 4-Pins.
beecee42 likes this.
Old 05-31-2018, 07:03 AM   #3
Registered Member

Hi xtechnouser
Many thanks for your reply.

Ok I'm not the brightest spark etc, so are you saying I need to change the cable or use another connection aka I'm a little bit lost on this one?
Cheers BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2018, 08:23 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by beecee42 View Post
Hi xtechnouser
Many thanks for your reply.

Ok I'm not the brightest spark etc, so are you saying I need to change the cable or use another connection aka I'm a little bit lost on this one?
Cheers BC
Hello!

Based on your uploaded picture, you are holding the PCI-E Power Connector. Which in case, should not or should never be inserted or connected to the motherboard. Because, it is designed for the Graphics Card.

You are holding the PCI-E Connector, look at the reference on attached photo. You cannot disassemble it into 4+4 pins right? Because it is for graphics card. You can only disassemble it into 6+2 pins. Because some graphics cards require 6-pins, others 8-pins.

Not like in the CPU Connector, some motherboards, only need 4-pins, others, 8-pins.

Find the right CPU Connector on your Power Supply my friend, see attached photo.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CPU Connector.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	320252  
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2018, 08:59 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi xtechnouser

Wow, thanks I'm a bit long in the tooth so I don't panic. I've been here too often after having PCs for 30+ years. I'll dig it all out later as I had to put it away, as Madam doesn't like the sitting room looking like a repair shop (unless it's her PC)!

Cheers from Blighty - Ben
Old 05-31-2018, 09:06 AM   #6
Registered Member

My System

No worries!
Old 06-02-2018, 06:39 AM   #7
Registered Member

Hi
Yeah got power but no activity, so need to see what the issue is. Will post the outcome. BC
Old 06-02-2018, 08:28 AM   #8
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by beecee42 View Post
Hi
Yeah got power but no activity, so need to see what the issue is. Will post the outcome. BC
Well, I hope that you did not fried or damage the motherboard / processor by inserting the PCI-E Connector. This is so because, the CPU and PCI-E Connectors have different polarity. Take a look at the attachment, you can see that both cables are completely different.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1000x2000px-LL-ac82eb1d_pinout.png
Views:	30
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	320272  
Old 06-03-2018, 04:45 PM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

The odds are you did not fry the board because it did not even try to bootup but you need to take the 8 pin cable marked CPU in the picture and split it to get the 4 you need for your plug out of it.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Closed Thread