Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Replaced PSU and dead after 4-5 hrs

This is a discussion on Replaced PSU and dead after 4-5 hrs within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently looked at an Acer Aspire AM1201 Windows Vista Desktop. It was completely dead with 115V AC present at

Closed Thread

Old 02-17-2017, 10:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

EEK!

I recently looked at an Acer Aspire AM1201 Windows Vista Desktop.
It was completely dead with 115V AC present at the cord.
PC is ~6 yrs old so opted to change out the PSU. All was good for around 4-5 hrs then completely dead again.
Windows was updating approx 109 Updates before switching off, now won't power up any more ? Blown PSU again ?

Any ideas what to look for or how to test ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2017, 12:42 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Are you having any power surges? Are you using a top of the line surge protector? What's the make/model of the new PSU that died?
Old 02-18-2017, 06:01 AM   #3
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I would inspect your power supply cabling to make sure all connectors are securely fastened.

Does the new PSU even try to turn on? Make sure the master power switch on the back of the PSU (if it has one) was not accidently flipped to off (O).

If all is okay, then you could just be unlucky and got a bad supply. It can happen with even the best brands. And note with electronics, if they are going to fail prematurely, it typically is within the first few hours of use.

While a surge and spike protector is certainly better than nothing, I much prefer and recommend the use a "good" UPS with AVR. In the case of extreme surges and spikes, the best any surge and spike protector can do is kill power to the connected devices, and that is never good for computers. And of course, a surge and spike protector does nothing for sags (opposite of surges), dips (opposite of spikes) and brownouts (long duration sags).

Last, home and every computer user should have access to a AC Outlet Tester to ensure your outlet is properly wired and grounded. I recommend one with a GFCI (ground fault circuit interrupt) indicator as it can be used to test bathroom and kitchen outlets too. These testers can be found for your type and voltage outlet, foreign or domestic, (like this one for the UK) at most home improvement stores, or even the electrical department at Wal-Mart. Use it to test all the outlets in the house and if a fault is shown, have it fixed by a qualified electrician.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2017, 08:25 AM   #4
Registered Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Are you having any power surges? Are you using a top of the line surge protector? What's the make/model of the new PSU that died?
The PSU removed was a ATX 250 PA(1), replaced with EVGA 430W 80 Plus.
The supply ran for 4-5hrs after installing, was in the process of updating Windows updates and then it was gone.

Nothing runs as per first observations. The PSU was previously purchased and returned to the Store and re-sold so I'm not 100% that there were previous issues with that.

No Power issues here right now in Canada.....
Old 02-18-2017, 08:28 AM   #5
Registered Member

Hi Bill
PSU worked for about 4-5hrs after installing. Original PSU was an ATX 250 PA (1)
replaced with a EV3A 430W PSU.
Original issue was Desktop completely dead, nothing powered up.
Worked OK for 4-5 hrs after PSU replacement. Unit is approx 5-6yrs old
Old 02-18-2017, 08:51 AM   #6
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
EV3A 430W PSU
Did you mean EVGA? If so, that is one of my preferred brands. But of course, until Man can create perfection 100% of the time, there will always be units that fail before their time.

While pretty rare, it is not unheard of a faulty connected component taking out a power supply - though typically a decent power supply will simply detect a fault (short, too much current demand, etc.) and shut down as a form of self-protection. I have several spare power supplies here that would not bother me if sacrificed. But most users don't. But still, you need to verify your new supply is working. This can be done by swapping in another, or having yours professionally tested.

Short of a professional check, you could use a PSU Tester. These are not 100% conclusive because they only provide a small, static load and they don't test for ripple or other anomalies. But they will test to ensure all required voltages are present and within the necessary 5% tolerances, and that the PSU will power on.

Quote:
No Power issues here right now in Canada.....
No way to know that without proper test equipment. Note destructive surges and spikes don't have to originate off the "grid". A malfunctioning heavy duty appliance in the house, or faulty $15 1500W hair dryer can wreck havoc too.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread