Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Random Restarts

This is a discussion on Random Restarts within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Specs Asus Rampage V Extreme Intel i7 5930K Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB @ 2133MHz GTX 1080 FTW x 2

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-2016, 09:56 PM   #1
Registered Member

My System

Specs

Asus Rampage V Extreme
Intel i7 5930K
Kingston Hyper X Fury 32GB @ 2133MHz
GTX 1080 FTW x 2
Corsair AX1200i
Samsung 950 Pro 512 GB M.2
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB

Recently I have been experiencing random PC restarts. The computer will run fine for hours (or even days sometimes) without having any issues but then randomly will reset like somebody pulled the plug and quickly plugged it back in. No errors, no blue screens. Almost like I pressed the reset button. It happens both under load and not under load.

Here are my voltage readings as well as temps

3.3V = 3.296
5V = 5.000
12V = 12.000
CoreV = 1.008V

CPU = 28C (idle) 45C (load)
GPU = 29C (idle) 43C (load)

Should I try to return the power supply or could it be something else? Thank you in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2016, 10:07 PM   #2
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

Do you have a spare power supply that you can test on your computer? it's possible that the issue could be power related.

When you can check the "Event Viewer" and see if there are any errors posted. If so, post the errors here.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:53 PM   #3
Registered Member

My System

I found something in the event viewer called "Kernel-Power" its listed as a critical event and it seems to line up with the time my PC randomly shut down last. Event ID 41 task category 63. I do not have a power supply handy at the moment but I can work on finding one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2016, 11:09 PM   #4
Registered Member

My System

I just realized the last thing I posted means nothing after some research. I would get the same error code holding down the power button or actually unplugging it. I am going to try to get my hands on a power supply and go from there.
Old 12-07-2016, 06:31 AM   #5
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Wow, your voltages are extremely tight - not sure I have ever seen a supply output exactly 5.000V and 12.000V and certainly 3.296V at just 4/1000ths of 1 volt off exactly 3.3 is exceptional too. The tolerances allowed should not exceed 5%. Your worst is down an infinitesimal .122% which is amazing.

But that is only at one load level and one point in time so I agree with DB and you need to try another PSU, if for no other reason than to eliminate yours from the equation.

Note the ATX Form Factor standard requires all PSUs to maintain output when there is loss of power (or sag below 90/180VAC) for a minimum of 16ms. Many PSUs (including top rated PSUs) struggle with this as that is shorter/faster than the time it takes for humans to detect a flicker in the lights (which is about 30ms). This means a sag (opposite of a surge) lasting 18ms, for example, is long enough to cause your PSU to stop outputting power, yet you would not even be aware there was a drop of power. This is just another reason why I say all computers should be on a "good" UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation).

So if you have access to a "good" UPS with AVR, I would connect that too as a good UPS with AVR typically has a "reaction" time of less than 10ms - plenty fast to use the batteries to "boost" the voltage back up, or if necessary, cut-over to battery power completely.

The one load level point is the same with your temps. They look just fine there, but what happens when under load? Is the interior clean of heat trapping dust?

Have you scanned for malware?

Have you inspected your motherboard for bulging/leaky electrolytic capacitors? These are tall soda can shaped components, many of which typically surround the CPU socket. A failing/faulty cap can have too much pressure build up inside causing the cap to bulge at top. When the pressure relief points (often a K or X stamped in the tops) give way you will see white to brown, dried foam oozing out the tops, or sometimes bottoms of these caps. A common symptom of a failing cap is sudden, unexplained shutdowns or reboots.

You might also pull half your RAM and see what happens. Then swap in the 2nd half and see what happens.

Do note that intermittent problems are the most difficult and time consuming to troubleshoot, especially if you cannot duplicate them on-demand. So have patience.

Lastly, because sudden power outages can corrupt hard drives, back up your data now.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 02-25-2017, 12:50 PM   #6
Registered Member

My System

Reviving this thread. I still have the problem. It took me a while to get a different PSU to test on the system. The same symptoms are present with both PSUs tested so that is not the issue.

I also tried removing the restart and shut down pins for the case buttons to no effect either.

I am about to move on to removing half the ram, if the issue persists then remove the other half. I will probably do the same with the graphics cards? After that I think the only thing it could be is processor or motherboard. I've already replaced the motherboard in this PC once so that would be kind of annoying.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Sounds like a logical troubleshooting path.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread