Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Random reboot without BSOD

This is a discussion on Random reboot without BSOD within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello I don't know if I am posting this in the right place, if I am not I am sorry

Closed Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 03:25 AM   #1
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Hello

I don't know if I am posting this in the right place, if I am not I am sorry but I hope for some advice. I have been for a while now experiencing random reboots without any warnings and without any BSOD (I have automatically reboot disabled in Windows).
Usually this happens most often while I am gaming and mostly it seems to occur in newer games such as Dragon Age Inquistion and now most recently Mass Effect Andromeda just yesterday after about 3-4 hours in the game.
But the reboot doesn't just happen in gaming it can also happen when watching a video on Youtube.

Now the random reboot issue really started after I upgraded my computer from a FX 6100 to a FX 8350 and I also installed new memory (16 GB) so either one of those hardware could be a cause.

But here is the thing I have already used RMA once on the FX 8350 because of this issue and I was told that the 8350 one I RMA'ed was defect so they sent me a new one.
That one was even worse as the reboots was more frequently so I must be really unlucky if both CPU's is defect.

So that leaves the RAM but I just recently swapped back to my old 2x4 GB sticks that I know was working before the upgrade (Used them with the FX 6100) and I still get reboots with those. So I am wondering if this could then be a PSU issue that my PSU is either insufficient or it is failing? I can rule out overheating as my CPU temps so far hasn't gone above 40c even now in the hot air outside.

I forgot to mention that I have tested all my memory sticks with memtest86+ for some passes and it reports no errors, together and individually.

Anyways my specs are:

CPU: Amd FX 8350, 8 core CPU
Memory (Currently): Crucial DDR3 1333Mhz 8GB KIT
Memory (New not using): Crucial DDR3 1600MHz BallistiX Sport 16GB KIT
PSU: Corsair TX 750 W (It's now 6 years old has been working fine but could be failing)
GPU: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB GDDR5
HDD: Corsair SSD Force Series 3 120GB & Seagate Barracuda 1TB
External HDD: Seagate Expansion Portable 2TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 05:15 AM   #2
Registered Member

do you use liquid cooler?
Old 06-14-2017, 05:18 AM   #3
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

No I use Noctua NH-D15 air fan but it is really a big heat sink so it keeps my CPU real cool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2017, 05:45 AM   #4
Registered Member

maybe the bios is set to turn off your pc off when your cpu exceed the maximum temp..
Old 06-14-2017, 05:58 AM   #5
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Yes that is true however this is not a overheating issue because as far as I know the FX 8350 should handle 40c during load, idle temps is like 25c.

If it doesn't handle that then it is is crap as my old CPU a FX 6100 reached 90c before it shut down with a old cpu cooler.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #6
Registered Member

im currently using amd fx 8320e so far so good, maybe the settings on your bios is still on your old cpu and the voltage is too low to handle the new one .. maybe
Old 06-14-2017, 06:58 AM   #7
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

I did reset my BIOS setting when I got this new CPU and also updated BIOS to the latest version as I had to do that in order to get the CPU to work (wasn't supported with old bios version) so I doubt it is the settings but I will try to reset them again to make sure.
Old 06-14-2017, 07:10 AM   #8
Registered Member

go for it and tell me what happened next
Old 06-14-2017, 07:57 AM   #9
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Well that didn't change anything. Same issue got a random reboot.
Old 06-14-2017, 12:02 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

OS: WIN7 ULTIMATE - 64 bit (SP1), FIREFOX, ASUS G75 'ROG' laptop(s)

This sounds like a marginal power supply issue, as you have adjusted everything else it seems. That would account for the lack of BSOD and sudden restart. Try to get your hands on a new PS (possibly slightly higher rated) and substitute it to see if it resolves the issue. A 6 Y-O power supply could have slowly degraded in performance. Get a power supply monitor software such as:

HWMonitor - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com

It will tell you CPU/GPU/HDD temperatures and voltage output from the PS in real-time.

It could also help to see what the actual power consumption is vs PS rating. If you have access to an AC ammeter you could see what is actually being drawn from the wall, and calculate the effective system power consumption (Voltage x Amperage = Watts) from the PS by its efficiency rating, which can usually be found on the PS manufacturers website.

Corsair TX Series Features:
  • Supports ATX12V v2.2 standard and older ATX12V 2.01 spec
  • Ultra-quiet 120mm (140mm on TX750W and TX850W) double ball-bearing fan delivers excellent airflow
  • 80%+ energy efficiency at 20%, 50% and 100% load condition for less heat generation and lower energy bill
  • 99% Active Power Factor Correction provides clean and reliable power to your system
  • Universal AC input 90~264V automatically scans and detects the correct voltage
  • Dedicated single +12V rail offers maximum compatibility with latest components
  • Over Current/Voltage/Power Protection, Under Voltage Protection, and Short Circuit Protection provide maximum safety to your critical system components.
  • High quality Japanese capacitors provide uncompromised performance and reliability.
  • Extra long cables support full tower size chassis.
  • TX750W Dimension: 5.9"(W) x 3.4"(H) X 6.3"(L);
  • MTBF: 100,000 Hours
  • NVIDIA SLI™-ready certified.
If I had to venture a guess, this would be my most likely guess-timate.

"First get your facts; then you can distort them at your leisure." - Mark Twain

"Remember - HARDWARE is the part of the computer that can be KICKED!" - WIZMO
Old 06-14-2017, 03:28 PM   #11
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

I fear you may be right as I don't really know what else could be causing it so I may look into to buying a new PSU as I don't want to my PSU to die and kill something in the process.

Anyways I have attached a screenshot of HWmonitor so you or someone can tell me if something is bad there.

Old 06-15-2017, 02:28 AM   #12
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Just a little update I have now ordered a new PSU a Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W, that one should be good quality right?

No idea if it will fix the issue but even if it doesn't I can then atleast rule out the PSU and my computer will be more safe regardless.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:18 AM   #13
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Another update:

I am now convinced that it is the power supply that is the issue so it may be as you say that the power supply is simply not able to power the cpu because of age.

The reason I am convinced is because I just reverted back to my FX 6100 and runned IntelBurnTest on very high and I managed 10 passes without any indication of reboot and it said my computer is stable.

With my FX 8350 I only managed one pass on very high before reboot. Will report back when I get the new PSU to see how that works.
Old 06-27-2017, 08:16 AM   #14
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Another update:

So I just got the new PSU and installed it (Love modular cables btw) and also swapped back to the FX 8350 and I just runned the IntelBurnTest on very high and my computer only lasted like 5 minutes before reboot so I am really at a a loss right now as to what is the cause.

Unless there is some changes I must do in BIOS to make it work like changing voltages or something I think I must have gotten two bad FX 8350 chip which would be really unlucky. I am going back to the FX 6100 I guess.

Old 06-27-2017, 02:01 PM   #15
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

Did you do anything intense when you took the HWM screen shot?

Those voltages/temps are fine in the image.

Which Gigabyte motherboard do you have and what bios version is on it?
Old 06-27-2017, 03:30 PM   #16
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Well at the time when the picture was taken which was before today I was using a Gigabyte Ga-970a-ud3 with BIOS version f7 (I have tried version F8 beta as well, made no difference).

However right now about an hour ago I just installed a brand new motherboard (am3+) that I bought just before I ordered the PSU as I wanted to eliminate all possible reasons for the reboot (Also I wanted to make use on my new case a Corsair 750d I bought a while ago) So now I am using a Gigabyte Ga-970a-ds3p.

I have yet to do a IntelBurnTest on this one as I am currently downloading drivers and windows update (clean install). I will keep you posted however if this one also make a sudden reboot then I am calling my CPU defect.

Old 06-28-2017, 03:41 AM   #17
TSF - Enthusiast

My System

Final update:

Well I guess the motherboard was defect or there was some other issue but whatever it was I was now able to run the IntelBurnTest with the FX 8350 on very high for 10 passes without any reboot on the new motherboard and it reported back as stable so the issue is resolved.

Thanks for the help.

Closed Thread