Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Random power cuts/shutdowns & problem starting up

This is a discussion on Random power cuts/shutdowns & problem starting up within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My specs: Mobo : MSI X99A SLI Plus LGA 2011-3 USB 3.1 Motherboard CPU : Intel Core i7 5820K Haswell-E

Closed Thread

Old 12-03-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
Registered Member

My specs:
Mobo: MSI X99A SLI Plus LGA 2011-3 USB 3.1 Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i7 5820K Haswell-E 6-Core LGA 2011-3 3.3GHz CPU Processor
Graphics: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti Superclocked+ ACX 2.0+ 6GB Video Card
Power: CoolerMaster Vanguard 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular
Ram: Corsair 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 2400MHz Vengeance
Storage: Hitachi 2TB Ultrastar SATA 7200RPM 64MB Enterp! rise
HD: Samsung 500GB SSD 850 EVO
Cooling: Noctua NH-L12 Low Profile Multi Socket CPU Cooler
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 USB3.0 Mid Tower Case

Hi,

I'm having a problem with my PC. It will randomly turn off/crash as if the power has been cut.
This usually happens when triggered by something visual. For example, gaming is the most common culprit, it will crash during some games at random or trigger crash by some start-up or load screens meaning some games I can't even play because they always crash my PC. The power on/off button on the front of my case doesn't work anymore like a normal PC, to even get it to turn on I have to have power going to it, but have to jiggle the connected power cable in the power board I have until it hits a sweet spot and powers on, this can be interrupted if the jack is moved even a milimetre, causing it to turn off again. I have to do this until I see my power button light up fully and stay on. This is why I think it's a PSU issue. I'm wondering if my power unit isn't sufficient enough or is faulty and my PC is crashing because of a power usage trigger. I wouldn't even be able to use my PC if I didn't have this particular power board because I've tried to wriggle the power jack cable into other sockets or power boards and haven't had the same luck. So it's a miracle I can even get it to start up. Is this a power unit issue or something else? How can I fix this?

Other info: The PC is obviously pretty new, I built it last year. This problem started happening about 6 months after assembly, before that it was working perfectly. I have cleaned out the PC recently, checked all cables were connected, everything seemed fine and in working order. There are no visible indicators that anything is wrong.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2016, 07:17 PM   #2
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hi and Welcome to TSF!

I suspect this is a PSU failure and seeing that you have a CoolerMaster PSU, it's increases my suspicion even more.

Is it still under warranty? Otherwise, a nice 650 - 750W XFX or SeaSonic branded PSU will do the trick.
Old 12-03-2016, 08:28 PM   #3
Registered Member

Hi! Thank you :)

Ah, so Coolermaster have a rep of being unreliable?

I'm not sure about the warranty, I will have to find out next week as it's Sunday and I can't call my seller. If it's not I will grab a new one and see if that does the trick. I will get back to you on that.

Thanks for your reply and input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2016, 02:50 PM   #4
Microsoft MVP
Microsoft Team Moderator
Articles Team Manager
Hardware Team Moderator

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
Ah, so Coolermaster have a rep of being unreliable?
Most brands do. Most of us here only trust SeaSonic manufactured PSUs. XFX, SeaSonic, Antec HGC series PSUs is what I would recommend.
Closed Thread