Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Random Freezes in OS and BIOS

This is a discussion on Random Freezes in OS and BIOS within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi there, I've been recently experiencing random freezes even in BIOS, it all started after playing some games, I got

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2016, 10:15 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hi there, I've been recently experiencing random freezes even in BIOS, it all started after playing some games, I got some disk read error a couple weeks ago, chkdsk couldn't repair it and ended up formating the drive, which took ages. The freezes started after that and after installing new GPU drivers and messing with the quality options in catalyst control center.

I thought it was the HDD and tried to unplug it and my DVD burner drive, it still froze in BIOS, turning off the PSU for a few seconds would allow me to boot or get into the bios but then it would again freeze. It got to the point that the red activity light didn't blink and was sorta dimmed out.

I then removed two sticks of ram and it managed to boot, seems more stable now but still freezes in windows after half an hr or so.
I just went into BIOS and I notice that the PSU isn't apparently holding 12V, it fluctuates between 11 and 10.80 sometimes 10.70. Without the HDD hooked it displays even lower values of 10.43. I'm not sure If this is normal or If a dying HDD could cause the PSU to do this? or If the numbers are even accurate, I've heard that it's supposed to hold a minimum of 11.4V...

Specs below, don't make fun please! I plan on buildign a new PC in the next couple months.

CPU- P42.6ghz 800FSB
RAM- Kingstom valueram 2x1GB DDR400 and 2x256mb DDR400 TwinMos(the ones I removed)
MOBO- Abit IS7
GPU- Saphire Radeon HD3850AGP
PSU- 500W don't know which brand but seems poor quality, really light.
Also have 3USB devices hooked
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2016, 06:57 AM   #2
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

The drive should not affect freezing in the BIOS because you enter the BIOS before the boot drive is touched. But if the drive has an electrical short causing too much current, it could affect everything else. I would pull the power from the drive(s) and boot into the BIOS and see what your voltages are.

Also, when in the BIOS, the load put on the PSU is constant. So should be the voltages you see.

The ATX Form Factor standard for PC power supplies allows for 5 variances in the voltages. So 12V 5% = 11.4V to 12.6V. Yours is out of tolerance, according to your BIOS readings. I would swap in a known good spare before looking at or assuming anything else is bad.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Closed Thread