Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

RAM Upgrade Help

This is a discussion on RAM Upgrade Help within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi Everyone, So i am looking to upgrade my RAM, Currently @8gb , im planning on adding 4gb (more affordable

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 08:09 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

So i am looking to upgrade my RAM, Currently @8gb , im planning on adding 4gb (more affordable than 8 -happy wife happy life) , through my studies ive found its best to match RAM , so im wondering if i need to find the specific Memory Module thats already installed (came with the pc) , my mobo only has 2 slots for memory with an 8gb module in one.

I know i need a PC3-10600 so im wondering if thats what i need to match, opposed to: make, model, speed?

Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

Using the computer you want to upgrade, go to Crucial.com and run their Crucial System Scanner. When done, it will show you "guaranteed compatible" options for your particular setup.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:32 AM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
Using the computer you want to upgrade, go to Crucial.com and run their Crucial System Scanner. When done, it will show you "guaranteed compatible" options for your particular setup.
TYVM i appreciate that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #4
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

OS: W10P64; W7U64; W7P64; XPP32; Zorin; Slax; Ubuntu; Kali (BackTrack); Android 6.01

NP
Old 08-11-2017, 06:30 PM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
NP
So i just got home i ran the scan, found:

Crucial 8GB DDR3-1866 UDIMM CT5008696
DDR3 PC3-14900 CL=13 Unbuffered
NON-ECC DDR3-1866 1.35V 1024Meg x 64

I also opened up my Tower took a peak at what i have currently installed (came with the PC) and this is what i found:

AD3U1600W8G11-B
DDR3 1600(11)8GX16 U-DIMM

Now im all messed up lol, First the one that the site has as compatible , the last numbers stick out at me "1024Meg x 64"

The one i currently have installed "8GX16" , admittedly i am not sure if this is an issue or not as im still learning all this.

Then i think back to my first post where i listed the Memory Specifications: DDR3 1066/1333/1600(OC) SDRAM (16GB MAX) 2 DDR3 DIMMS (240) 1.5 Support Dual Channel Mode.

So i took the above to mean 1066(low) 1333(high) 1600 (Over Clock), i was going with the 1333 since im not to familiar with OC, come to find out i already have a 1600 installed..

Just when i thought i had an understanding of this i feel lost again lol.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:55 AM   #6
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Understand since you currently are running with 8GB, adding more RAM is NOT likely to provide any significant or noticeable performance gains (except on paper and in synthetic benchmark tests). For most users, 8GB is considered the "sweet spot". That is, less RAM and performance suffers. More RAM and the gains are negligible, at best.

Quote:
DDR3 1066/1333/1600(OC)
Those are 3 different RAM models supported by the motherboard, not one RAM that runs at 3 different speeds. OC stands for Overclock but in this reference, is a very ambiguous term as it varies by vendor. Generally, it means the RAM has been tested run a little faster than stock speeds.

You should buy new RAM that matches or exceeds your current RAM's speed. This is because most systems will toggle down to the slowest speed RAM installed. So if currently running with PC3 12800 (DDR3 1600), installing PC3 10600 (DDR3 1333) will toggle your total RAM speed down to 1333MHz.

Faster RAM is typically able to slow down with no problems. But slower RAM cannot speed up.

Also, while "Dual Channel" memory architecture has not panned out to be the big performance boost initial marketing fluff made it out to be, running in Dual Channel mode is generally considered better. To enable Dual Channel, RAM must be installed in "pairs" of like sticks. So if you are intent on adding more RAM, I would recommend you add another 8GB stick that has the same specifications as the currently installed stick.

Lastly, if you are adding RAM to increase performance because it has slowed down over time, I might suggest trying to figure out why first. Common causes of system slow downs include running low on free disk space. A crowded disk contributes to fragmentation which slows performance further. You might run Windows Disk Cleanup or CCleaner to clean out the clutter, then uninstall programs you installed that don't use. Then run Windows "Optimize Drives" feature to defrag your disk. Alternatively, if low on disk space, consider replacing the drive with a larger one, or better yet, a larger SSD.

Make sure system is clean of malware too, and of course, that Windows is fully updated.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 08-12-2017, 07:01 AM   #7
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team
Networking Team

Crucial guarantees their recommended RAM will work. I've never had them fail me yet and I've been using them for years.

Piriform's free version of Speecy will show you some details about your RAM. (Click RAM in the left column).
Old 08-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #8
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
Crucial guarantees their recommended RAM will work.
If you buy recommended RAM directly from them. While you can buy Crucial RAM cheaper elsewhere, I have found their prices to be very reasonable. That said, the key thing is to buy RAM with the same specs as suggested RAM.

Quote:
I've never had them fail me yet and I've been using them for years.
Same here.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:39 PM   #9
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I agree and prefer Crucial ram over most however in this case where the ram in your unit is still available that is the route I would take and I never like to mix speeds so if I went with Crucial I would choose 1600 model.
Here is your existing ram: https://www.amazon.com/ADATA-1600MHz...D3WAFTC0B&th=1

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
TSF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Bright View Post
Also, while "Dual Channel" memory architecture has not panned out to be the big performance boost initial marketing fluff made it out to be, running in Dual Channel mode is generally considered better. To enable Dual Channel, RAM must be installed in "pairs" of like sticks. So if you are intent on adding more RAM, I would recommend you add another 8GB stick that has the same specifications as the currently installed stick.
I've also read that it should be the same manufacturer. And even that they should be replaced in pairs when possible.

Comment?
Old 08-12-2017, 03:52 PM   #11
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confounded Also View Post
I've also read that it should be the same manufacturer. And even that they should be replaced in pairs when possible.

Comment?
Yes I agree completely.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:45 AM   #12
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:

Comment?
With a modern motherboard and modern RAM, this is no longer true.

Years ago and back in the day, RAM production was much less precise than it is today. So RAM makers actually tested every single stick coming off the production line and physically paired sticks that precisely matched each other, then packaged and sold them matched sticks as "real" Dual-Channel RAM.

Obviously, this was a time consuming and labor intensive process and originally, Dual-Channel RAM was more expensive because of that.

But as time advanced, the refining process to produce the raw materials used in RAM modules advanced significantly ensuring those materials were much more pure. At the same time, RAM stick production techniques became much more precise. This means that sticks coming off the production lines today easily and precisely adhere to production/model specifications.

These advances in memory manufacturing allowed manufacturers to cease manual testing and pairing of matched RAM because essentially ALL the RAM coming off the production line easily stayed within allowed tolerances.

This means that DDR4 3000 with 15-17-17-35 timings from Company ABC will precisely match the characteristics of DDR4 3000 with 15-17-17-35 timings from Company XYZ.

So today, when you see RAM sold as Dual Channel (or Triple Channel), that is just to cut costs in packaging, labeling and logistics for the maker. And for us consumers, it makes buying paired RAM easier, and less expensive than individual sticks. So a Win-Win. :)

Also at the same time, the memory managers/controllers used in processors and motherboards have advanced in sophistication and capabilities too. This allows those devices to much more easily force slightly dissimilar RAM to play well together.

So while most motherboard manuals "recommend" using the same brand, the key to ensure compatibility is to use RAM with the exact same specifications.

So that's the theory and I have successfully paired Corsair with Crucial, Kingston with G.Skill, GEIL, Mushkin and a host of others too with no problems.

HOWEVER - theory and real-world do not always see eye-to-eye so when possible, I always try to use the same maker and replace in pairs too. That said, replacing in pairs is often just out of necessity. For example, if the 2-slot board currently has 8GB with 2 x 4GB, you have to replace both sticks if you want bump up RAM to 16GB. So it just makes sense to buy manufacturer paired sticks.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:42 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-M View Post
I agree and prefer Crucial ram over most however in this case where the ram in your unit is still available that is the route I would take and I never like to mix speeds so if I went with Crucial I would choose 1600 model.
Here is your existing ram: https://www.amazon.com/ADATA-1600MHz...D3WAFTC0B&th=1
Thank you very much, i havent been able to find it.

Thank you everyone else for the input.
Closed Thread