Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

RAM Upgrade Advice

This is a discussion on RAM Upgrade Advice within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Here is the motherboard info first: Manufacturers : Pc Chips Model: P23G V.3.0 https://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.as...23GV30&eq=&Tp= Single-channel as far as I understand

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #1

Question

Here is the motherboard info first:

Manufacturers : Pc Chips
Model: P23G V.3.0
https://www.ascendtech.us/itemdesc.as...23GV30&eq=&Tp=

Single-channel as far as I understand

The thing is that I would like to buy 2 GB Dual Channel 2048MB PC2-4200 DDR2 Memory RAM NEW!

2GB Kit (2x1GB) PC2-4200 533MHz DDR2 Desktop DIMMs
Part No. MD2048KD2-533
https://www2.pny.com/2GB-Kit-2x1GB-PC...-P1765C31.aspx

Compatible With:
DDR2 PC2-4200 (533 MHz Bus Speed)
DDR2 PC2-3200 (400 MHz Bus Speed)

I am little bit confused about the dual channel mode, however, this motherboard understand doesn't support it?

But my question is no matter that the motherboard doesn't support it can I go ahead to buy them and will work anyway?

If yes, how I should put them in the slots because there are four two orange and two purple. "2 x 240-pin DDR2DIMM socket support up to 2 GB" but are the orange or purple ones? I don't know which ones are Both sticks should be put together on the same color? I am thinking that both should be put together in the orange slots which are DDR2 533Mhz but not sure, please take a look at the link that shows the motherboard specs. Honestly your response will be appreciated.

Otherwise, if they won't work in my motherboard please let me know before I make the purchase.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-03-2008, 11:15 PM   #2

If you look at the two different coloured Ram slots you will see a riser in them. The position of the riser facilitates the loading of the CORRECT Ram. You cannot insert a 184 pin ram chip into a 240 pin slot.
According to the specs you have listed your brd only takes 2 sticks of 1 gig ram = 2 gigs.
I have no experience with Intel, but with the brd specs you have indicated it would have to be Dual.
If you do buy and insert the new Ram , make sure not to touch the Gold pins on the Ram stick and earth yourself before inserting it.
Old 07-04-2008, 12:06 AM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via AIM to magnethead

the reason different ports are different colors is because of pairing. If you have 2 sticks, they go in the same colored slots. If you have an odd numbered number, 2 go in the same color and the third will usually go in the middle slot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2008, 11:51 AM   #4

Question

My concern is Can I go ahead and buy the RAM dual channel? no matter that the motherboard with Single Channel and doesn't support dual channel.

Does it matter if the memory description has "dual channel" and other not?

I will appreciate any reply
Old 07-05-2008, 08:31 PM   #5

can someone please help me on this decision?
Old 07-06-2008, 07:37 AM   #6

"Dual Channel Memory Mode" is a function of the motherboard. There is no such thing as Dual Channel Memory per se. There ARE dual channel kits, so called because 2 sticks were manufactured about the same time and/or have very similar operating characteristics. Some companies actually test and match similar sticks for their "Dual Channel Kits". The reason being that mismatched RAM in the same channel of a Dual Channel Memory Mode motherboard can cause problems. The dual channel kit should work fine in your Single Channel Memory Mode application if the brand/type is supported by your board.

It may be worthwhile to check the QVL list for memory on your motherboard's web page. Some manufacturers are better than others about updating the list of RAM which has been tested for a particular board. Another option would be to use the RAM 'configurator' located on your RAM of choice's website. OR, you could email your board's manufacturer and ask if the brand RAM you've chosen is compatable. Lastly you can cross your fingers and hope for the best.
Closed Thread