User Tag List

ram upgrade

This is a discussion on ram upgrade within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. so i wanna do somthing pretty crazy and upgrade my ram to 16 gb will 4 G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-10666CL7Q-16GBXH

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #1
Registered Member

Laugh

so i wanna do somthing pretty crazy and upgrade my ram to 16 gb will 4 G.Skill Ripjaws X F3-10666CL7Q-16GBXH work in my gigabyte GA-790FXTA-UD5

if not then suggestions? :3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
Registered Member

Why would you need 16GB ram? I've never used more than 3GB at once whilst playing games or using apps.
Old 09-17-2011, 06:31 AM   #3
Emeritus

There are no games and few apps that can utilize over 3GB of RAM.
Problems with 4GB sticks are not uncommon and filling all the RAM slots can cause Voltage issues.
Memory Standard for the GA-790FXTA-UD5 Mobo is DDR3 1866(OC)*/1333/1066
A 2X2GB matched pair of 1333 would be all that is needed for general use.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2011, 06:51 AM   #4
Registered Member

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyree View Post
There are no games and few apps that can utilize over 3GB of RAM.
Problems with 4GB sticks are not uncommon and filling all the RAM slots can cause Voltage issues.
Memory Standard for the GA-790FXTA-UD5 Mobo is DDR3 1866(OC)*/1333/1066
A 2X2GB matched pair of 1333 would be all that is needed for general use.
^^^Follow Tyree's advise. It's a waste, you don't need it unless for severe graphic designing or CAD programs. Games will not benefit.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:15 AM   #5
dai
TSF Team, Emeritus

agree with tyree

Old 09-19-2011, 10:38 PM   #6
Administrator
Manager, Microsoft Support
Acting Manager, Security
BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP

I'll leave the hardware end to the hardware experts here - the RAM, voltages, etc... Memory addressing is a different story.

The 4GB memory limit pertains to 32-bit (x86) apps and involves virtual memory addressing, not physical RAM available to a single app. With PAE, an x86 system's RAM is allocated 3GB user mode apps; 1GB reserved for kernel mode; if no PAE, then it 2 + 2 GB.

x86 apps running under an x64 OS are subject to x86 memory limitations (2^32). As others have mentioned, there are very few pure x64 apps that can actually utilize >4GB memory, as the majority of apps today are 32-bit.

The 3GB user mode RAM will NEVER be used by a typical single app these days, whether x64 or not. Windows takes care of memory management, loading those portions of an executing app into RAM, then unloading them.

My Windows 7 x64 system - 4 GB RAM
- total RAM = 4,160,468
- non-paged pool = 3,069,044
- paged pool = 134,217,728
- commit limit = 8,319,088 = combined limit of physical + virtual memory (virtual can expand if need be)

1.94 GB RAM in use, yet 331 MB free -
It's the sum total of the 62 processes running using ~49% of the 4 GB RAM, not any single app.

4GB RAM should be fine. If you were to go with 6 or 8 GB RAM - Windows would find a use for it. I myself have never seen a single app on my systems use more than ~750 MB RAM, except for a leaky IDT audio codec that consumed nearly 2 GB RAM after 6-8 hours post-boot. The driver developers fixed that in 2008.

Info on memory:

Memory Limits for Windows Releases

Pushing the Limits of Windows: Virtual Memory - Mark Russinovich - TechNet Blogs
Pushing the Limits of Windows: Paged and Nonpaged Pool - Mark Russinovich - TechNet Blogs
Pushing the Limits of Windows: Physical Memory - Mark Russinovich - TechNet Blogs

Bruce Sanderson's RAM, Virtual Memory, PageFile and all that stuff

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

`
Old 09-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #7
Visiting Tech

My System

Thank you jc, for joining in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgriff2
there are very few pure x64 apps that can actually utilize >4GB memory, but the majority of apps today are 32-bit.
There are 100s of 64-bit applications available today and the list just keeps growing. The software industry has seen the light and hears their users demanding their software catch up to their hardware's capabilities. As noted before, 77% of PCs sold at retail in April 2010 in the U.S. had a 64-bit edition of Windows 7 pre-installed.

While a single program using more than 4Gb may be a rare event, no one runs just one program at a time. Of special importance is the operating system itself, security programs, and major productivity software, such as Microsoft Office. None are miserly resource users (not to mention the possibility of multiple documents, spreadsheets, or databases being open at the same time too). And as Mark R notes, if running 64-bit OS, the OS will use the upper memory addresses, leaving nearly all of the below 4Gb addresses available to the 32-bit applications.

Quote:
4GB RAM should be fine.
The minimum system requirement for 32-bit Windows 7 is 1Gb of RAM, 2Gb for 64-bit, so yes, 4Gb "should be fine" - depending on your definition of "fine", However, "fine" may be satisfactory, it does not mean "optimal", nor does it imply no room for improvement. And for my money, I don't want "fine". I want the best bang for my buck. But, regardless, that is not the point here - or an answer to the OP's question - which is about 16Gb (which even I concede is overkill, for most users).

Thank you for including links to Mark R's article. I note he is CLEARLY in favor of 64-bit and lots of RAM. I note some of his comments,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Russinovich
The consumption of memory addresses below 4GB can be drastic on high-end gaming systems with large video cards. For example, I purchased one from a boutique gaming rig company that came with 4GB of RAM and two 1GB video cards. I hadn't specified the OS version and assumed that they'd put 64-bit Vista on it, but it came with the 32-bit version and as a result only 2.2GB of the memory was accessible by Windows.
Quote:
OEMs are (or at least should be) moving to 64-bit Windows where it's not an issue.

The bottom line is that you can fully utilize your system's memory (up the SKU's limit) with 64-bit Windows, regardless of the amount, and if you are purchasing a high end gaming system you should definitely ask the OEM to put 64-bit Windows on it at the factory.
Quote:
Because the address space on 64-bit Windows is much larger than 4GB, something Iíll describe shortly, Windows can give 32-bit processes the maximum 4GB that they can address and use the rest for the operating systemís virtual memory.
And finally, Mark says (my bold added),
Quote:
Out of CPU, memory and disk, memory is typically the most important for overall system performance. The more, the better. 64-bit Windows is the way to go to be sure that you're taking advantage of all of it
Toms Hardware - Gaming in 64-bit
Quote:
Conclusion:

...memory is cheaper than ever
...properly recognizing 4GB or more requires a 64-bit OS
...even 32-bit games with the large address aware flag can benefit from extra system memory
...the decision to go 64-bit should be an easy one.
Tom's Hardware, Memory Upgrade: Is It Time To Add More RAM?
Quote:
Conclusion and Recommendation

Based on our measurements and impressions (and taking falling prices into account), we thoroughly recommend a minimum RAM size of 8 GB.

Given our observations and low prices on memory upgrades, this is the time to hunt down a high-capacity memory kit for your system. In the end, itís never wrong to make a step knowing that it will improve performance and provide some reserves.
Note they used 4 x 4Gb modules on a MSI motherboard, fully populating all 4 slots with no reported problems.

Quote:
If you were to go with 6 or 8 GB RAM - Windows would find a use for it.
EXACTLY! Thank you! And, as I noted before, and confirmed by Mark Russinovich, if Windows is using the fast RAM instead of the page file on the slow hard disk, "overall system" performance is improved.

32-bit is phasing out and 64-bit is becoming the norm. That is just an undeniable, indisputable fact! We, as advisors, must NOT stick our heads in the sand and pretend we don't see it. RAM is getting cheaper and cheaper. Another indisputable fact. 64-bit operating systems will effectively use RAM above 4Gb. Therefore, when buying new, 64-bit Windows 7 and 6 - 8Gb of RAM should be our minimum recommendations - suggesting anything less is not doing anyone any favors. In fact, suggesting anything less severely limits "future proofing" their systems, and that, IMO, is a disservice when providing advice. We don't know, as providers, or as users, what our needs will be in 2 or 3 years. Purchases today should prepare us, as much as the budget allows, for the foreseeable future - not limit or even prevent us from meeting it.

I am still waiting for, and highly interested in reading ANY article, white paper, report - something - anything from a reliable source that corroborates the following claims:
  1. Problems with 4GB sticks are not uncommon
  2. Filling all the RAM slots can cause Voltage issues
I note once again, if true, either would be HUGE, catastrophic failures for the ENTIRE RAM manufacturing industry, and for the ENTIRE motherboard manufacturing and PC industry. They would be MAJOR, widely publicized and continuing news "events". Forums (especially the motherboard and RAM maker forums) across the Internet would be awash in angry complaints - especially with users trying to fully populate their boards. Where are these complaints? Where are the new articles? The bloggers? The review sites?

All my efforts to verify those claims have been in vain. So I ask again, please provide some supporting evidence.
Old 09-20-2011, 11:51 AM   #8
Administrator
Team Manager, Gaming
Team Manager, Microsoft Support
Team Manager, Hardware Team
Microsoft MVP

Depends on the search terms you use.
Quote:
WARNING: Populating every DIMM slot on SR-2 downclocks RAM
WARNING: Populating every DIMM slot on SR-2 downclocks RAM!

Corsair used to have a bulletin (AN806) posted but it is no longer available, basically as described in the link below often fully populating 4 slots leads to the ram running slower speeds on the older Intel setup with the memory controller on the motherboard it was not uncommon to have to bump the chip set voltage up provide enough to cover the extra sticks, this of course leads to heat/overheating problems, the Nvidia 690i boards in particular had a bad habit of over volting the chip set as well as the ram leading to
an early failure of many of them, ask any Dell XPS 7x0 owner.
Unpredictable results with QUAD2X4096 and Gigabyte X38-DS5 - The Corsair Support Forums

4 gig sticks are better now then they were a couple months back, again I'd call it growing pains on new tech, and yes the ram manufacturers have rma'd many of them.

And of course there was the Elpida ram chip issue from 2009(yes some of them are still around and failing)> Elpida memory deaths: the plot thickens- The Inquirer

And from Dell On Memory Configurations
Quote:
* The best memory bandwidth performance is a single UDIMM per memory channel
04-08-2009 - Nehalem and Memory Configurations - The Dell TechCenter

On my last Cad/Cata build i7 2600k, Fire Pro v5900, 16 gig ram, it will not run 1600 speeds with the slots fully populated, it will on 8 gig but not 16 gig with the applications it was built for ram quantity is more important than ram speed so running it at 1066 speeds is not a problem, however if this was a gaming PC build off the top of my head I can't think of more then a couple 64bit games on the market currently most are just 64bit compatible, with games ram speed is more important then quantity.

Bottom line is over 4gig you start to get diminishing returns most of the builds put together here on the forum are on a budget, that money would be better spent elsewhere in the build.
Old 09-21-2011, 03:10 AM   #9
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Send a message via MSN to linderman

not to mention; show me a screen shot of more than 3 gigs in use and please give the game doing it

we tried this task at the college computer rec center the only "practical" environment we could achieve more than 3 gigs was during video editing & auto cad rendering

getting to use 3 gigs of ram is a slew of games was difficult the circumstance in game was almost Armageddon like; certainly the apex just before the player was eliminated from the current level

some students did manage what I call useless memory expenditure with a 64 bit win 7; like running an intense database while gaming and rendering a dvd movie; but who really has a need to do this? I personally would not subject a valuable professional database to the possiblity of corruption due to a game crash or other software crash
Closed Thread