Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

RAM unusually high Windows 8.1

This is a discussion on RAM unusually high Windows 8.1 within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hiya! All of a sudden, my RAM usage is at 4GB+ on idle, even after a computer restart. In my

Closed Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 10:03 AM   #1
Registered Member

Hiya!

All of a sudden, my RAM usage is at 4GB+ on idle, even after a computer restart. In my task manager, if all programs are counted manually, they don't exceed 1.5GB, so why is it displaying 4GB+ as well as acting like it?

While playing a game and recording, it jumped to 10-11GB of RAM. This is not normal at all, I usually get 6-8GB usage while doing the same stuff.

This just happened suddenly while I was playing, I didn't just install anything.

I ran memtest last night for a different issue, and after 2 passes it didn't have any errors.

I have 16GB of DDR4 @ 2200Mhz.
As for the paging file, I've tried no paging file, automatic and system managed. All the same result.

Could anyone help me fix this problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2016, 10:49 AM   #2
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Generally, when there is high unaccounted CPU and or RAM useage, most of the time it's do to a Virus, rootkit or malware/spyware, unauthorized browser plugin or browser being hijacked.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:22 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

I think bassfisher is right here that kind of a jump is usually Malware related. Why not try running Malwarebytes and see what it finds.

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2016, 04:14 AM   #4
Registered Member

Thanks for the replies.

I've done all tests possible, as well as rootkit scans in all of my drives with Malwarebytes yet nothing was found whatsoever.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:29 AM   #5
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Try this one, it will find malware that's deeply embedded in a system. I have it and use it faithfully on systems that need thoroughly cleaned.

Norton Power Eraser.......it works and works well, it's a stand alone .exe.
Old 01-27-2016, 06:44 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Try this one, it will find malware that's deeply embedded in a system. I have it and use it faithfully on systems that need thoroughly cleaned.

Norton Power Eraser.......it works and works well, it's a stand alone .exe.
I ran it and it found one thing it marked as "Bad". I am familiar with this program (play withSix), as it's a popular mod downloader for Bohemia Interactive games. I removed it anyway and restarted my computer to be sure, but to no avail. I'm still having the issue.
Old 01-28-2016, 03:02 PM   #7
TSF Team, Emeritus

Post a screenshot of Task Manager - Performance tab showing memory information when the problem occurs.
Old 01-28-2016, 05:02 PM   #8
TSF Moderator
Hardware Team

Next...try running Adwcleaner......
Old 01-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #9
Hardware Team
Games Team

My System

Are you also counting "Standby" memory. This reserved RAM is also counted as Used RAM but can be released to any program on demand. Basically instead of Windows keeping commonly used program on the HDD or in Pagefile which is x1000 slower than RAM, it keeps it in the RAM. Makes sense..
This will not hamper your PCs performance in anyway in fact it will keep it fast.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:29 AM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
Post a screenshot of Task Manager - Performance tab showing memory information when the problem occurs.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:36 AM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassfisher6522 View Post
Next...try running Adwcleaner......
It removed "YSearchUtil" and restarted, but the issue is still there.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:49 AM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_Karlos View Post
Are you also counting "Standby" memory. This reserved RAM is also counted as Used RAM but can be released to any program on demand. Basically instead of Windows keeping commonly used program on the HDD or in Pagefile which is x1000 slower than RAM, it keeps it in the RAM. Makes sense..
This will not hamper your PCs performance in anyway in fact it will keep it fast.
As seen in the screenshot I've just posted, the non-paged pool is 1.3GB. After looking into it, it seems that this may be what's causing the problem if I'm not mistaken. Am I correct in saying it shouldn't be more than a few hundred megabytes and not 1.3GB unless it's a memory leak?
Old 01-29-2016, 10:39 AM   #13
TSF Team, Emeritus

The Non Paged pool memory is very high. Typically it would be less than the Paged Pool. This is usually caused by a driver problem or malware.

Standby memory has been placed in the standby list because it has not been recently accessed. It serves a dual role. It can be reclaimed by the owning application or it can be reassigned to any application that needs it. If the original application needs the data after it has been reassigned it will be reloaded from the original files or the pagefile as appropriate. This memory is not reserved and is considered available. Typically most of available memory will be on the standby list and that is good. Free memory should be as low as possible, zero being the optimum value. Unfortunately that isn't always possible.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:16 AM   #14
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

You could try tracking down the culprit using RAMMap: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/...ls/rammap.aspx

Sit back and watch the video first (make notes of timings so you can quickly zip back to the relevant parts): https://channel9.msdn.com/Shows/Defr...Tools-6-RAMMap
Old 01-29-2016, 01:00 PM   #15
Registered Member

On a side note, I'm having memory issues with a game I play a lot as well. See this thread: https://forums.bistudio.com/topic/18...-and-graphics/ .

Perhaps they do indeed have something to do with each other? However, they had about 2 weeks seperation between their starting dates.
Old 01-29-2016, 04:08 PM   #16
- Microsoft Support
BSOD Kernel Dump Analyst

My System

That gaming issue is a tricky one, following that paper trail to dig out useful info might be impossible, for instance, the "Display Driver has stopped responding and has recovered" topic is a 0x117 TDR, not directly related to yours I don't think, it's also a real challenge to fix, so many possible causes, so few workarounds :(
Old 02-10-2016, 03:24 PM   #17
Registered Member

Hiya! Just got back from vacation and my non-paged pool is now at 4.4GB on idle. I could not personally find anything with RAMMap.

At this point I'm willing to get in a teamviewer session with one of you so you can perhaps troubleshoot the issue with me.
Old 02-15-2016, 12:03 PM   #18
Registered Member

Try ADW Cleaner and Junk Removal Tool

Be sure to turn off your Anti-Virus before starting any of these. After they're finished, start your Anti-Virus and do a Cleanup (CCleaner or similar).
Old 02-22-2016, 09:23 AM   #19
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NenjiAvero View Post
Try ADW Cleaner and Junk Removal Tool

Be sure to turn off your Anti-Virus before starting any of these. After they're finished, start your Anti-Virus and do a Cleanup (CCleaner or similar).
I have done exactly what you wrote to still no avail.

Quote:
# AdwCleaner v5.031 - Logfile created 29/01/2016 at 18:07:59
# Updated 25/01/2016 by Xplode
# Database : 2016-01-25.3 [Server]
# Operating system : Windows 8.1 (x64)
# Username : Christopher - SKILLER-DESKTOP
# Running from : C:\Users\Christopher\Downloads\adwcleaner_5.031.exe
# Option : Scan
# Support : ToolsLib - Forum: Ask for help or share your experience.

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Folders ] *****

Folder Found : C:\Users\Christopher\AppData\Local\YSearchUtil
Folder Found : C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\YSearchUtil

***** [ Files ] *****

File Found : C:\Users\Christopher\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\hxxp_st.chatango.com_0.localstorage

***** [ DLL ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Scheduled tasks ] *****

Task Found : update-sys
Task Found : update-S-1-5-21-2141213125-1674639302-1041283074-1001
Task Found : update-S-1-5-21-2141213125-1674639302-1041283074-1001

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Found : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Google\Chrome\Extensions\npdicihegicnhaangkdmcgbjceoemeoo

***** [ Web browsers ] *****

[C:\Users\Christopher\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Secure Preferences] [Extension] Found : npdicihegicnhaangkdmcgbjceoemeoo

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S1].txt - [1299 bytes] ##########
Quote:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Malwarebytes
Version: 8.0.3 (02.09.2016)
Operating System: Windows 8.1 x64
Ran by Christopher (Administrator) on Mon 02/22/2016 at 18:07:17.65

File System: 1

Successfully deleted: C:\Users\Christopher\AppData\Local\crashrpt (Folder)

Registry: 0

Scan was completed on Mon 02/22/2016 at 18:08:06.25
End of JRT log
Old 02-28-2016, 06:53 AM   #20
Registered Member

Does anyone have anymore help they can give me? I'm getting desperate.
Closed Thread