Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

RAM problems because of my CPU?

This is a discussion on RAM problems because of my CPU? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Greetings! TL;DR: My BIOS can't use all of my RAM, but can see them. It's surprisingly most likely because of

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 10:32 AM   #1
Registered Member

Greetings!

TL;DR: My BIOS can't use all of my RAM, but can see them. It's surprisingly most likely because of my CPU.

I have some mystical ram problems, and I'm out of ideas.
First the story:

I had a sweet little config, like:
RAM: DDR3 Kingmax 4+2=6 giga 1333Mhz
VGA: GIGABYTE Radeon R7 260X
CPU: AMD Athlon II x2 250 300GHZ AM3 BOX
MB: ASUS M5A78L-M LE

The RAM modules were unmatched, but there was no problem, worked perfectly. Then I installed an FX-6300 CPU a few month ago. After that, I had to realize my computer only uses the ram module on the left side. If I put the 4GB to the left, than I have 4, if I put the 2GB in the left, than 2.

The tricky thing is, programs still can detect my second RAM module. HWinfo for example sees them perfectly. And even the Windows (win7 service pack1 64 bit) says: Installed memory (ram): 6GB (4GB useable).
The Memory Diagnostics Tool can't find a problem.
(I made a post about it in this forum, there was no solution: RAM (socket) problems - CNET PC hardware Forums)

I was like: OK it's time for a new motherboard anyway! So I bought an Asus sAM3+ M5A97 EVO R2.0. I installed everything in a new case, reinstalled the windows (8.1 64 bit). But the problem was still there, no change.

I was like: OK, it has to be because the unmatched RAMs! So I bought 2x4gb hyperx fury 1600mhz. But surprise: no difference. I see now 8GB (4GB useable).
I entered to the BIOS, to find any timing problems, but there was nothing. But here is an interesting point: even the BIOS itself tells me: "total memory: 4GB" BUT in the advanced menu I can see the memory moduls correctly. I even can change their speed, but the BIOS can only use one of them.

I searched the internet for two days, and can't find the solution.

Frequent proposals in similar cases:
1. Is your windows 64 bit? YES, but it's irrelevant, my BIOS has the problem, not the win.
2. BIOS is up to date? YES, but it's irrelevant, I changed the motherboard, and no difference.
3. The RAM works fine? YES, I use matched pairs, and tried 4 different modules.
4. Ram correctly installed to the MB? YES, I tried every combination on two motherboards, reinstalled the modules ~25 times.

All together: the only part of my PC, which wasn't changed (while the problem is active) is the AMD fx-6300 CPU. Is it possible? My CPU is broken, and can't use all the RAM sockets? Sounds strange, but it's my best idea after all.

Thanks for reading, plz help me, I'm totally lost! :/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2015, 08:18 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

My System

AMD Processors do not have the memory controller on board, that is housed in the Northbridge chip, although it may be called something else.
It is doubtful the Processor is the issue.
In HWinfo, are they detected as dual or single channel?
Old 05-31-2015, 11:25 PM   #3
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther063 View Post
AMD Processors do not have the memory controller on board, that is housed in the Northbridge chip, although it may be called something else.
It is doubtful the Processor is the issue.
In HWinfo, are they detected as dual or single channel?
Thanks for the information!

It works in single channel mode. Installed memory: 8GB (3,90 useable)

in the next week I going to install back my old CPU, that will be the final test. If it works, than the FX is guilty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2015, 06:04 AM   #4
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
AMD Processors do not have the memory controller on board
Ummm, sorry I think you are confused because actually, AMD was the first to integrate memory controllers on the CPU die nearly 15 years ago with their early Opteron series processors. The AMD Athlon 64 has had IMCs (integrated memory controllers) since 2003! And nearly all, if not all their CPUs have had IMCs since. In fact, AMD integrating the MC on the CPU to improve performance is a big reason AMD processors became the CPU of choice for gamers, leap-frogging over and embarrassing Intel back in the early 2000s.

The AMD FX-6300, as noted here and here has an IMC that supports 2 channels of DDR3-1866 with a maximum bandwidth of 29.9 GB/s.

Intel has been very slow at moving the MC off the chipset and only recently started using IMCs with their i3, i5, and i7 CPUs.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:43 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill_Bright View Post
Intel has been very slow at moving the MC off the chipset and only recently started using IMCs with their i3, i5, and i7 CPUs.
Thank you, I was confused regarding which camp had the built in controllers.
Fortunately as you say, they are all being built integrated now.
Old 06-02-2015, 07:41 AM   #6
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
Fortunately as you say, they are all being built integrated now.
Yeah, CPUs are becoming more and more integrated with integrated memory controllers, and more recently, graphics. Before long, the "computer on a chip" will be commonplace. We are already starting to see this is smart phones and other "embedded systems".
Old 06-04-2015, 12:38 PM   #7
Registered Member

There was a bended pin on the cpu, and that was the problem.
Closed Thread