User Tag List

ram problems

This is a discussion on ram problems within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. i have 2 gb of ram but my computer only reads 248 mb. and i want to install windows xp

Closed Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 07:39 PM   #1
Registered Member

i have 2 gb of ram but my computer only reads 248 mb. and i want to install windows xp but it wont let me can someone help me please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 07:42 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Boot into Setup (Bios) make sure the 2 GB of RAM is showing up there. Did you get RAM that was compatible with your motherboard? If you have an OS on the computer now and can boot up run the crucial system scanner to read your RAM and to tell you what type of RAM you have, and your upgrade options.
Old 11-22-2011, 05:12 AM   #3
TSF Team, Emeritus

My System

As Spunk mentioned if the RAM is not compatible with your machine it will not work.

E.g. ECC or not, Registered or not Buffered or not. Also the frequencies that the machine will allow example 4200 etc...

You might have installed un-compatible RAM

Virus Help
Ubuntu Live CD
PC Running Slow?
Memtest
UBCD
Remember dust buildup in your PC can be a killer!!
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange PC problems - No bios / maybe power issue?
Ok well i moved from Manchester to leeds - before that my pc was idle for 2 weeks and my mum moved it to put my room back to normal after my stay over summer. When i got home i set it all up - and pressed power - no bios showing on 2 monitors (at all) - the light stayed on orange (friends laptop...
Jamiekeese Windows XP Support 11 10-20-2011 09:33 AM
Strange PC problems - Seems to be RAM related.
Note: Info regarding why the ram seems to be the issue is towards the bottom (as it took me some time to find out this happened when i changed ram) Ok well i moved from Manchester to leeds - before that my pc was idle for 2 weeks and my mum moved it to put my room back to normal after my stay...
Jamiekeese RAM and Power Supply Support 12 10-19-2011 11:16 AM
ASUS M2N-MX board and ram questions
sorry about the old board, but ive yet to get a new pc. anywho ive got a question mainly concerning a few sets of ram ive looked at. i need to know if both sets im going to link or any of them would work with my motherboard. i have xp, so i know it won't support the full 4 gigs of ram, but i...
mindfray Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 5 07-31-2011 08:21 AM
CPU Slowing Down?
Hi all, Here's a puzzler that's got me stumped. I know it's a bit long-winded, so please be patient. If you're up for a challenge, it's worth it. I've been experiencing slowdowns on my Windows 7 Professional 64-bit SP 1 system. I've got a Quad-Core 2.4 GHz processor with 4 GB RAM and...
clamskipper Motherboards, Bios|UEFI & CPU 3 04-20-2011 09:31 AM
Help, Installed new RAM on MSI mother board
I had 1gb of RAM on the motherboard in one slot. I have two slots and installed another. Giving me 2 gb of RAM total. My motherboard specs say i should support 2 gb according to the manual. With 2 gb of RAM (1 old, 1 new), I plugged the computer back in and turned the power switch on. The...
spitfire04 RAM and Power Supply Support 17 04-16-2011 01:08 PM