Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

RAM only showing 48GB

This is a discussion on RAM only showing 48GB within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I went ahead and tested my ram with memtest 5.01. I have 8 DDR 3 DIMM modules that I bought

Closed Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I went ahead and tested my ram with memtest 5.01. I have 8 DDR 3 DIMM modules that I bought a few months ago. I did them two at a time, in slots A1 and B1 in the picture I've posted.

I hope you can see it well enough, I tried to post the one from photobucket but it's not finishing loading. So, I'm uploading it here directly. It doesn't appear you can zoom in on the photo, but I guess you could download it and zoom in with paint, or IRfanview, etc.

I did two passes on each, I only found one bad DIMM, could I not have done enough? I plan on doing a full 5 passes with all 7 DIMMS of my RAM inserted, even if it takes a few days.

That's what I estimate because usually every pass is three times as long as the one before it with the program, not sure why, guess the subsequent passes are more thorough.

The only thing is I put in all my DIMMS, I have an 8GB DDR 3 DIMM in every slot but C1, and it's showing 48GB's installed. I'm guessing the reason it's not showing the final one is either it won't show a module if it's inserted in a letter-2 slot alone, either that or I can't have an odd number of DIMMs installed, perhaps?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MBMempage1.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	322436  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 07:33 AM   #2
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Hard to tell why you only see 48GB. It seems you should see 56GB.

Are all the sticks the exact same? I note on page XV of your manual, it says, "Some hyper DIMMs only support one DIMM per channel."

You should be using MemTest86. The tester you used is old and obsolete, last updated way back in 2013. The one by PassMark is under constant development with the most recent update just last month.

And yes, multiple passes is best. I usually start the testing then go to bed.

It should also be noted that no software based memory tester is conclusive. If they find an error (even 1) the RAM is bad. But it is not uncommon for RAM to test good, but fails when in use, or when paired with other RAM.

To conclusively test your RAM, you need to use sophisticated and very expensive test equipment, like this $2,495 Memory Tester (and that's for the cheap model)! So it is usually easier (and cheaper!) to swap in known good RAM and see what happens.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 01-01-2019, 08:16 AM   #3
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

I'd have the seventh DIMM in slot C2, so that A2 remains the unoccupied slot. I would also test each DIMM individually in slot D1. You're not following the recommended DIMMs configuration as illustrated in the manual, why is that?! It my be tempting to take shortcuts and test in pairs to save time, but it's counterproductive in this case. Exercise patience and do the right thing for best results, starting with the updated Memtest86.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2019, 03:49 PM   #4
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stancestans View Post
I'd have the seventh DIMM in slot C2, so that A2 remains the unoccupied slot. I would also test each DIMM individually in slot D1. You're not following the recommended DIMMs configuration as illustrated in the manual, why is that?! It my be tempting to take shortcuts and test in pairs to save time, but it's counterproductive in this case. Exercise patience and do the right thing for best results, starting with the updated Memtest86.
Yes, I'll get that. I just recall something about not being able to boot from it if you don't have a UEFI bios. Which I found out I have. But, not sure if you'd need to boot from a USB flash drive, not sure how but I can find out.

I have already tested each one for two passes, two at a time, the reason I want all 7 in, instead of 8 is because I want to do a big test, all of them and see if all of them come out ok. If they do, then I'm pretty sure I have no bad RAM.
Old 01-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
To conclusively test your RAM, you need to use sophisticated and very expensive test equipment, like this $2,495 Memory Tester (and that's for the cheap model)!
I wonder why those are so expensive, it's too I couldn't just rent one, if that wouldn't be too expensive as well, say for a week.
Old 01-01-2019, 05:37 PM   #6
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Well, good news, for me! Two bits of it

1. I installed memtest V8.0 Free on a USB flash drive and WAS successfully able to boot from it.

2. I moved the DIMM in C2 to C1 and it now shows the full 56GB of RAM.

By the way, I'm very impressed with memtest86 8.0 (free edition), very fast. 50% pass in under 5 minutes!
Old 01-02-2019, 09:39 AM   #7
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I wonder why those are so expensive
For one, they are pretty sophisticated. But also, I suspect there just isn't the demand. It is much cheaper for shops to have spare RAM on hand to toss in to quickly test if the rest of the computer works fine or not.

Quote:
By the way, I'm very impressed with memtest86 8.0 (free edition)
Yeah, when PassMark took over, I was afraid they would let it go by the wayside and other memory testing programs have gone. But instead, they have stayed on top of it - fixing the rare bug and more importantly, adding support for the latest RAM types and functions.

Old 01-02-2019, 06:55 PM   #8
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Ok, so I went ahead and tested my 56GB's of RAM with MemtestFree V8.0. Here are two screenshots. The first one is a little hard to read because it is a little out of focus, but the important thing is it says on test 4 I had 1473 errors.

I expected perhaps some, but not that many, that with all DIMMS inserted which didn't come up with memtest 5.01

The second one is just a picture taken when the test finished, much more in focus, wasn't sure what was most important to post. Anyway, so you think I need to do a test with all of them with just one DIMM inserted per test? If I have to, I will. How many passes per test? The default with this version of memtest is 4, but I see you can adjust it.

By the way, my BIOS doesn't seem to have a way to shut down/a designated/specific shut down command, so what I was doing was changing the boot order to boot into windows instead, and shutting down from there. But, I heard it was ok, simply to power off your computer from the BIOS settings screen with the power off button, is that true?

Old 01-03-2019, 03:37 AM   #9
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PC person View Post
Ok, so I went ahead and tested my 56GB's of RAM with MemtestFree V8.0. Here are two screenshots. The first one is a little hard to read because it is a little out of focus, but the important thing is it says on test 4 I had 1473 errors.

I expected perhaps some, but not that many, that with all DIMMS inserted which didn't come up with memtest 5.01
When it comes to non-ECC memory, the desired result is ZERO errors. Not a few, not one, but zero. Anything other than zero is unacceptable!

Quote:
...you think I need to do a test with all of them with just one DIMM inserted per test? If I have to, I will. How many passes per test? The default with this version of memtest is 4, but I see you can adjust it.
Testing each DIMM individually is simply the best way of identifying the offending one. I don't understand the hesitation in doing so IF your goal is to determine whether you have bad memory. In my experience, I've never had to run more than one pass to catch errors. A faulty DIMM will throw errors right during the first pass. As soon as an error is caught, there's no point in letting it continue with the tests. Stop the test right there and then, turn off the PC simply by holding the power button (it is safe to do so since the memtest program is running from memory and no data is being written to local storage), unplug its power cable, remove the DIMM and set it aside as BAD. Like I said, a single error is enough to write off a DIMM. One non-correctable error is all it takes to crash the PC... You should get absolutely zero errors on all 13 tests (1 pass) on each GOOD DIMM. IF you get even just one error, that DIMM is bad and should be set aside and treated as such. Once you've tested ALL DIMMs individually, you should have them sorted into GOOD and BAD. Insert ALL the GOOD ones as per the recommended DIMM configurations (ask if not sure) and run a test. You should get zero errors on ALL 13 tests (one pass). At this stage, you can let it do the 4 passes or adjust it for indefinite passes and let it run overnight if you so wish. Again, i've never had to run more than one pass to register errors, but some people believe an overnight run is more thorough, mostly because of the possibility of some DIMMs throwing errors when heated up beyond the acceptable operating temperature range (an overheating DIMM is bad too), but this could be caused by other external factors, so running it for extended periods may be necessary to really put them to the test and assess their stability during long operating periods.

Quote:
By the way, my BIOS doesn't seem to have a way to shut down/a designated/specific shut down command, so what I was doing was changing the boot order to boot into windows instead, and shutting down from there. But, I heard it was ok, simply to power off your computer from the BIOS settings screen with the power off button, is that true?
Yes, that's true.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:22 AM   #10
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I expected perhaps some, but not that many.
You expected some?

Quote:
When it comes to non-ECC memory, the desired result is ZERO errors. Not a few, not one, but zero. Anything other than zero is unacceptable!
I agree - but that applies to ECC memory too. ZERO errors. Period.

As for running 1 pass only, I also agree that is typically all you need. However, I have had RAM pass on the first pass then fail on subsequent passes. I suspect this was due to heat buildup after running for a couple passes, as you suggested. But it was not due to operating beyond the "acceptable" operating range (I take case cooling seriously). But rather, an IC on the stick was faulty and could no longer tolerate even elevated temperatures that were still within the published acceptable range.

But again, I have also had RAM sticks pass all sticks individually, then fail when running the actual OS or when paired with other sticks. So while PassMark's MemTest86 is good, it is not conclusive. If any errors (even 1) are reported, the stick is bad. But bad sticks may still pass even the most rigorous of testing. That takes us back to swapping in known good sticks to see what happens.

But in your case, you got errors. You got some bad RAM.

Old 01-03-2019, 06:51 PM   #11
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Fortunately, all 8 DIMMS I bought are under warranty, though not sure what happens if some go bad a second time, or more times than that.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:53 PM   #12
TSF Enthusiast

My System

This time I ran 8 passes and no errors at all. Also, I haven't had a memory blue screen since I took out that bad DIMM of 8GB of ram. Does memtest ever produce false positives?

Old 02-06-2019, 09:10 PM   #13
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
This time I ran 8 passes and no errors at all. Also, I haven't had a memory blue screen since I took out that bad DIMM of 8GB of ram. Does memtest ever produce false positives?

It can IF you mix brands or different models of DIMM modules or if you force unsupported memory profiles or unstable overclocking parameters. You should forget and let go of that bad DIMM and get a replacement if you must have 64GB. Hanging on to it hoping for some miracle won't do you any good. Having isolated the bad module, you're now getting zero errors AS IT SHOULD BE. If you wanna waste any more time on that bad module, that's your call. If you're hoping there's a way of reviving the bad module, there isn't. There's no software or tweak or setting you can changed to make bad ram work. Since it's under warranty, RMA it.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:01 PM   #14
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
It can IF you mix brands or different models of DIMM modules or if you force unsupported memory profiles or unstable overclocking parameters. You should forget and let go of that bad DIMM and get a replacement if you must have 64GB. Hanging on to it hoping for some miracle won't do you any good. Having isolated the bad module, you're now getting zero errors AS IT SHOULD BE. If you wanna waste any more time on that bad module, that's your call. If you're hoping there's a way of reviving the bad module, there isn't. There's no software or tweak or setting you can changed to make bad ram work. Since it's under warranty, RMA it.
Yes, I know there's no way to fix that bad DIMM, but really what I was asking is if I should test the others since I previously had errors with them, when I did a test of them all (with the same 56GB I have in now)
Old 02-07-2019, 08:04 PM   #15
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Yes, I know there's no way to fix that bad DIMM, but really what I was asking is if I should test the others since I previously had errors with them, when I did a test of them all (with the same 56GB I have in now)
We've been through this already and I'm sure I've said it more than once that you SHOULD test each module and sort them as good or bad. That should have been the method used to identify the bad DIMM! If you've already tested each one, and only one failed the tests, which others are you talking about? Didn't you have 8 modules of 8GB each? Is there a different set in question here? You have 7 modules installed now, totalling 56GB, after testing each of the 8 modules and ending up with a single bad one, right?
Old 02-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #16
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
We've been through this already and I'm sure I've said it more than once that you SHOULD test each module and sort them as good or bad. That should have been the method used to identify the bad DIMM! If you've already tested each one, and only one failed the tests, which others are you talking about? Didn't you have 8 modules of 8GB each? Is there a different set in question here? You have 7 modules installed now, totalling 56GB, after testing each of the 8 modules and ending up with a single bad one, right?
No, I tested the remaining 7 (in post 8, bottom picture) and found some bad ones, and when I tested them all 7 again in post 12 (8 passes, I got no errors at all)
Old 02-13-2019, 10:01 PM   #17
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
No, I tested the remaining 7 (in post 8, bottom picture) and found some bad ones, and when I tested them all 7 again in post 12 (8 passes, I got no errors at all)
In that case run an overnight test of all 7 DIMMs. If any of them starts crapping out during the long test, you'll get errors. If the 7 report no errors during the long test, use your pc as usual going forward. If you experience crashes, post in the BSOD section to have them investigated to determine whether they are memory related or not.
Old 02-18-2019, 07:14 PM   #18
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I went ahead and tests all 7 DIMMS in slot D1 (6th one from the left in my first post) one at a time, 4 passes on each. They all passed. I don't know why I was getting errors when I tested the same 7 all at once, but I'm through with it. I haven't had any BSOD's or memory errors since I took out that one bad DIMM. I'm going to assume they are ok and if I get further errors I'll test them all again, and I'll get a replacement for that bad DIMM.

I suppose you can mark this thread as solved.
Old 02-19-2019, 06:09 AM   #19
Visiting Tech

My System

Quote:
I don't know why I was getting errors when I tested the same 7 all at once, but I'm through with it.
As noted a couple times above, software based testing is not conclusive and it is not uncommon for RAM to pass testing, but still fail when put in real-world use, or when paired with other RAM.

If you get more errors, you might try testing in pairs. Through a process of elimination, you might then be able to narrow it down to the culprit. But it will take some time - so "patience Grasshopper".

Old 02-20-2019, 04:28 AM   #20
Registered Member

lol, you have huge RAM
Closed Thread