Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Ram not recognized in Linux Mint

This is a discussion on Ram not recognized in Linux Mint within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hello Technical Support, I have a Sony Vaio PCG FRV26 that is about 13 years old with Linux Mint 17

Closed Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 12:25 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hello Technical Support,

I have a Sony Vaio PCG FRV26 that is about 13 years old with Linux Mint 17 loaded (orriginal Xp OS was erased from the hard drive). It came with 512mb RAM (2 x 256). I installed 2 x 1Gig ram chips (2gigs total). It will only recognize 1gig between the two chips. I tried to replace one chip with a 256mb chip and then it showed 768 mb of RAM (with some borrowed for the graphics). I reversed the chips with the same result.

Is there a way I can modify the RAM library to recognize the 2gigs of RAM. I have been unable to flash the BIOS and have tried other options but to no avail. I am not sure if this is a hardware issue or an OS issue. When I have looked up the technical data sheets for the laptop it does indicate that it is capable of being upgraded to 2gigs.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly apprecieated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2016, 06:38 PM   #2
Registered Member

My System

Hi,

Max. RAM supported by Sony Vaio PCG FRV26 is 1 GB.
https://docs.sony.com/release//specs/PCGFRV26_mksp.pdf
Closed Thread

Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Linux mint and PC
Hi all. I recently installed Linux for first time on my PC. Distro is Mint 16 Petra. It looks quite good and feels same, but there's one thing that bugs me. Sometimes it seems like Linux don't make good use of my hardware (look at my specs) and seems sluggish. I also looked into football...
Natsuke Linux Support 5 12-19-2013 03:13 PM
[SOLVED] RAM Upgrade, Slot 1, 2GB DDR2 not Recognized
I just installed a matched set of PNY 2GB DDR2 RAM cards into my Acer Aspire 5535. I have even switched out the 2 RAM cards once. However, only Slot 2 RAM is recognized after Restart. I checked BIOS and it confirms only Slot 2, 2GB card is detected. Never used RAM Slot 1 before so I don't know if...
AcerUser2012 RAM and Power Supply Support 8 02-08-2013 08:31 AM
[SOLVED] Computer unbelievably slow, will more RAM fix it?
My computer is extremely, extremely slow, for example opening the Windows Calculator can take 30 or more seconds, so just imagine how slow doing actual work is. When I built the computer I intentionally built it with too little RAM to save money to upgrade it later which I still have never done....
aab1 RAM and Power Supply Support 24 07-01-2011 01:07 AM
Selecting RAM for your Laptop
Introduction: The type of RAM a laptop takes can usually be determined by what processor it has. The processor is always easy to tell, to find out, download a free utility called PC Wizard. This utility will tell you your information about your computer, including your CPU and its model number....
TheMatt Laptop Support 1 11-26-2006 11:25 AM