Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

RAM not recognized in BIOS/ nor does boot-up

This is a discussion on RAM not recognized in BIOS/ nor does boot-up within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Greetings ! I humbly ask for your help, masters of the PCs ! I have a dire situation which I

Closed Thread

Old 11-08-2016, 03:59 PM   #1
Registered Member

Greetings !

I humbly ask for your help, masters of the PCs ! I have a dire situation which I don't know how to fix it. I consider myself a little expert of the PCs, but this problem is over me and I tried everything in my power and knowledge, with no solution.

My problem is this : I decided to upgrade my old rig, and I bought a pair of 2 x 4GB RAM DDR2 800mhz from Kingston. (code KVR800D2N6/4G). And the PC won't boot up.

My motherboard is ASrock G31M GS R2.0 (ASRock > G31M-GS R2.0).
On the site and manual, it's written it supports 8GB RAM.
Also, on the memory QVL (https://www.asrock.com/mb/memory/G31M-GS%20R2.0.pdf), it's written that my memory, the kingston code above, has been TESTED and WORKING on this motherboard !!!

Let me clarify some things first :
- BIOS is already last version available (1.90)
- I tried every slot, with each ram individualy, then together, switched slots between them, same result, it won't boot-up
- before each ram test in each slot, I cleared CMOS, everytime
- there are no bent pins, at all, not on ram pins, not on CPU pins
- I even changed CPUs, first with an E4500 core2duo, then with an Q9650 core2quad, same result, it won't boot-up
- I even tried a primitive solution, to "rub" the rams with a...pencil brush ?, I think it's called in english, to neutralise the electricity in them, no change

But the PC boots up when I use my old ram combined with the new one. But in BIOS, this is the funny part, it recognizes the new ram, it shows "2MB DDR2 333". 2MB out of 4GB !! So total memory shows, 1x2048 + 1x2 = 2050 total physical memory.
In windows, it shows 2GB, so it doesn't recognize the new ram. BUT, oddly, CPU-Z recognizes the new stick, it shows Kingston 4096MB, with all specs.

So after this point, I tried these :
- Memory remapping ENABLED, no change
- Flexibility options ENABLED (which allows better memory tolerance as described in info box), no change
- Tried changing frequency from 667mhz to 800, no change
- All these 3 combined, no change
- I tired to set the memory timings manual, since auto does not work, 5-5-5-15, then 6-6-6-15 (can't go over 15), no change
- I even overclocked the ram, from 1.8V to 2.2V (not at once, raising 0.05V each time), I thought maybe they wish more power, no change
- raised the VTT, from 1.2V to 1.4V (again, not all at once), no change
- raised the NB from 1.3V to 1.35V (can't raise it more than this), no change

I stand here, with no options left, I don't know what to try next. My only theory is, the rams are high-density ones and ASrock ********ed me (us) and they don't work on this motherboard. Please feel free to offer any suggestion, I am willing to try/ test, I kinda need the 8GB RAM nowadays, and DDR2 2x4GB is very expensive and hard to find.

Sorry for any mistypes I've done, I am dead-tired, wrote this at midnight.
Thank you for reading and waiting your oppinions !

PS: the computer on my profile is not my actual computer, I haven't updated my stats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2016, 11:49 PM   #2
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Your motherboard's chipset (memory controller) supports a maximum of 4GB DDR2 667/800 memory and two channels as indicated here (Intel® 82G31 Graphics and Memory Controller) Specifications. The 8GB support stated on your mobo's webpage is therefore incorrect and most likely hasn't been updated in a very long time (since 2009).
Old 11-09-2016, 03:15 AM   #3
Registered Member

OK, makes sense. As I thought, ASrock f***ed me with wrong information. (though they mention that several 4GB sticks of different brands were tested and work in dual-channel mode, as described in memory QVL).

But I don't get one thing. If it's true that my intel chipset is not reading more than 4GB, why then it does not boot at least with 1 stick ? 1 stick of the new ram is 4GB, it should boot up and be read in BIOS, right ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2016, 05:02 AM   #4
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manupainkiller View Post
I don't get one thing. If it's true that my intel chipset is not reading more than 4GB, why then it does not boot at least with 1 stick ? 1 stick of the new ram is 4GB, it should boot up and be read in BIOS, right ?
Not necessarily. Normally, the maximum amount of memory supported by a motherboard/chipset/memory controller is divided equally among the maximum number of channels supported and in extension the number of slots on the board. So, 4GB maximum and 2 channels maximum = 2GB per channel. If the board has 2 channels and 2 slots then each channel has exactly one slot, hence 1 slot = 2GB maximum. In such a case, the system will not run on a 4GB stick installed in one slot, but will run 4GB memory if 2GB sticks are installed in both channels (dual channel config).
Old 11-09-2016, 05:42 AM   #5
Registered Member

I see.

But what about the reading part, when using 1 stick old ram with 1 stick new ram, can you explain to me, please, why does it read "2MB" out of 4096MB ? If the memory is incompatible with my motherboard, it shouldn't be read at all, right ? Like, appear an empthy slot.
Old 11-09-2016, 05:52 AM   #6
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
I see.

But what about the reading part, when using 1 stick old ram with 1 stick new ram, can you explain to me, please, why does it read "2MB" out of 4096MB ? If the memory is incompatible with my motherboard, it shouldn't be read at all, right ? Like, appear an empthy slot.
I can't really tell how a motherboard is designed to handle incompatible RAM or how it behaves in such a case. All I know is that it won't work with it, even if it somehow detects the installed modules (in)correctly. In other words, the module being detected by the system does not mean it will work with it, as it usually happens with 32-bit OS and 4GB+ RAM.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:19 AM   #7
Registered Member

I see.

However, let's suppose, by absurd, that somehow, ASrock didn't lie to us and it was actually tested and 2x4GB is actually working. On a fantasy level. Can you suggest me something that I haven't tried already, to make it work ? A special setting, something ? A certain memory timing ?

It's a fool's quest, by I simply cannot accept the fact that ASrock lied so big, first with 8GB max memory, and second, with many 4GB sticks being tested and working. I keep thinking, maybe, I am doing something wrong.

Would a reinstall of BIOS (I have 1.90, latest) and reinstall it again, make things working, perhaps ?

I see this exceeds your "duty", as you already helped me and gave me the right answer to this thread, but please, I need your expertise a little more ! :D

Thank you !
Old 11-10-2016, 01:11 PM   #8
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
I see.

However, let's suppose, by absurd, that somehow, ASrock didn't lie to us and it was actually tested and 2x4GB is actually working. On a fantasy level. Can you suggest me something that I haven't tried already, to make it work ? A special setting, something ? A certain memory timing ?

It's a fool's quest, by I simply cannot accept the fact that ASrock lied so big, first with 8GB max memory, and second, with many 4GB sticks being tested and working. I keep thinking, maybe, I am doing something wrong.

Would a reinstall of BIOS (I have 1.90, latest) and reinstall it again, make things working, perhaps ?

I see this exceeds your "duty", as you already helped me and gave me the right answer to this thread, but please, I need your expertise a little more ! :D

Thank you !
I am not aware of any settings that you could tweak in BIOS to get the 4GB memory sticks to work. The existence of such a setting implies that the system would somehow POST successfully (with incompatible/wrongly configured 4GB memory?) in order for you to enter BIOS and make changes that would make those modules work . Sounds absurd, right? In my experience, good and compatible modules ought to simply work with default BIOS settings. The PC must pass POST before you can enter BIOS to make changes, and good, working memory is required for a successful POST.

Let's assume Intel is lying about the G31 chipset not supporting more than 4GB ram on two channels and that ASrock wasn't lying about the 4GB sticks being compatible, you may have possibly bought bad modules. If you could test those 4GB sticks on a compatible system and confirm they are indeed OK, that will rule out the very real possibility of them being faulty.
Old 11-11-2016, 05:48 AM   #9
Registered Member

I can enter in BIOS with the old ram > make the "necessary changes" for the new rams > save > shut down > change old rams with the new ones without resetting CMOS, that way the changes I've made for the new rams will stay. I will get the BIOS posting, don't you worry. :)

I tested yesterday at a friend the new rams, they are working, both individually and in dual-channel mode.

PS : the part with the INTEL lying got me laughing. That was actually a good joke ! :D
Old 11-17-2016, 05:16 AM   #10
Registered Member

I see you haven't replied, which is fine, you already answered many of my questions, including the thread question itself, and I will mark this as solved. Thank you so much for your time and support.

Can you answer one more question for me ? The last one, which intrigues me and I google this for 2 hours straight without finding any solid information, it seems nobody know this.

What is "DRAM RCOMP" setting in BIOS ? I really google this and came with nothing. If I set this to manual, it oppens like, 8 settings that can be set with some numbers (mostly, range like 33-168) I think.

Thank you !
Old 11-17-2016, 09:22 PM   #11
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
I see you haven't replied, which is fine, you already answered many of my questions, including the thread question itself, and I will mark this as solved. Thank you so much for your time and support.

Can you answer one more question for me ? The last one, which intrigues me and I google this for 2 hours straight without finding any solid information, it seems nobody know this.

What is "DRAM RCOMP" setting in BIOS ? I really google this and came with nothing. If I set this to manual, it oppens like, 8 settings that can be set with some numbers (mostly, range like 33-168) I think.

Thank you !
That setting seems to be mentioned a lot in overclocking forums, but there isn't much info to go with, not even on manuals for ASRock boards. Like other overclocking parameters, they won't make a system work with incompatible components. Before you can manually change such settings, the system should be running with default values (auto) just fine. The fact that the QVL completely overlooks the chipset of the board (memory controller) and the maximum memory supported makes me question how much testing is actually done. It's not the first thread I'm seeing QVL listed memory refusing to work with a supposedly compatible board.

Back in the days the memory controller was on the board (chipset), but these days the memory controller is on the CPU itself. Unfortunately, the Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad processors do not have the memory controller on them and they rely on the one on the motherboard. I'm not sure you'll find a newer generation of processors that have the memory controller on them for your LGA775 socket mobo, and even if you do, I can't say for sure which memory controller will be in use (onboard or the CPU's). This may turn out to be quite an expensive venture. You may wanna find a newer motherboard that supports your processors and 8GB memory modules (take note of the chipset/memory controller's capability).
Old 11-17-2016, 10:02 PM   #12
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003B...AGGMQ9M49NFXPP is a start.
Old 11-19-2016, 06:12 AM   #13
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

I note you list your OS as Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit. Do understand you must use a 64-bit OS to utilize more than 4GB of RAM.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 11-21-2016, 04:17 AM   #14
Registered Member

To @Stancestans :

Thank you sir, but I am done with ASrock. I will, never, buy something from ASrock (or Marvell) ever again. The memory limit lie, and then, QVL memory testing ? F*** them, added to blacklist. Even on Kingston website, they don't feature 4GB sticks to work on this piece of crap motherboard I have !

Also, I didn't know about the memory controller being on the CPU, thanks for letting me now. I never thought it can be.

Thank you again for all the support you gave me ! I would offer you a beer or something, but I am afraid that the distance is great between us. :D

To @Bill_Bright :

I am sorry, I was too lazy to update my account with my 2016 rig, that info is 2009 old. I am using Windows 10 64bit Enterprise, up-to-date.
I edited my rig now, it is shown correctly what I am using now.

But I don't think it's an windows issue, maybe I am wrong, but since the sticks aren't fully read in BIOS, I doubt they would be read in windows, regardless of my OS.
Old 11-21-2016, 06:37 AM   #15
Visiting Tech

Microsoft Most Valuable Professional

My System

Quote:
(or Marvell) ever again.
You may not have a choice there. But as noted, in recent years the memory controller has moved onto the CPU die itself.

Quote:
but since the sticks aren't fully read in BIOS, I doubt they would be read in windows, regardless of my OS.
This is true.

Sadly it is not uncommon for a RAM stick to test good with a memory tester, and run just fine by itself, then fail when used in real world applications or when paired with another stick. Still, you might try testing your RAM with MemTest86. Allow the diagnostics to run for several passes or even overnight. You should have no reported errors – not even one. If there are any reported errors, the RAM is bad.

Note, however, that software based RAM diagnostic tools are good, but none are conclusive. I would typically say here to try running with just a single RAM module to see if it fails - but you already tried that. In any case, be sure to unplug the computer from the wall and touch bare metal of the case interior BEFORE reaching in or touching any RAM to discharge any destructive static in your body.

Sadly, to conclusively test your RAM, you need to use sophisticated and very expensive test equipment, like this $4,400 RAMCheck LX Memory Tester.

Quote:
I even tried a primitive solution, to "rub" the rams with a...pencil brush ?, I think it's called in english, to neutralise the electricity in them, no change
It is called an "eraser" in America, "rubber" in the Queen's English. And you do that to clean the electrical contacts of dirt, grime and corrosion/tarnish to provide a good "mechanical" contact - always a prerequisite for a good "electrical" contact. It is not to neutralize the electricity - that is done when all power is removed from the motherboard. The only electricity you need to worry about when the RAM is out of the computer is static from your fingers if you failed to discharge yourself by touching bare metal of the case interior before grabbing the RAM - a very bad thing.

Heat is the bane of all electronics!

───────────────────────────
Old 11-22-2016, 10:20 AM   #16
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
To @Stancestans :

Thank you sir, but I am done with ASrock. I will, never, buy something from ASrock (or Marvell) ever again. The memory limit lie, and then, QVL memory testing ? F*** them, added to blacklist. Even on Kingston website, they don't feature 4GB sticks to work on this piece of crap motherboard I have !

Also, I didn't know about the memory controller being on the CPU, thanks for letting me now. I never thought it can be.

Thank you again for all the support you gave me ! I would offer you a beer or something, but I am afraid that the distance is great between us. :D
Thanks to the Internet, that beer is only a smiley away
You are welcome! Cheers
Old 11-24-2016, 04:41 AM   #17
Registered Member

Yes sir, "eraser" was the word I wanted to use and didn't come into my mind ! :D

Also, I always discharge myself before tounching any of the PC's components.

Memtest shows, no errors.

I am giving up on this, I guess I will have to stick with 4GB ram until I will buy another PC.

Thank you again for all the support !
Old 11-26-2016, 02:52 AM   #18
Moderator TSF
Hardware Team Moderator

Quote:
I guess I will have to stick with 4GB ram until I will buy another PC.

Thank you again for all the support !
Upgrading to the latest or newer hardware is the smart thing to do. I'm guessing the kind of applications that you intend to run on 8GB memory would benefit from a processor upgrade as well, so trying to upgrade your almost a decade-old setup may not be such a wise thing to do, plus you could really benefit from today's energy efficient and more powerful technology.
Closed Thread