Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

ram keeps disappearing

This is a discussion on ram keeps disappearing within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Hi again. I am actually trying to help a friend with his dell inspiron 5100. I have done various tweaks

Closed Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 03:40 AM   #1

Hi again. I am actually trying to help a friend with his dell inspiron 5100. I have done various tweaks etc... to help get the performance up. I mentioned to him that he shld try upgrading his RAM as a relatively inexpensive way of speeding up. I used CPUID to check that he was running one 256 chip. Upon opening the comp there are two chips one slightly out of the socket so pushed it in and voila 512 good enough. However every time i restart the comp it only works for 1 go at 512 and then goes back to regitering one chip at 256. If i open the back and put the chips in and out again the next boot will show 512 but subsequent starts show 256. The chips are paired by the same manfc. I believe they are what came in the comp originally. Is there anyway to fix this problem so he doesn't have put the chips in and out every time and what is causing it ? There are no errors when the 512 registers in fact everything runs a lot better. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
Emeritus

Are the Ram slot clips staying locked down?
Try each stick in each Mobo slot.
Do you have any other RAM to try?
Run Memtest one one stick at a time.
https://www.memtest.org/

Closed Thread