Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Ram issue with memtest results

This is a discussion on Ram issue with memtest results within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. My computer likes to bsod on me and shut down whenever I try to run any video game (Empire total

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 10:18 PM   #1

My computer likes to bsod on me and shut down whenever I try to run any video game (Empire total war, deus ex: invisible war etc.). So I know this can't be an overheating problem because I have a lot of fans to take the heat out. And it can't be a power supply problem because my computer can run for days without it crashing.

So I ran memtest and it crashed and rebooted and crashed and so on. Then I used only 1 stick and disabled legacy usb in the bios (like memtest faq told me to. But now I want to re-enable it but my keyboard isn't working until windows starts)

Anyways here are some pictures with the memory in slot 0.

Now I moved the same memory into slot 1 (it says slot 0 in memtest but it doesn't matter) and tested it again.

Only thing that is currently hooked up to my system is:

PSU
Video card:can't take this out because my mobo doesn't have a graphics card built in
dvd writer: Doesn't have any ram / couldn't be the cuase of my problems
hard drive

Here is the list of all my computer parts that are only 4-6 months old.
https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/Pu...umber=15128587

Any ideas on what i should do?

also: My ram is running at a lower speed(400Mhz) rather then (533MHz), even though I tried changing it in bios it just made my computer crash when its idle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2009, 10:31 PM   #2
Enthusiast

My System

according to asus website the slowest ram your motherboard can take is 667 so this is your reason you need to get ram that is compatible with the motherboard.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:08 PM   #3
TSF Enthusiast

My System

From the test results the stick is bad.

Did you test the other stick?

According to the ASUS QVL your memory Patriot Viper 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model PVS24G8500ELKN - is not listed

The QVL listing should be in your owners manual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2009, 12:34 AM   #4

Yea the other stick is the same. And I didn't know that QVL mattered that much that it would be causing problems.

Also greenbrucelee the ram is supposed to be ddr2 1066 but for some reason the motherboard doesn't want to run it at full speed.

So if I get this type of ram G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail my system should be able to finally play games without crashing?

edit: Also what should I do with my current ram that isn't working?
Old 09-30-2009, 06:03 AM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

I would be looking for DDR2 1200:
Quote:
Memory 4 x DIMM, max. 16GB, DDR2 1200/1066/800/667MHz, non-ECC, un-buffered memory
Dual channel memory architecture
*Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL(Qualified Vendors Lists)
**When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, Windows® 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended

Dual-Channel DDR2 1200
The motherboard supports DDR2 memory that features data transfer rates of 1200/1066/800/667 MHz to meet the higher bandwidth requirements of the latest operation system, 3D graphics, multimedia, and Internet applications. The dual-channel DDR2 architecture doubles the bandwidth of your system memory to boost system performance, eliminating bottlenecks with peak bandwidths of up to 19.2GB/s.

I would contact NewEgg or Patriot and see what they say.
The memory carries a Lifetime warranty
Old 09-30-2009, 09:46 AM   #6
Enthusiast

My System

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowwoelf View Post
Yea the other stick is the same. And I didn't know that QVL mattered that much that it would be causing problems.

Also greenbrucelee the ram is supposed to be ddr2 1066 but for some reason the motherboard doesn't want to run it at full speed.

So if I get this type of ram G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - Retail my system should be able to finally play games without crashing?

edit: Also what should I do with my current ram that isn't working?
there should be a setting in the BIOS called DRAM frequency if you put supported ram in you will be able to change the speed there.

In my experience with asus boards they default the ram to 667 or 800MHz even though you can put faster ram in and you have to manually change it in the dram frequency option.
Closed Thread