Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

RAM issue?

This is a discussion on RAM issue? within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I recently took up repairing an old Dell Dimension e510 I had sitting around to give to a younger relative.

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2016, 11:40 AM   #1
Registered Member

I recently took up repairing an old Dell Dimension e510 I had sitting around to give to a younger relative. I noticed that the system seems to be moving very slowly. I know that the max RAM spec'd is 4gb (4 slots x 1gb). However, crucial.com shows max of 8gb. Out of curiosity I loaded up 4x2gb sticks to see what would happen. BIOS recognizes all slots with 2gb, but the system will not load windows with 8gb installed. I took out 2 sticks, and am now running 4gb (2x2gb). However the system seems to be running very slowly. Could this be cause by the RAM? Or is it more likely to be a HDD issue? I went to the Dell site and tried to run their SupportAssist app, which checks all your drivers and hardware which is supposed to take about an hour but twice, I have let it run for 6-7 hours and it was still not complete. It seems to get hung up when it is running diagnostics on the HDD as well. Well, that's my problem in a nutshell. Let me know what you guys think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2016, 12:05 PM   #2
TSF Enthusiast

The system running slow is probably not related to RAM unless the system is using all of the physical memory and having to swap to the disk a lot. It could be a hard drive issue if the diagnostic is hanging when testing the drive.

If you want to reset the PC, I'd suggest doing a factory restore which will delete everything on the computer and put a clean operating system back on along with the drivers.

If your system has a recovery partition you can typically restore through the alternate boot menu (F8) before Windows loads or using the Dell recovery utility installed on the PC. If you don't have a recovery partition you would need an install disc.

TSF does not support assistance through email or private messages, please keep all questions in the open forum.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:04 PM   #3
Networking Team |Tech

Hi there,

It's possible that the hard drive is bad on the computer. I recommend downloading a great HDD diagnostics utility called "Seatools" which can be found here = SeaTools for Windows | Seagate

Install Seatools on your computer, test the HDD, and see if Seatools post any errors. If so, then the computer HDD needs to be replaced.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-28-2016, 01:26 AM   #4
Registered Member

I will try to do the restore if nothing else works. I found a couple new drivers to try to install and I ran chkdsk and DELL HDD diag tool, which has actually sped the system up considerably. For some reason SeaTools won't run on that system. It gives me a pop-up about a bad DLL or something. But chkdsk said everything is okay, so I'm willing to take that. I will keep posted, but I think I am almost there. Thanks y'all.
Closed Thread