Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Ram Is Ramming a hole in my head

This is a discussion on Ram Is Ramming a hole in my head within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. Okay is have a Mainboard : Chipset : nVidia nForce4 SLI X16 Intel Edition Processor : Intel Pentium XE 930

Closed Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
Registered Member

Roll Eyes

Okay is have a

Mainboard :
Chipset : nVidia nForce4 SLI X16 Intel Edition
Processor : Intel Pentium XE 930 @ 3000MHz
Physical Memory : 2048MB (2 x 1024 DDR2-SDRAM )
Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT
Hard Disk : Seagate ST3500410AS ATA Device (500GB)
Hard Disk : Seagate ST3500630A ATA Device (500GB)
DVD-Rom Drive : SONY DVD RW AW-Q170A
Monitor Type : LCD Monitor - 17 inches
Network Card : Marvell Semiconductor (Was: Galileo Technology Yukon 88E8053 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper)
Operating System : Windows Vista (TM) Ultimate Professional Media Center 6.00.6000 (32-bit)
DirectX : Version 10.00
Windows Performance Index : 4.4 on 5.9

now i had a problem with my computer not booting up and so i took my cpu to a pro shop to get fix. Now he calls me days later say my ram wasn't compatible so i had four sticks, he took out two so i brought new ram and the computer started to do the same thing. so then it hit me why is it that these two are the only ones working so i took those two out and put two others in the other two slots dont work. so i leave one on one side and put one back where it came from it comes on wow right...so i got to look at the ram and its only recognizing one stick of ram saying its a 1g ram so i put both of them back now it says i have 2 gbs i need to figure this out because sims 3 takes alot of memory.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2010, 07:52 PM   #2
Registered Member

upping for help
Old 11-25-2010, 07:26 AM   #3
Emeritus

Install one stick of RAM into one slot. If all is well repeat the process with the same stick of RAM in each Mobo slot. If that stick works in all slots repeat the process with the other sticks.That will determine if all the Mobo slots and all the RAM sticks are working properly.
Filling all the RAM slots on a Mob can cause Voltage issues.
Brand & Model of your Mobo & PSU?
Nvidia chipsets are known for issues.
Intel CPU's prefer Intel chipsets and very often do not play well with Nvidia chipsets.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
Registered Member

but my question is how do i fix the voltage issue then
Old 11-29-2010, 08:44 PM   #5
TSF Enthusiast

My System

Did all of your sticks of RAM work in each slot of the motherboard?

If so, you're probably having voltage issues and / or overloading the memory controller. The only fix for this will be using 2x2GB sticks to achieve what I'm assuming is the 4GB of RAM you want. However, you're running 32 bit OS, your PC won't be able to recognize / utilize 4 GB of RAM, you'll get limited at a bit over 3GB.
Closed Thread