Go Back   Tech Support Forum > Hardware Support > RAM and Power Supply Support

User Tag List

Ram Crashing PC Freezing.

This is a discussion on Ram Crashing PC Freezing. within the RAM and Power Supply Support forums, part of the Tech Support Forum category. I've been reading about what could cause my PC to become unresponcive for about a week, the problem started while

Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
Registered Member

I've been reading about what could cause my PC to become unresponcive for about a week, the problem started while running FFXIV. symptoms were less severe, hanging and buzzing at intervals, as far back as a year. Which would clear up. It now becomes unresponcive-- hangs and buzzes (speakers) Its a new copy of Windows, but I ran malware bytes, superanti spyware, CC cleaner an glary tools.

I've run Mem test, cleaned out the dust and checked the temps on my CPU and GPU both are fine the GPU doesn't get hotter than 69-74c, before the error occurs. I have decent cooling.

I feel it's the timing and voltage of the ram which I've never been able to get quite right since there are so many variables.

I've had 4 sticks of A-Data 1600 dual channel timed at 9-9-9-24. 1.74 volts For years even though the stick says 1.65v it was never stable.

I've either got to get this timing right or replace parts. I was hoping there were more settings I could adjust since there are so very many. before I start Replacing perfectly good parts.

1k watt Powersupply
i7 960
Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5
GeForce GTX 560 Ti
4x2 1600 A-Data Gddr2
Win 7 home installed on a blue WD 4TB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2014, 06:05 AM   #2
Visiting Tech

My System

My bold added:
Quote:
I feel it's the timing and voltage of the ram which I've never been able to get quite right since there are so many variables.

I've had 4 sticks of A-Data 1600 dual channel timed at 9-9-9-24. 1.74 volts For years even though the stick says 1.65v it was never stable.
If changing these settings from the defaults resulted in performance that was "never was quite right" and "never stable", then why stick with them. That should have been a sign that something was wrong, and you needed to back off. This clearly indicates to me you need to reset your BIOS and undo all your clocking changes and run at the "expected" default settings.

Then see what happens.

Why did you use that RAM? When buying RAM (or a CPU) you should ALWAYS consult the QVL for your motherboard. You MUST buy a listed CPU and you MUST buy RAM with the same specs as listed RAM to ensure compatibility and support. Your Memory QVL is found here. Note there is no DDR2 listed. And the specs say DDR3 1.5V RAM is supported. DDR2 RAM will not even properly install on that board without using excessive force to jam the sticks in the slot - so I will assume you are using DDR3. But, I fear not totally compatible DDR3.

It sure looks to me like you selected the wrong RAM to start, and you are pushing it to unstable limits. Not a hardware problem, but, and no disrespect meant, but a user problem. :(

Finally, note this is a "hybrid" motherboard. It supports both dual-channel memory with 2 sticks and triple-channel memory with 3 sticks. If me, I would toss your current RAM into your spare parts bin and buy a triple-channel kit of 3x2Gb for 6Gb total (or 3x4Gb for 12Gb if budget allows) of RAM with same specs as the QVL listed RAM - since it appears you are running 64-bit Windows (assuming the 4x2Gb spec is right).

FTR, this illustrates why I really don't like overclocking, except maybe when using the motherboard maker's own dedicated OC tool (if supported by that board) that manages all the timings for us users. As you correctly noted, there are just too many variables that are difficult and take time to understand, even for experts, in order to do it right, and safely - all for performance changes that typically are only truly noticeable on paper and benchmarking programs.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
Team Manager - Hardware
Acting Manager, Security Center

My System

Did you run full memtest scans where each test has 8 frames and you should run at least 2 tests and if yes were there any errors?
As much as it could be ram and I am not thrilled with AData ram from my own experiences, this could just as easily be hard drive failure so I wold run chkdsk /r to see what you get and also maybe Seatools to check the drive itself though most of those utilities are only helpful about half the time in my experience.
SeaTools for DOS | Seagate

How to perform disk error checking in Windows XP

All PC's are not the same. Posting your PC specs will help us to assist you quicker and more effectively.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2014, 03:16 PM   #4
Registered Member

Yes, yes & yes. It does seem rather ridiculous now that you mention it. DDR3 it is. Great ideas, when I bought the ram it was on the compatibility list(which is very long) I remember that much, I with something near the top hence A-Data . Maybe I just assumed all ram had to be Overclocked or something- I made the investment found settings that basically worked and went with it.

I'm going to look over the supported hardware list is there a brand you might recommend as far as 3 channel RAM concerned?

The Hard Disk is brand new but I'll run the tool kit anyway. Thanks for your time.
Old 11-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #5
Registered Member

There's the problem I have dual channel A-Data ram where it only supports tripple Chan. If I'm reading that "v" right.
"Note 2:
When enabling Dual Channel mode with 2 memory modules, be sure to install them in the DDR3_1 and DDR3_3 sockets"

There are six sockets which are 1 & 3. ll ll ll I hope I still have my manual.

right now I have them as such - II II xx
So 1 2 3 4 5 6, 1-3 2-4. I'm probably just going to get the tripple channel ram the only supporting brand for 4 th sticks of 1600 is Samsung and they sell it only in 6 pcs.
Closed Thread